New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    mayroon nga mga tao nag-iibang bansa na ayaw-ayaw makakarinig na umuunlad ang Pinoy dito. I have this classmate friend (female) who left '96 for the states, got married there and bought a house in Chicago with her husband and two babies.

noon bumalik family nya for a visit, nagkukwento kami sa dami ng mga naging changes dito like yun G4, GB3, Eastwood, The Fort, Alabang Filinvest, Flyovers & Tunnels, Baywalk-Malate, Reclamation etc. kala ko matutuwa sya. ang sagot ba naman eh parang di daw kapapani-paniwala na ma-achieve ng mga pinoy yun in a short span of time na tumigil sya states. nakapunta nga daw sya sa ibang places na na-mention namin, pero maasim ang muka nya. walang enthusiasm on her part ...

well I guess, some Pinoys who went abroad want us to stay the way they left it para pagbalik nila, maipapakita nila na successful sila.
    I agree
    Iniisip kasi nila naturingan ngang nakalabas sila ng Pinas tapos eto mas asenso ka pa sa kanila hehehe.
    Ang hindi ko maintindihan eh bakit nagagalit sila sa Pinas dahil mahirap sila? May kasabihan nga na "it is not your fault to be born poor, but it is your fault to die poor" (tama ba?). Magsikap para gumaan ang buhay.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    The Philippines is not poor but just too comfortable with the way things are and are not disciplined enough to carry out the correct actions. For example, the government has turned a blind eye to the squatter problem which has made the delivery of public services worse. they pay nothing for the electricity that they steal from Meralco which in turn raises the rates that we have to pay. They force hospitals to increase their rates to people like us as we have to subsidize the charity cases. They make it impossible for a lot of small businesses to survive as they would drive out customers by waiting outside the store or by stealing goods while they distract the help. They render our streets unsafe by putting spikes on the road or throwing rocks at our windows.
    We have also failed to prosecute notable people who have done the country wrong. Erap is still under arrest but not yet convicted. Imelda is still acting as if we owe her for what we have. Maybe the thought of a grandmother being in jail is something that our culture thinks is not being Christian but that's the law. We have failed to prosecute the military for their plunder of the American bases when it was turned over to us and for their malversation of funds earmarked for our soldiers.
    By not doing that extra step to keep everyone in line, its everyone for himself and that's what holding us from being good or acceptable to great.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    airshaq20, chua_riwap, et al, marami talagang pinoy na ganyan. Karamihan naman diyan eh inggit lang o yabang.

When I was working in the Middle East I met a pinoy who bluntly told me:
    "Alam mo padre, tayong magagaling na mga pinoy eh naglalayasan ng Pilipinas, kaya mga naiwan na lang duon sa atin eh mga latak."

Which I answered with:
    "Ang hindi mo alam, yung mga naiwan sa Pilipinas ang magagaling. Dahil sila, kahit matindi ang kumpetisyon eh nabubuhay. Tayo, hindi natin kaya ang labanan kaya tayo nandito."

He never talked to me again.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by blve_ice
    "The Philippines is a rich nation trying hard to be poor." Can't exactly remember who said this line pero I agree with him. We have the best of everything, the brightest minds in politics and government included. Unfortunately, some minds are too bright that they are blinded by it and their selfish ambitions and vested interests. If only we can get our acts together, nothing is impossible for the Filipino. I believe in what we can do and achieve. It's never too late to start over again.
    it was a cory aquino technocrat.. can't remember his name..was fired the next day he said the now popular quote.

popular quote was a reply to journalist querries on two things:

1) the purchase of momo chair (motorized reclining seat)

2) purchase of a car using two or more let's put it, "purchase limit" (can't recall the right term: illustration: one car max = 700,000. price of desired car was 1.6M, so he used 3 "purchase limits")

backgrounder: he was a former IBM chairman/president for phils. before joining cory cabinet as housing secretary*

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    migrate

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    When I was working in the Middle East I met a pinoy who bluntly told me:
    "Alam mo padre, tayong magagaling na mga pinoy eh naglalayasan ng Pilipinas, kaya mga naiwan na lang duon sa atin eh mga latak."

Which I answered with:
    "Ang hindi mo alam, yung mga naiwan sa Pilipinas ang magagaling. Dahil sila, kahit matindi ang kumpetisyon eh nabubuhay. Tayo, hindi natin kaya ang labanan kaya tayo nandito."

