New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    I'd consider RY and macsd positions 😊 , but in the meantime, i'd make former CJ Puno's suggestion a centerpiece of my administration...

Move to amend Charter in light of BBL takes off
    Inquirer.net, June 07, 2015 04:35am

The push for the convening of a constitutional convention (Con-Con) to amend the Constitution as the best way to address the thorny issue of the Bangsamoro political entity gained ground yesterday as hundreds gathered in Manila for the launch of a campaign for Charter change via a Con-Con led by retired Chief Justice Reynato Puno.

In one of his more emphatic speeches yet, Puno exhorted the public to join him and civil society groups in the campaign for constitutional change in a movement they call Bagong Sistema, Bagong Pag-Asa (New System, New Hope).

"It is high time for reform. It is high time to give a solution to all the problems of our country, not just in Mindanao. We can achieve this not by a piece of law from our Congress but through Charter change," Puno said to chants of "Con-Con, Con-Con!" from the crowd.

Puno earlier said the Bangsamoro Basic Law, if passed by Congress, would place the country in a "no-win situation."

On Saturday, he brought his call for a constitutional convention to a new level, with supporters rallying behind him.

Describing possible scenarios, Puno said the consequences of a failed BBL, aggravated by the disputes in the South China Sea, corruption and poverty, could be the tipping point for a crisis.

The win-win solution, he said, is to convene a constitutional convention where all the issues can be threshed out and the constitutional framework can be established for the kind of government envisioned for Muslim Mindanao.

"If I were the MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front), I would agree to this," he said, noting that an ordinary law that would establish the Bangsamoro political entity could be repealed and amended by the Congress at any time.

The launch of the movement led by Puno and other former government officials, including former Finance Undersecretary Milwida Guevara, former Budget secretary Salvador Enriquez, lawyer Ernesto Arellano of the National Federation of Labor, and former Ambassador Sanchez Ali was attended by about 2,000 mostly Manila residents at the San Andres Sports Complex in Malate.

They waved small Philippine flags as the former chief justice delivered his hour-long speech on constitutional reform and why he judged the BBL to be unconstitutional.

Saturday's event was considered one of the biggest pro-Cha-cha (Charter change) gatherings since a similar push for Cha-cha failed during the administration of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

Puno said in an interview that while the pro-Cha-Cha movement was not supporting any candidate in the 2016 elections, constitutional reform should be an election issue.

"It is important for us to know the stand of each of the candidates on this issue," he told reporters.

He dismissed Senate President Franklin Drilon's contention that constitutional amendments would take time and money, saying that the government must make time and effort to solve the biggest problems of the country.

"You cannot say we don't have time. We should find a way to have sufficient time. If they say it's costly, we have been spending so much for as long our problems have not been addressed," Puno said.

"It's a case of priorities," he said, listing poverty, corruption, political dynasties, inequality of economic power, elections as among those things that constitutional reform hopes to change.

Describing the Philippine election system as "political insanity," Puno said that without Cha-cha, elections would just lead to "a rigodon of the undeserving, the reign of the incompetents and the rule of the underachievers."

Puno explained that the BBL would only be possible under a federal-parliamentary form of government, which is not allowed under the Constitution.

"Congress cannot give the powers demanded by the BBL without destroying the unitary character of our government, without violating our Constitution," the former magistrate said.

The BBL, he noted, also lacked transparency and consultation as its flaws were only exposed after the tragic killing of 44 police commandos by Muslim rebels in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, early this year.

Puno also raised the questionable role of Malaysia in the Mindanao peace process, considering that it is locked in a territorial dispute with the Philippines over Sabah.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Maghahanda ng magandang kulongan ko pag malapit ng matapos ang term ko.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    first thing first. declare martial law. 2nd, implement death penalty for heinous crimes. 3rd, abolish congress. 4th, shift to federalism. mindanao produces more than 50 percent of GDP. yet, received less than 30 percent of government support in return. 5th, improved infra, esp train system. 6th, abolish the 60-40 rule on investments. just let it flow as what john keynes proposes. just the thing i will do in the first 6 months.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Change the qualifications on who can run for public office...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Change the qualifications on who can run for public office...
    Like what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post
    first thing first. declare martial law. 2nd, implement death penalty for heinous crimes. 3rd, abolish congress. 4th, shift to federalism. mindanao produces more than 50 percent of GDP. yet, received less than 30 percent of government support in return. 5th, improved infra, esp train system. 6th, abolish the 60-40 rule on investments. just let it flow as what john keynes proposes. just the thing i will do in the first 6 months.
    Sounds familiar bro...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cast_no_shadow View Post
    Like what?

like a foundling can run for president; a senator, foundling or not, whether a 10-year resident or not so long as she is a duly elected senator, can run for president.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post
    Federal form of government in the Philippines = War lord per state

60-40 foreign investment must be abolished, good call on that.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
    like a foundling can run for president; a senator, foundling or not, whether a 10-year resident or not so long as she is a duly elected senator, can run for president.
    Ah i see, akala ko baka kung ano anong degree/masters/doctorate ang required eh hehe

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Also qualification kung sino pde maging botante. Dapat may TIN numbers... :P

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
If you get Elected as the President of the Republic of the Phillippines