58 84.06%
  • Not Guilty

9 13.04%
  • i couldn't care less

2 2.90%
Page 3 of 422 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2004
    same year din yata 10 years ago when Belmonte and his cohorts e trinabaho si erap.
    we cant do anything about that. ganyan talaga sa congress. pag di ka sumama e tagilid ang pork barrel mo sa majority. ganyan din dati kay GMA. problema lang is katawa tawa talaga tayo sa mundong ito.
    i for one yung people power ni erap e hilaw.
    but i guess congress majority have a different plan for us.
    for now di ko na alam tama o mali. di ko na alam kung ano mangyayari kung laging ganito.
    tatangalin talaga ang sagabal sa kanilang mga interests.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    One thing very clear to me about this whole impeachment thing is that PNOY is expending great amounts of political capital in systematically dismantling the protective layers around GMA and ensuring that she stands trial.

I can only hope he also brings his attention to where it's needed too.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Is there a possiblity that cheap justice corona could resign?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    Is there a possiblity that cheap justice corona could resign?
    If you were to read into his speech given at the SC's Monday morning flag raising, I believe he wants to fight off impeachment instead of sparing the SC from this very grave chapter:

From Inquirer.net

Hours before the House of Representatives moved to impeach him on Monday, Chief Justice Renato Corona revealed a clandestine attempt to unseat him “by any means, fair or foul,” and warned the move could “destroy our democracy.”

Breaking his silence on an unprecedented attack mounted by President Benigno Aquino III against the high tribunal for allegedly blocking his reformist agenda, Corona urged his staff to remain vigilant against “enemies of the court.”

“We do not want to see a constitutional crisis befall our democracy. But if we are challenged to defend our independence, we shall not meekly walk away,” Corona said at Monday morning’s flag ceremony at the Supreme Court compound.

In his speeches before the Makati Business Club on December 1 and the National Criminal Justice Summit on December 5, Mr. Aquino questioned the high court’s impartiality in cases involving former President and now Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and impugned the legitimacy of Corona.

The Supreme Court later issued an official statement saying it was “disturbed” by the presidential attacks against the tribunal, but the chief magistrate held his peace in the spirit of Christmas.

“Reports confirmed the mobilization of a secret plan to oust me from office by any means, fair or foul,” Corona said Monday, reading from a prepared statement.

“I assure you I do not intend to leave (and) do as they please. I do not intend to leave you to fight this battle alone,” Corona stressed, adding that his decision earlier to remain silent did not mean “anything more than caution and patience” and that it should not be misconstrued “as a sign of weakness.”

He said the discovery of the supposed plot “that will destroy our democracy” prompted him to remind the court employees to “remain ready and vigilant.”

“We must keep our guard, otherwise the enemies of the court will surely take advantage of our good faith,” he said, without elaborating.

Promises to keep

Sounding like a field commander rallying his troops to a battle, Corona declared that “your Chief Justice continues to be in command and will lead the fight against any and all who dare to destroy the court and the independence of the judiciary.”

“I have been quietly preparing and will be ready to take more determined steps in the coming days,” he said.

“Do not forget, I am here. I am not going anywhere. I am your defender and most of all, I am your Chief Justice. Together we will face these challenges and fight all who dare to destroy the court and our system of justice under the Constitution.”

Corona delivered his strongly worded speech before hundreds of Supreme Court employees and seven justices, among them Associate Justices Bienvenido Reyes and Estela Perlas-Bernabe, both appointees of the President.

The Chief Justice then hit back at his critics. He said the job of the members of the judiciary was “not borne of electoral campaigns or the quest for publicity, but demanded by our principles and our sworn duty to uphold and defend the Constitution.”

“We have great plans for the court and promises to keep to the Filipino people… We must dedicate our lives and actions to building our edifice and securing the independence that is promised and demanded by the Constitution,” Corona said.

“This is our path, the only path to a principled life. By continuing with uninterrupted dedication to our work, we will prove all our critics and detractors wrong.”

Palace in denial

Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte denied the Palace had a hand in the purported plot against Corona and expressed surprise at the strong words that Corona used.

At the installation of Luis Antonio Tagle as archbishop of Manila, Mr. Aquino’s sisters Pinky, Ballsy and Viel were civil to Corona, relegated to the second row, as they exchanged the sign of peace.

The presidential sisters were seated in the front row, along with politicians. During Communion, Ballsy offered to step aside for Corona, but he graciously declined.

