New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    limgo,
    nangyari nga yan sa akin.....when we migrated here, armed with a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management with experience of course, coupled with automotive know how and experience too..nobody accepted me except for Starbucks since they told me, Phil. based experience doesn't mean anything to them and to think the positions I was applying for were only at the secondary levels [e.g. supervisor, assistants etc.].

One hotel was willing to give me a shot but the pay was low and couldn't justify other related living expenses. Starbucks was low too but the "tips" made it comfortable.

After only 5 months with Starbucks, a fellow pinoy helped me get a better job. Started as technician which I had no knowledge in electronics but they taught me how then worked up to being an assistant buyer now within a year....not that I am boasting or anything.

Just show them what you can do and that you can do it right the first time!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Experience is the same whether you get it in the US or in the Philippines. However, employers in the US might not appreciate it unless you are working for multinationals like P&G.
    It's up to you really on how you can use the experience you gain to move up in today's business world. My 2 cents is that our educational system is not developing enough quality graduates. Written communication skills have really deteriorated. I think it might be easier for you to get a good job here than in the US where there are a lot of qualified graduates as well as experienced people out of work. However, you won't earn enough to even cover your expenses initially.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Diesel
    limgo,
    nangyari nga yan sa akin.....when we migrated here, armed with a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management with experience of course, coupled with automotive know how and experience too..nobody accepted me except for Starbucks since they told me, Phil. based experience doesn't mean anything to them and to think the positions I was applying for were only at the secondary levels [e.g. supervisor, assistants etc.].
    yes, it's true, especially at the college grad and higher levels. ibang-iba kasi talaga ang culture and management practices in other countries, and it's also really hard to verify employment, do background checks etc. a degree from a philippine university (even the prestigious ones) is also worth much less in the states.

it doesn't mean that your knowledge and experience is necessarily worth less, it's just harder to get your foot in the door because US employers are not going to be impressed by unfamiliar qualifications, even if it is San Miguel Corporation or Ateneo university

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by missZ
    hhhmmnn..ok I'm one of those na nagta trabaho sa food industry..
    I'm a GM (General Manager) at Jack in the box and make 60k+/yr
    ( which I think is not bad for someone who did not finish college like me)
    if I were to move back to the Philippines, I don't think makakahanap ako
    ng trabaho sa Jollibee kahit Shift Manager lang.And working sa Jack,
    ni hindi ako pinapawisan,I don't even stay more than 5 hours at work
    kaya masaya na rin ako.
    OT: meron po bang bakante dyan sa inyo. gusto ko pa sanang
    mag part-time kahit minimum wage basta libre ang hburger, curly
    fries, onion rings, shakes etc... willing to work weekends too.

limgo: paki post na lang kung ano ang final decision mo. we're interested
    to know. if you decided to go back, mag kwento ka na lang ng mga
    experiences mo. balak ko din kseng bumalik.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    except for H1Bs. Kahit saang college ka pa nag graduate sa atin basta magagamit ka rito di na neccessary ang local experience. Skills pay bills.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Might move back to the Philippines...may mga tanong lang