1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    yep

oil price almost hit $150 in July 2008

very hot ang LPG conversion and fuel saving device threads during that time

and the oil price threads

everyone was hating the oil companies

naalala ko dami nagagalit sa akin coz i kept saying it wasnt the fault of oil companies

hehe

Hehe pati sakin daming nagagalit for saying its not the fault of the oil companies but rather the speculators (like me ) who simply bought oil not to use it but because they smelled money along the way. Kung baga, there was going to be a bigger idiot who would buy it up as the frenzy goes on and as it becomes headlines in the mainstream media. God I love bubbles, just be very quick!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by br733 View Post
    at present, ethanol is more expensive than gasoline. so gasoline prices will go down if we get rid of the ethanol blend today. i think this has been the trend for quite some time already.

to be fair, at the time this bio thing was being proposed, ethanol was indeed cheaper than gasoline.

the selling point of ethanol is not its price, but that it is a renewable energy source as compared to fossil fuel which may be finite.
    solar and wind are renewable

ethanol?

i don't think so

you plant, you harvest, you plant again, you harvest again

soil gets depleted

you have to irrigate, fertilize

you need diesel burning equipment to harvest

actually ethanol isnt that environment friendly

you still burn it

so it produces greenhouse gases (you burn plants, you still get smoke)

and to produce ethanol, you need land

land which can be used to plant food crops for humans instead of fuel crops for cars

planting crops for fuel affects food prices

when farmers switch from planting for food to planting for fuel, food prices go up

ethanol only makes sense to politicians

like the USG pushes ethanol coz they wanna reduce oil imports

the US buys oil from countries not friendly to the US (the US is making its enemies rich)

they wanna move away from that

dito sa atin, it's more for reducing oil/fuel imports coz the govt has no control over import prices

if you have less imports, and you have a local source of fuel to make up for the reduced imports, you have a bit more control over prices

but the plan failed coz oil companies still have to import ethanol
    Last edited by uls; July 28th, 2010 at 03:31 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    lintik na E10 iyan. tanggalin nalang!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    bakit hindi nalang kaya nila gayahin yung mga gasulina dito sa canada,,, 10%,5% and 0% ethanol.. yung pinaka mura yun ung may 10% ethanol yung sumunod yun naman ung may 5% ethanol then yung pinaka mahal yun ung walang halong ethanol... mukang mas ok pa pag ganito ginawa nila

93 octaine= 10% ethanol
    95 octaine= 5% ethanol
    97 octaine= 0

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gud4u View Post
    bakit hindi nalang kaya nila gayahin yung mga gasulina dito sa canada,,, 10%,5% and 0% ethanol.. yung pinaka mura yun ung may 10% ethanol yung sumunod yun naman ung may 5% ethanol then yung pinaka mahal yun ung walang halong ethanol... mukang mas ok pa pag ganito ginawa nila

93 octaine= 10% ethanol
    95 octaine= 5% ethanol
    97 octaine= 0
    Its because the lawmakers of this country are idiots and cannot think any further than their personal bank accounts and financial kickbacks.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    isa pa ngang problem na naiisip ko, 100% sure nga ba na 10% lang ang ethanol na nahahalo nila? baka mamaya nasa 13% or 15%, who knows.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Is the use of LPG driven by environmental concern? If not, then, we could not compare it with the ethanol blend in our gasolines, as it is (arguably) mainly an "environmental policy"...
    Nah. The primary motivation for LPG is lower cost of fuel.

In a sense, you could compare it with ethanol because there's money in the equation too...but LPG never masqueraded as being environment-friendly, even before it was brought here.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    solar and wind are renewable

ethanol?

i don't think so

you plant, you harvest, you plant again, you harvest again

soil gets depleted

you have to irrigate, fertilize

you need diesel burning equipment to harvest

actually ethanol isnt that environment friendly

you still burn it

so it produces greenhouse gases (you burn plants, you still get smoke)

and to produce ethanol, you need land

land which can be used to plant food crops for humans instead of fuel crops for cars

planting crops for fuel affects food prices

when farmers switch from planting for food to planting for fuel, food prices go up

ethanol only makes sense to politicians

like the USG pushes ethanol coz they wanna reduce oil imports

the US buys oil from countries not friendly to the US (the US is making its enemies rich)

they wanna move away from that

dito sa atin, it's more for reducing oil/fuel imports coz the govt has no control over import prices

if you have less imports, and you have a local source of fuel to make up for the reduced imports, you have a bit more control over prices

but the plan failed coz oil companies still have to import ethanol
    Ang galing Very comprehensive.

Yes I agree that ethanol isn't all that attractive from a "renewable energy" kind of perspective because it's eating into what would otherwise go into our stomachs.

Maybe for people who are well-off that isn't such a big issue, but one doesn't have to look outside our own shores to see people who could use corn/sugar cane/etc. as a food source and not just raw material for ethanol.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I agree with this. I personally don't like the blending of ethanol to gasoline, kahit yung bio-diesel, nagiging underpower ang hatak ng engine. Had an experience na parang 'napanis' yung fuel ng car ko nung pa-full tank ako. Parang mas mabilis mag-evaporate then you have to step hard on the gas pedal para humatak.

Same banana, or worst, lalo pa ata tumaas yung price ng gasoline nung may halo ng ethanol

As usual, meron nanamang kaluluwa sa gov't ang nakikinabang sa importation na ito.

Peace

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009

but one important detail overlooked by the bureaucrats: local ethanol producers cannot produce enough ethanol to meet local demand

overlooked detail: oil companies won't bother supplying CNG to a tiny number of CNG buses

the quantity is too small that investing in infrastructure is NOT worth it

stupid bureaucrats
    i think the finer details are not overlooked, they were INTENTIONALLY OVERLOOKED

pardon me, but these people are not stupid: they have very high credentials and graduated from prestigious universities here and abroad. the truth is they already saw the impending problems of implementing this law. what they did was make the most out of it - by making sure their bank accounts are well fed from the consequences that arise after the law was passed (e.g. mandate = compulsory implementation but not enough production = importation)

let us not forget what the government did upon the implementation of the Oil Deregulation Law (why sell your shares of Petron - the only oil company that you can control the pump price, after implementing the ODL???) sa ginawa nila na yun parang binenta na nila Pilipinas... ODL is a good law, and the objective was good, but the Government let go of their ace they're holding... sayang.

these people will eventually get what is due to them... i still believe in karma.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Philippines should stop importing ethanol for purpose of blending into gasoline