New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    People Power that manifests itself as mob rule is a negative force, IMO.

However, I aspire for a day when another kind of people power will arise --when citizens will acknowledge responsibility for the kind of government they have, when Filipinos intelligently participate in electoral exercises and in making public servants accountable to the people whose taxes pay for their salaries, when we will say "enough" to corruption and lagay and demand integrity from our leaders and from one another.

When Filipinos become patriots, then true power will emanate from them, power than can move the country forward.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

1986,- we were the best nation and the most-respected people in the world. Our people power was the source of inspiration to every nation. If you're in another country,- you're a somebody

Sad to say,- we blew it, big time!

4606:rock:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It should be renamed as Idiot's Power as it no longer bears any meaning and only the idiots who fall for a politician's propaganda join those rally even if they know that nothing will change after the event hehe.

The original PP opened a big can of worms hehe.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I wonder how many people who think PP1 was a total failure were actually there? IMHO, it was a total success! The only immediate goals of PP1 was the removal of Marcos, the restoration of democracy, and the ascension of an honest leader who would TRY to weed out corruption and inefficiency. Only later did so-called 'experts' add so many high and lofty ambitions -- mostly out of the headiness of the era.And while PP2 may have been a disaster in a way, I was actually there when people were asking for Erap's ouster. But when someone came around and said only the VP could possibly succeed him, the announcement was initially met with DEAD silence. In retrospect, PP2 may have been an orchestrated event meant to bring about the ascent of LAKAS/KAMPI. For this reason, I don't think there will be any PP for quite a while. Pero naniniwala ako if the conditions of PP1 ever come about again, we will witness just how hard the 'soft' youngsters of the new generation can be. Lagi namang ganoon di ba? Older generations ALWAYS think the young ones are 'soft', only to be surprised time and again.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Uhm.... It was successful of getting rid of a dictator... only to do what? Put a zero-knowledge housewife as a puppet and opened the floodgates to even more idiotic, no-experience celebrities, athletes, and other characters in power?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Uhm.... It was successful of getting rid of a dictator... only to do what? Put a zero-knowledge housewife as a puppet and opened the floodgates to even more idiotic, no-experience celebrities, athletes, and other characters in power?
    +1

i honestly we, as a people, are slowly getting "there." we're at least learning from our past mistakes. mabagal because we are taking small baby steps. pero that's progress nevertheless.

also, i think that economic progress in a democratic setting is a near-impossible formula. only time will tell kung kakayanin natin.

oh yeah (and OT): nagkwentuhan ang barkada and naalala namin na jose rizal wasn't advocating philippine independence. what he wanted was to make us a province of spain, with a filipino representation in the spanish parliament. why? he realized that filipinos are too fragmented and cannot run a country.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO putting Cory as a figurehead at that time was a bitter pill we have to swallow.

The country needs to rally around someone, and at that time, Cory was the only "cleanest" choice. Who are you gonna put there at that time, Doy Laurel? Damn that's like shooting our selves in the foot again.

The guardians of democracy during those times (Lorenzo Tanada et al.) cannot be considered catalyst during those situations, the only choice was Cory, it's a stupid choice, but its what common sense dictates during those days and during those situation.

IMO we would be in a more unpleasant situation now if Enrile and Ramos decided to go against putting Cory as the Head of State and kept the powers between themselves.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    IMO putting Cory as a figurehead at that time was a bitter pill we have to swallow.

The country needs to rally around someone, and at that time, Cory was the only "cleanest" choice. Who are you gonna put there at that time, Doy Laurel? Damn that's like shooting our selves in the foot again.

The guardians of democracy during those times (Lorenzo Tanada et al.) cannot be considered catalyst during those situations, the only choice was Cory, it's a stupid choice, but its what common sense dictates during those days and during those situation.

IMO we would be in a more unpleasant situation now if Enrile and Ramos decided to go against putting Cory as the Head of State and kept the powers between themselves.
    yup, you're correct but the problem is that cory didnt know how to run a country. who's to say if we'd truly be in a worse state? look at hongkong, singapore, thailand... puro crony capitalism din naman sila pero ang ganda ng economy and mataas ang satisfaction surveys.

during cory's time, naging "free for all" ang corruption sa pinas. mas maraming nakinabang at mas malaki ang pinakinabangan ng mga pumalit. kumbaga ang naging parang battle cry nila, "tapos na panahon ninyo kaya kami naman!"

IMHO, at the time, the people were fed lies. we were led to believe that marcos' ouster will usher in a better philippines. instead what happened? are we honestly in a better state? i'm not a marcos loyalist, but neither am i pro-cory. i'm just stating my opinion based on observation as someone who has witnessed history unfold firsthand.

wala nang natitirang statesman sa pinas. like they say, the problem with philippine politics is that there are too many politicians and not enough statesmen.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    yup, you're correct but the problem is that cory didnt know how to run a country. who's to say if we'd truly be in a worse state? look at hongkong, singapore, thailand... puro crony capitalism din naman sila pero ang ganda ng economy and mataas ang satisfaction surveys.

during cory's time, naging "free for all" ang corruption sa pinas. mas maraming nakinabang at mas malaki ang pinakinabangan ng mga pumalit. kumbaga ang naging parang battle cry nila, "tapos na panahon ninyo kaya kami naman!"

IMHO, at the time, the people were fed lies. we were led to believe that marcos' ouster will usher in a better philippines. instead what happened? are we honestly in a better state? i'm not a marcos loyalist, but neither am i pro-cory. i'm just stating my opinion based on observation as someone who has witnessed history unfold firsthand.

wala nang natitirang statesman sa pinas. like they say, the problem with philippine politics is that there are too many politicians and not enough statesmen.
    I agree with you.

I too was there during those times, from beginning to end.

Just my observation after that event, even if Enrile and Ramos put their lives at stake by going against Marcos, people still don't trust them both. People were wary about them being former Marcos dogs.

Parang ang magiging sentiment ng tao kung kukunin ni Enrile at Ramos ang Malacanang "gusto lang pala nila umupo sa Malacanang eh, same banana din yan", something like that.

That's why I admire them when they acceded to the wish of the opposition to let Cory, aside from themselves, to sit at Malacanang because people want someone to rally around and that someone should have no trace of Marcos whatsoever and unfortunately the only person at that time was Cory.

Maybe if both Enrile and Ramos took power after Marcos, maybe we could have been in a much better situation now or maybe not.

But to me, it's between choosing the lesser evil at that time (Ramos/Enrile or Cory) and Cory was the lesser evil. Stupid choice yes, but wise decision from Enrile and Ramos.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    pwede siguro if good against evil....pero sa situation ngayon it's the devil who wants to overthrow the devil. ....like what I said maybe 100 years pa siguro.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mauulit pa po kaya ang "People's Power"?