New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Imagine being provided with a hi-end expensive car delivered at your door step with a full tank of gas that you can use for a week or so. Can you say anything about the car? Mahirap.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Sponsorships...

I do not read car reviews in broadsheets and magazines. Most of the test drives are sponsored by the car companies or done during a company junket----what do you expect! By the mere fact one is invited to such means a lot, you do not want your host to be offended--a very Filipino trait.

Integrity? One may say they are just playing it nice--sort of an informercial.

You can get more substantial information on car forums like this although you also have to sift through the information. Even owners have their own biases.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    You can get more substantial information on car forums like this although you also have to sift through the information. Even owners have their own biases.
    BINGO!!!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Depends on who's on the car forums.

Sad to say, very few owners have extended experience with competitors' vehicles.

If I'd driven a Corolla all my life, I would never admit to there being any shortcomings with my car. Because, simply, I have no point of comparison. Others? Well, fan-boyism on the forums is intense... and the amount of dis-information on the forums is incredibly annoying. 90% of my time on the boards is spent weeding out disinformation and hearsay.

Having access to test vehicles gives you a perspective on the industry as a whole, and how a car compares to its competitors. Before you can even be taken seriously as a motoring reviewer, you need to have driven quite a lot of cars, and you have to have good knowledge of automobiles. Granted, we're not mechanical wizards, but a good understanding of how engines, transmissions and suspensions work is a good start.

It's the same whether you're looking at print, internet, TV or the forums... there are guys who know, and guys who don't. I wouldn't dismiss local auto-journalists out-of-hand competely, because I've met quite a few who were very knowledgeable and honest... it's just that you have to look around to find them. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I think a car mag once invited local literary figures to review cars. Ayun, syempre wala naman sila alam sa oto, so puro palabok lang ang naisulat. But it was fun. They were great writers.

I read car mags just to check out the specs of cars. Pero di ako naniniwala sa reviews lalo na kapag alam mong pangit yung oto.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Integrity of our local auto journalists?