New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Miting View Post
    true, it's just a classic example of when a door closes, another one opens.

those investors who initiated capital flight, just let go of an opportunity for the taking of other interested investors. kaya I really dont buy the news these days na we're doomed. investment will just change hands, we just have to patient bec. these things dont happen overnight.

One poster said alot of Pinoys lost money in the stock market abroad.

Kasi naman e, they should have invested their money here na lang.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Eto pa...Those Pinoys who invested their money abroad and lost, made a terrible mistake and should have invested here instead....

Business Mirror
    November 19, 2008

[SIZE=3]RP as an Investment Destination[/SIZE]

By Honey Madrilejos-Reyes/Reporter

IT seems that having a cheap stock valuation bodes well for the local stock market, after all.

This, as the [SIZE=3]Switzerland-based financial-services firm Credit Suisse,[/SIZE] in its latest global-equity strategy report, [SIZE=3]cited the Philippines as one of its recommended markets in emerging Asia alongside China and Thailand.[/SIZE] The report excluded Japan as an emerging market in the region.

Credit Suisse also said that share prices in emerging markets in Asia have cheaper valuations and offer stronger returns on equity investments.
    Credit Suisse picked out 30 stocks, of which eight are listed at the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE). These are Philippine Bank of Communications, Union Bank of the Philippines, Energy Development Corp., Metropolitan Bank and Trust Co., Globe Telecom, Manila Electric Co. and Megaworld Corp.

The PSE, for its part, said Credit Suisse’s report is a further testament that the local stock market and the Philippine economy have the necessary elements to be resilient amid the global financial crisis.
    “This recognizes our market’s potential and encourages us to intensify our efforts in promoting stock-market awareness among the public,” said PSE president and chief executive Francis Lim.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    kahit baligbaligtarin natin, the Phils. is still a developing country.

The Phils. is still politically unstable.

Every few years, meron kudeta...

If u had billions of pesos, would u keep all you money here?

Like if u had millions of pesos, would u keep all your money in the rural bank of tawi tawi? (i just made that up ok?)

No. u would keep it in a big bank like BDO or Metrobank.

Yan ang thinking ng mga rich pinoys.

it's about stability.

The biggest banks in the Phils. are still Philippine banks... the Philippines is just a developing country...

What if bumagsak ang Pinas sa kamay ng mga rebeldeng sundalo?

Paano na pera nila?

will the banks still open?

will there be a State that will back up the Phlippine Peso?

will rebel soldiers obey the constitution and protect the rights of civilians?

The rich just stability and security for their wealth.

So they put their money in US or European banks.

Who would have thought crisis would hit the global financial system?

it's always easy to comment after things happen.

The view is always clearer in hindsight.

Yes, the rich pinoys did lose a lot of money in US stocks.

But they will recover.

And i'm sure they will still put their money in foreign banks.
    Last edited by uls; November 19th, 2008 at 07:25 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    kahit baligbaligtarin natin, the Phils. is still a developing country.

The Phils. is still politically unstable.

Every few years, meron kudeta...

Like if u had millions of pesos, would u keep all your money in the rural bank of tawi tawi? (i just made that up ok?)

it's about stability.

The biggest banks in the Phils. are still Philippine banks... the Philippines is just a developing country...

Paano na pera nila?

They just want more stability.

So they put their money in US or European banks. And invest is US stocks.

The view is always clearer in hindsight.

But they will recover.

So what are these your saying then?

????????

Tell me, are you going to put it in the bank of tawi-tawi?

Obvious choice naman di ba?

The biggest banks in the Phils. are still Philippine banks... the Philippines is just a developing country.
    ?????What do you mean?

Now, compared to AIG and other large but dead American banks, I rather put my money in Philippine Banks.

Malapit na Citibank.

Is this a comment, opinion, fact or prediction?

hindsight?
    Last edited by jpdm; November 19th, 2008 at 07:27 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    we are sooo not on the same page.

kaya everytime i explain something, u come from a totally different direction.

---

kaya nga sabi ko madali mag comment pag nangyari na ang nagyari.

Like ngayon we saw what happened to the US financial system, it's easy to say "sana dito nalang sa Pinas sila nag invest"

it's like after seeing the winning lotto numbers, then u say "sana yan mga numero ang tinaya ko"

Who would have known this crisis would happen.

And it's not like as if they just started keeping their money abroad when this crisis was developing.

They have been keeping their money abroad for decades.

And it has worked fine for them.

Who would have known mangyayari itong crisis.

gets?

---

that bank of tawi tawi analogy is how i explain their view of Philippine banks.

Kahit BDO or Metrobank pa yan, 3rd world bank parin yan.

Some years ago, our banks were even put on an international watchlist (for money laundering)

That's how our banks are viewed by the international community.

---

i am just explaining to you how the rich pinoys think... how they view things

they view things from a global perspective

And to them, even if they live here, the Philippines is just a small, developing country with an immature, unstable political system, an undeveloped banking system and undeveloped capital market.

--

that's one of their fears.

So having money abroad, a foreign passport, houses abroad... they can easily fly out of the country when their safety is threatened.
    Last edited by uls; November 19th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Well, the recession hitting the world right now adversely affected the seemingly safe Pinoy investments abroad especially in North America and Europe..

They should now bring their investments here in our country to help our economy weather the crisis.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by True Faith View Post
    Well, the recession hitting the world right now adversely affected the seemingly safe Pinoy investments abroad especially in North America and Europe..

They should now bring their investments here in our country to help our economy weather the crisis.
    Agree.

Actually, I just read in the newspaper a Fil-norwegian is putting some money here in a joint venture project...

Fil-Ams also are venturing in some businesses here.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post

it's about stability.

The rich just stability and security for their wealth.

So they put their money in US or European banks.

But they will recover.

Hmmmmm.......

There will be ups and downs but our country has so many sources of strength — [SIZE=3]a well-capitalized banking system,[/SIZE] manageable external payments position, easing inflationary pressures, and OFW remittances,” he said.

The financial turmoil, which began with the bursting of the housing bubble in the United States and high default rates on subprime mortgages, has already resulted in the [SIZE=4]bankrupty of many large and well-established investment and commercial banks across the world.[/SIZE]

“We do not think all of these battered issues deserve to trade at their current price. Some companies possess very strong balance sheets with minimal debt.

Conrado Bate, president of CitisecOnline, said many shares are currently priced at only a fraction of their real worth. “Some are actually priced at only 30 percent of what their owners paid for them. Now is the time to buy stocks for the long-term.”

Among CitisecOnline’s stock picks are [SIZE=3]Manila Water, Jollibee, SM Prime, Ayala Land, Bank of the Philippine Islands and Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co.[/SIZE]

From Philippine Star

By Zinnia B. Dela Peña
    Updated November 20, 2008 12:00 AM

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Conrado Bate, president of CitisecOnline, said many shares are currently priced at only a fraction of their real worth. “Some are actually priced at only 30 percent of what their owners paid for them. Now is the time to buy stocks for the long-term.”

Among CitisecOnline’s stock picks are Manila Water, Jollibee, SM Prime, Ayala Land, Bank of the Philippine Islands and Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co.
    What do u expect from a guy who is president a stock brokerage?

syempre sasabihin nya yan

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    And I will say to him even if fundamentally they are cheap. Cheap is relative to the beholder. If the market (aka majority of the participants) thinks its still expensive then they sell it down and make it even cheaper. If you have a patience of a saint then go ahead and buy as for me its back to time deposits and buying currencies like the Yen as my play for this market.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Pinoy Investments Abroad