New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    This makes an interesting read. A Philippine senate research paper on Nuclear Energy:
    http://www.senate.gov.ph/publication...e%20Future.pdf

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Uhhhh simple gas and energy problems di na kaya what more nuclear power. They (senate people) could use it though to kill themselves

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There is also the problem of E10 gasoline destroying/damaging engines.

-the general lack of information dissemination on which vehicles can use E10
    -the lack of choice (of non-E10 gasoline) when the law comes to full effect in 2010

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Think of the waste from a nuclear power plant -

Waste water from heat exchange units, excess heat thrown into a nearby body of water (cheaper way to cool it) raising temperatures in the area up to 5 degrees effectively destroying the aquatic ecosystem, radioactive waste from the reactor itself, highly stable gases from the cooling tower (look white clean smoke! clean? yeah....like noble gases...), etc.....

Some nuclear plants maintain waste containment units years after these came out from a nuclear plant.

And the BNPP is supposed to be entombed after 30 or so years of operation with (if I remember the tech sheets they gave decades ago) at least 10 meters of concrete. It's old technology which should not even be considered anymore.

I just wonder how many qualified nuclear engineers we actually have to run such a plant.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    With the way those knucklehead people operated those Dams during the last Ondoy, you think I'd trust them with Nuclear Power?

No way, Jose!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    as an electrical engineer na minsan nasa topic namin yan, my answer will be NO.

first, ang bataan nuclear power plant, chop chop na ang mga components niya. last may, i was there at masasabi ko, napabayaan na. secondly, eh kagaya ng sabi ni sir old, lumang technology na yan. remember na tinayo yan nung time ni marcos at hindi lang napa-operate gawa nang may nakita silang possible leak na pwede maapektuhan ang surroundings niya. also remember the kansas incident na nag-leak ang kanilang nuclear plant, ayaw ng mga tao na maulit pa yun. lastly, ang mga taong nagpapatakbo or involved diyan are not capable. why? kurakot muna bago patakbuhin. pilipinas ito, alam naman natin lahat na kada action na gagawin, may protesta agad. so hindi talaga tayo uusad kung ganyan ang attitude natin.

at kung sakali man, dismantle na ang bataan. kelangan ng bagong site para sa nuclear power plant kung magkaganun.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Sure, we are. If the senate offices are transferred right next to the reactor, why not?

Btw, the Phils is ready for anything as long as you serve hamboorjer in Wack Wack.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
    Sure, we are. If the senate offices are transferred right next to the reactor, why not?

Btw, the Phils is ready for anything as long as you serve hamboorjer in Wack Wack.
    my thoughts, exactly.
    i think we are not ready not because we lack the technical know-how. facility contractors can supply the technical expertise if we need it (ge has expats in some nuclear power plants in japan).

we are not ready as a nation because of the level of corruption in this country which readily neglects public safety just to satisfy their greed. safety inspectors will just give a sign off as long as he gets something for himself. imagine the nuclear waste going out of the plant and ending up underground or in the bodies of water conviniently disposed by the people involved.

the officials' awareness and concern for public welfare just do not exist, which make accidents inevitable to happen

hence, a big no!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    our neighbors in Southeast Asia are planning to build their first nuclear power plants:

indonesia 2017
    malaysia 2023
    vietnam 2020

so we were the first country to have nuclear power in southeast asia? damn, we really went downhill since the '70s.

edit: the Philippines is the first to build in SEA but never fueled.
    Last edited by Negus; October 30th, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    I think we're ready. The Filipinos Can.
    Pano ka uusad, pag ayaw mag think out of the box.

Although, pano kaya yun pag bombahin ng NPA? Like yun ginagawa nila sa Telecom/Meralco towers. Its one big nuke.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Is the Philippines ready for Nuclear Power?