New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 52 of 478 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Biglang bawi, napanood ko sa news kelangan pala daw 42k a month to live comfortably. nagkamali lang ng press release kahapon.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2lits17 View Post
    Biglang bawi, napanood ko sa news kelangan pala daw 42k a month to live comfortably. nagkamali lang ng press release kahapon.
    Mali ang formula sa excel!

The best and the brightest! Philippine Economy TalkPhilippine Economy TalkPhilippine Economy Talk

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Before you mock NEDA, please understand the context and how it was terribly misquoted.

TLDR: USec. Edillon was quoted out of context leading to a series of pointless and misleading reports and articles completely unrelated to the actual topic at hand: Inflation. But this post is long for a reason, so if you have the time and the desire to hear useful facts and truths, as well as the conviction to be just in making judgments, please read.

---------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has a right to critique whatever they hear, to have their own opinion, and to express said opinion. It is these rights and the people who actively exercise said rights that keep government in check to constantly remind them that -

"The government exists to serve the country and its people."

With that out of the way, as the son of USec. Rosemarie Edillon, as a Filipino student, and as an individual with these rights, I am glad to see that the Filipino people know that they have this right and actively use it, especially when something outrageous like a statement such as this comes out.

HOWEVER

What I am not pleased with is the fact that this statement was taken completely out of context by irresponsible reporters, warping the truth and the message that NEDA wanted to tell the Filipino people in their press conference on the inflation rate for May 2018. I say that as both a son, and a Filipino citizen seeking truth.

In the video below, what USec. Edillon was describing is the POVERTY LINE, which is defined as:

"The lowest possible income that a family can support, just to survive."

If you and your family are living on an income below that figure, you are considered poor by TECHNICAL definition. According to NEDA, that number is Php 9,758. That is completely unrelated to the outrageous "Php 10,000 sweldo" statement that is being reported on.

So where did the 10,000 sweldo idea come from?

NEDA attempted to explain the inflation rate through other means, different from just mentioning percentages, because to the Filipino layman who is too busy providing for their family to really think that all through, "The hell does 4.6% inflation mean?" And so, to do that, NEDA opted to illustrate what that 4.6% inflation rate means with a HYPOTHETICAL bare bones budget of Php 10,000. There is NO quote from NEDA saying that Php 10,000 is enough for a family of 5. For further explanations of this, here is a link with a briefer explanation:

P1, sample budget na inilabas ng NEDA, inulan ng batikos - YouTube

So where does all this misunderstanding begin? The difference in definitions of poor being employed by USec. Edillon and the news reporters. Given that this quote was given in a TECHNICAL press conference about inflation, TECHNICAL definitions will be used, and the technical definition of poor is:

"Those who live below the POVERTY LINE."

In contrast, the definition of poor being employed by the media is that of an evaluative nature, being:

"Those who suffer from financial handicaps that hinder their economic flexibility/mobility to the point that they would consider themselves poor."

The technical definition is used for data collection purposes, since it is the most accurate figure you can get through calculation to begin with (Formula found here: Poverty threshold (PT) | Philippine Statistics Authority), however, it does not factor in intangibles - like satisfaction, financial flexibility, opportunities to save, economic mobility, etc. - because intangibles are not quantifiable and in reality, differ from person to person.

The evaluative definition is used when trying to look at poverty to determine citizen contentment. This is when the term "Self-evaluated poverty" comes into play, wherein if the individual considers themselves poor due to their current economic situation, then they are poor. This is arguably the most acceptable definition of poor since who else would know that they are poor other than the poor themselves? However, due to the subjective nature of this definition and its lack of a basis, it cannot be used in national data as the numbers would be too mixed up, those who work with statistics for a living would know the importance of consistent variables in gathering, calculating, and arranging reliable data. In that sense, the EVALUATIVE DEFINITION would NEVER be used in the context of a TECHNICAL press conference, both the PANELISTS and the REPORTERS should know that, but if they did, this whole quoting out of context would have never happened.

I hope that clears up the quote being reported on, but now, I would like to emphasize on why this whole ordeal has me displeased.

Firstly, I am really pissed at how my mother is being treated by the news and netizens of MY own country, HER own country that I see her lose hours upon hours of sleep for every night. Wash off her make-up and see those eye-bags of a mother dedicated to her country Who would wake up at 6 to go to NEDA to work on policies and plans for the country, go home at 8 and stay up till 2 in the morning working on the next memo, the next presentation, the next proposed policy for the nation's disadvantaged, only to wake up at the same time again. I am proud of my mom's dedication to our country and am glad too when I hear stories from her about her other colleagues who are just the same. It pains me to hear how oblivious people are to the silent dedication of these men and women working hard to make government of service to the people, and how they would even MOCK said people as well, MOCK MY MOTHER.