He never talked to me again.
    hahaha tutuo talaga ito sir SS,,may naringgan na din ako ng ganyan ..after 15 yrs nag work sa abroad..nasabi niya sa sarili niya buti pa mga naging kasama niya na naiwan sa pinas ay nakakasurvive pa pero sia ..halos ganon din lang ...ang kagandahan pa ay patuloy na nakapuwesto maga kaibigan niya sa trabaho samantala sia .konti lang naipon nia sa pag abroad..

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    RP's poorest provinces like those in Africa -- UN study
    Its richest just at par with Jamaica

First posted 04:15am (Mla time) Oct 26, 2005
    By Volt Contreras
    Inquirer News Service

THE COUNTRY'S poorest provinces have conditions already approximating those in some African countries, while the most progressive ones are just at par with Jamaica or Turkmenistan.

A United Nations-sponsored study gave this analogy in ranking the "Top- and Bottom-10" provinces in terms of their Human Development Index, a measure of well-being based on life expectancy, literacy, enrollment ratio and per capita income.

The 2005 Philippine Human Development Report (PHDR) said the Top 10 provinces were as follows (from highest to lowest): Benguet, Laguna, Batanes, Rizal, Cavite, Nueva Vizcaya, Pampanga, Bataan, Bulacan and Ilocos Norte.

The bottom-dwellers, in descending order, were Lanao del Sur, Eastern Samar, Western Samar, Sarangani, Zamboanga del Norte, Masbate, Basilan, Tawi-Tawi, Maguindanao and Sulu.

The 150-page PHDR was released yesterday by the Human Development Network, a non-profit group supported in the project by the United Nations Development Programme and the New Zealand Agency for International Development.

The HDI ranking of 77 provinces does not include Metro Manila since it is not considered a province but a group of cities that enjoy a decided advantage, being the seat of the country's political and economic power, HDN coordinator Toby Monsod said.

The UN defines human development as "the process of enabling people to have wider choices."

The latest PHDR -- the fifth undertaken by HDN since 1994 -- is consistent with previous findings that the country's poorest provinces were also the "most conflict-ridden," referring to those located in Mindanao.

The HDI measures an area's living standard not by its visible "urbanity" -- or the growth of factories or commercial centers in a locality -- but by how much the people enjoy "public goods" like health or education, Monsod said.

She gave this explanation when asked why a mountainous province like Benguet, known for its mining and agriculture-based economy, outscored the likes of Pampanga, Cavite, Bulacan and Rizal, which host sprawling urban centers and industrial parks, especially in their capitals.

A province may have a high-income level, she said, but may still have low HDI if it doesn't translate into "investments in health or education."

The UN-adopted measure of HDI ranges from 0 to 1, and "the closer to 1, the better," Monsod said.

Using that range, the poorest Philippine province, Sulu, got .30, and the best-performing Benguet scored 0.74.

Areas that score between 0 and .49 are categorized as having "low human development." Those between .50 and .79 qualify as "medium," and those achieving .8 to 1 are in the "high" bracket.

The report said the five lowest ranking provinces were already "comparable to the world's poorest countries located in Africa, namely, Niger, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso, Mali and Chad."

The highest ranking -- Benguet -- matches the HDI standing of Jamaica or Turkmenistan, it noted.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Proud to be a Laguna boi....

But what about the overall weighted average? Kumbaga, what are the population percentages in these regions?

Laguna and Rizal are very heavily populated compared to some of these regions, mind you.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHorse
    it was a cory aquino technocrat..
    backgrounder: he was a former IBM chairman/president for phils. before joining cory cabinet as housing secretary*
    that description fits rainerio reyes. former IBM president, but he was DOTC secretary. but i don't think the quotation is attributed to him. he certainly isn't someone who got rich in office.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i was just at makati city hall filing some paperwork.

for some strange reason, ang daming japayukis and j-wannabes dun (sa NSO office, and sa health center sa 7th floor).

anyway while standing in line i was listening to 3 people in front of me. 1 japayuki (who looked much older than her 22 years) and a mother and daughter. apparently the daughter was going to be a waitress/dancer in japan (and we all know where that ends up..) and the mom was helping with the papers.

the 22-year old was telling the mom and daughter that they should go for auditions in pansol, laguna. kind of a placement thing. and we all know what happens at these "auditions." i'm not the only one who's seen those sad pictures of dozens and dozens of filipinas in a low-rent resort in pansol being felt up (and probably much more, just not in the pictures) by a bunch of fat white guys or japs.

it thoroughly saddened me (because the daughter sounded so hopeful and even innocent, not at all like the 22-year old) that our country, and our government, is propped up by the foreign-currency remittances of our women spreading their legs in japan...

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
if you think the Philippines is poor..