New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    and i believe that every voter votes with 'the greater good' in mind - the catch is that the voter himself IS the greater good or, more kindly, the greater good is aligned with his interests too.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    no, not "destruction of the country"

voters vote with their self interest in mind

if i'm a govt contractor, i will vote for someone who will award me govt projects

how many people make their living as govt contractors?

thousands and thousands of them

if i have a relative or friend running for office, i will vote for that relative or good friend

how may people have relatives or friends running for office?

if i'm a businessman, i will vote for someone who will protect the business sector or industry i'm in

how many businessmen are out there?

i can go on and on

i believe people vote with self interest in mind
    Is having an economically progressive country not part of self-interest? Is agricultural self-sufficiency of the country not part of the self-interest of the farmers? Is having quality and college education not part of the self-interest of every student? This is what you call intersecting interests where the self interest of everyone creates a crossroads to meet thereby becoming universal interest.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
    Is having an economically progressive country not part of self-interest? Is agricultural self-sufficiency of the country not part of the self-interest of the farmers? Is having quality and college education not part of the self-interest of every student? This is what you call intersecting interests where the self interest of everyone creates a crossroads to meet thereby becoming universal interest.
    yes

Adam Smith:
    "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages."
    which is why i said people vote with self interest in mind

not with the greater good in mind

it just so happens self interest leads to greater good (but not always)

like the butcher, brewer, baker engage in business for profit while providing people with burgers, beer, and bread

you were the one who mentioned "destruction of the country"

i never meant self interest = destruction of the country

what gave you that idea?
    Last edited by uls; April 9th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    then again if we go back here. . .

So, it follows that qualifications only mask the true intention of these people voting for Gibo, it is because of their selfish motivations and interest that bound them to Gibo, nothing more.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    yes

Adam Smith:

which is why i said people vote with self interest in mind

not with the greater good in mind

like the butcher, brewer, baker engage in business for profit while providing people with burgers, beer, and bread

you were the one who mentioned "destruction of the country"

i never meant self interest = destruction of the country

what gave you that idea?
    That theory of your's have already been discounted as mere fallacy. Why? Because in all aspects of life, government intervention would still be necessary to create order and equitable distribution of wealth. Profit is not the sole underlying phenomenon that motivates people, it is only an incident to the several factors that mold his decision. It fails to address the capacity of human beings for liberality.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    then again if we go back here. . .
    Nope, you go back to the presumption.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
    That theory of your's have already been discounted as mere fallacy. Why? Because in all aspects of life, government intervention would still be necessary to create order and equitable distribution of wealth. Profit is not the sole underlying phenomenon that motivates people, it is only an incident to the several factors that mold his decision. It fails to address the capacity of human beings for liberality.
    which brings me back to your reply to me:

Originally Posted by tabularasa
    kaya ko na-quote si Adam Smith is coz what you said reminded me of what he said (not coz i totally agree with Adam Smith)

the idea is quite similar

but it's a fallacy

so you just struck down what you said in the first place

is it just me or anyone else out there notice this guy contradicts himself a lot?
    Last edited by uls; April 9th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    which brings me back to your reply to me:

kaya ko na-quote si Adam Smith is coz what you said reminded me of what he said (not coz i totally agree with Adam Smith)

the idea is quite similar

but it's a fallacy

so you just struck down what you said in the first place

is it just me or anyone else out there notice this guy contradicts himself a lot?
    Nope. It is not similar. The context of Adam Smith's statement missed what I call intersecting interest because he only presents the underlying motivation of self-interest. In fact, he dislike the concept of government regulation that is why he espouses the view that economy should be self-regulating. In quoting such statement of Adam Smith, it does not raise the issue of the common good but only self-interest. However, experience shows that self-interest is not necessarily in agreement with the common good. That is why I took exception to your statement that every voter is motivated solely by self-interest.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    which is why i said:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Wow!
    Bigla kong naalala philosophy class ko sa Lasalle. Parang si Sir Gojoco at mga blockmates ko na mga abogado na ngayon. May ubermench pa at Pascal's wager. Ayon bagsak ako.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Gibo or Gordon? Parehong magaling at matalino!