Do not mistake this as me being angry with anyone, I just want the truth to be out there albeit, I am pissed.

With that out of the way, forgive me for defending my mother's honor as her only son. Now let me speak as a FILIPINO seeking the TRUTH.

The whole point of that press conference was to report on the INFLATION RATE for the month of May. But because of the false reporting that highlighted the out of context quote, what did the people understand from that? That our government is full of insensitive high-born brats or that My mom is an air-headed bureaucrat who knows nothing? Tell me, how does that help ANYONE. Did any of you learn anything about the Inflation Rate for the month of May? How that will affect you? How you can prepare for the upcoming month in light of what was just said? How you can even flourish despite all that?

To put it in a nutshell, this is what that 4.6% means:
    - Significant increases in prices for sin goods (Cigarettes, Alcohol, etc.) TRAIN LAW.
    - A shock increase in prices for Oil related goods (Gas, Diesel, etc.), but will normalize given a few months or fewer, expect higher fares for public transpo (not trains), in the meantime and look for transpo alternatives, TRAIN LAW. Expect this to affect other prices as well, (though it won't be that significant since products are delivered in bulk and companies also don't want their prices to go up and will find ways to negate that price hike).
    - Most Fish products are ridiculously expensive right now due to low supply, reason for this is still not sure and only limited to guesses for now, this would hopefully normalize in time, in the meantime, again, look for alternatives.
    - Rice might see price increases due to the new Rice Tariffs, but not very significant, and will normalize, and might even go lower than before over a few months. For now, cut down on rice consumption.

Now does the report below say anything about what I just mentioned above? Did you learn more useful things about what you can do from the report below from what I just stated above?

This is my point, the report is not only a product of misunderstanding, but it also accomplished nothing.

"Journalists report the truth and nothing but the truth," yes, this is true, but a misunderstanding cannot be considered truth. Journalists today should also be aware of the power that they actually hold and how that power can DRIVE people to ACTION; be it bad or good.

The truth doesn't exist for the sake of being the truth, it exists to show people what they have to do next. If Journalists consistently fail to adhere to the purpose of truth, then journalism should not exist for it would just do more damage than good.

I hope this post CLARIFIED the quote and its actual context, sent a CLEAR MESSAGE as to what JOURNALISM should be, CLEARED my mother's name, and relayed the TRUTH clearly.

As a side-note I hold no ill-will towards anyone because of this, the netizen's reactions are warranted albeit misguided, and the reporters and the people at NEDA are all human, people who make mistakes, who am I to judge having committed the same mistakes as well in the past? I just pray that this will not happen again.

God Bless you All

One of the reports in question
    NEDA: Disenteng budget na ang P1,/buwan ng minimum wage earner para sa pamilyang may 5 miyembro - YouTube
    I understand jokes made in jest but some people seem to believe that NEDA actually said that 10k was sufficient for a family of 5.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    this P10,000 budget issue is another product of the biased media taking things out of context intentionally to make the admin look bad

and gullible people who already dislike the admin swallow it hook line and sinker coz it's in line with their narrative that the admin is made up of stupid people

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    this P10,000 budget issue is another product of the biased media taking things out of context intentionally to make the admin look bad

and gullible people who already dislike the admin swallow it hook line and sinker coz it's in line with their narrative that the admin is made up of stupid people
    It works both ways, and is not unique to this administration.

As a casual observer, it appears to me that you swallow hook line and sinker anything that supports your narrative that the past administration was lacking in empathy.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    and as corrupt as any other admin

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Media is as corrupt as the government that they are criticizing ...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005

PHP under pressure

PH forex reserves on downward trend

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Before you mock NEDA, please understand the context and how it was terribly misquoted.

I understand jokes made in jest but some people seem to believe that NEDA actually said that 10k was sufficient for a family of 5.

I admit I have not watched the full coverage when NEDA made the presentation but I believe it was not clearly disclosed at the outset that the P10K budget was a hypothetical case. What leaves an impression on the mind of the reporters washow the P10K was being distributed to the various living expenses, and the rest is history. It is a good thing that the son clarified the data. Obviously, he is smart and could have shared a point or 2 with his mom prior to the press coverage.

In my personal view, NEDA should have been more circumspect when presenting data as facts and should explain clearly the analytics. Case in point, they made a statement that Philippines can become a middle income country by end of 2019 because of the build3X program. As to how filipinos will reach to that bracket remains a mystery.

Philippines can be upper middle-income nation by 2019 ? NEDA | Philstar.com

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    Ilang kotse ba yan OB? Baka evian pianagamit mo na tubig. 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    apart dream