President Aquino has assailed the purported haste with which the Supreme Court had issued a temporary restraining order (TRO) against a Department of Justice travel ban on Arroyo, who was then seeking medical treatment abroad for a rare bone ailment.

A TRO is an extraordinary measure granted courts to prevent irreparable harm and protect an individual from awesome state powers. The justice department ignored the TRO, claiming Arroyo was attempting to evade prosecution.

Arroyo is now under hospital arrest at Veterans Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City after the Commission on Elections, meeting swiftly, decided to file electoral sabotage charges against her. Pasay City Regional Trial Court Judge Jesus Mupas then hastily found probable cause in the case and issued an arrest warrant against her.

The case against Arroyo stemmed from a statement by a provincial administrator of Maguindanao province that he overheard then President Arroyo order a 12-0 sweep for administration candidates in the 2007 senatorial elections. The administrator is facing charges in connection with the 2009 massacre of 57 people in Maguindanao.

In front of the Chief Justice, Mr. Aquino said Corona’s appointment was illegal because it was done within two months before the end of Arroyo’s term in June 2010, citing a constitutional prohibition.

The high tribunal had ruled that the cited ban did not apply to Corona and other members of the judiciary and the executive branch later acknowledged the court ruling. With reports from Christine O. Avendaño and Philip C. Tubeza
    One very interesting thing to note is that, how come the Integrated Bar of the Philippines and the Philippine Bar Association have not openly come out in support of Corona? It's very telling considering that in law school, would-be were taught not just to give due respect to the courts but also to encourage others to do so.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    If you were to read into his speech given at the SC's Monday morning flag raising, I believe he wants to fight off impeachment instead of sparing the SC from this very grave chapter.

yes, palaban si cj corona. but tingin ko, moot and academic nalang ang impeachment trial. si Pnoy pala ang nag utos sa house of representative.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    yes, palaban si cj corona. but tingin ko, moot and academic nalang ang impeachment trial. si Pnoy pala ang nag utos sa house of representative.
    sino ba maguutos? everything starts with the executive. as I've said only fool will say that there are 3 co-equal branch of gov't

7. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    its a classic fight of all times...Executive branch of govt versus the Judiciary, unfortunately the former has the power to influence and seek support from political allies and oppositionists thru a strategy of delaying their CDF not to mention the free media coverage of the issues courtesy of loving sis while the latter has a few people with a few resources to dispose off not unless dakilang pandak do something about w/c i doubt it coz of her numerous cases upfront...karma comes in 3...GMA, MA & CJ >>>

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    sino ba maguutos? everything starts with the executive. as I've said only fool will say that there are 3 co-equal branch of gov't

Executive pa rin on top of everything.

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    One thing very clear to me about this whole impeachment thing is that PNOY is expending great amounts of political capital in systematically dismantling the protective layers around GMA and ensuring that she stands trial.

I can only hope he also brings his attention to where it's needed too.
    yep 100% agree.
    after the last impeachment brouhaha(patok na naman ANC nyan) dun ko nakita mga hidden agenda nung mga gustong magpaalis kay erap nun. meron yung mga talagang nasa tama(after the trial balik uli sa ordinary job nila) at meron yung me vested interest(papogi ng papogi para tumaas ang political value kuno).
    irony of it is sila rin yung mga nangunguna sa anti erap nun like (Belmonte, etc)
    what if i di na naman nagustuhan ng prosecution ang decesion ng ng mga senador(especially yung di mga lawyer sabi ni mirriam) sino naman patatangal nila? si sen. president enrile kasi sya chief ng senate? kasi si CJ corona chief e pero ang nagdecision e lahat ng justices. hay
    parang nakikinita ko na naman yung itsura ng foreign friend ko. isang sarcastic smile sabay iling ng ulo sa sitwasyon ng bansa natin.:D

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    If you were to read into his speech given at the SC's Monday morning flag raising, I believe he wants to fight off impeachment instead of sparing the SC from this very grave chapter:

From Inquirer.net

One very interesting thing to note is that, how come the Integrated Bar of the Philippines and the Philippine Bar Association have not openly come out in support of Corona? It's very telling considering that in law school, would-be were taught not just to give due respect to the courts but also to encourage others to do so.
    nagcomment na kanina yata bro sa anc di ko lang sure kung IBP. but pati yung dean ng school ni de lima na san beda law school. although di nila kinakampihan si corona, they are quite surprised by the turn of events(in other words trinabaho sa bilis) and they warn of extreme caution kasi it will affect the goverment talaga.

Impeachment against CJ Corona..