New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Maybe Lt. Gen. Iqbal Singh Singha believes in passive resistance like Gandhi.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ^Maybe. Maybe not. But Al Nusra are notorious for beheading people, including children.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Based on the UNDOF's website, it's mandate is 1. Maintain the ceasefire between Israel and Syria; 2.
    Supervise the disengagement of Israeli and Syrian forces; and
    3. Supervise the areas of separation and limitation, as provided in the May 1974 Agreement on Disengagement. Out of place ata ang passive resistance...

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    fight or flight than become another pow/mia, any soldier will react naturally in battle. i personally think a maj gen who 'probably' never fired a single shot against an enemy combatant in his entire military career shouldn't be making foolish orders like such, even if that's what he learned from his master's deg in tactics

the thing is, i'm just a civilian and my opinion doesn't apply to soldiers like them. it was still a valid command, albeit mega lame

accdg to international law, the white flag may simply represent a desire to parley (or negotiate) with the enemy which may or may not result in a formal surrender

and the soldiers supposedly disobeyed it

assuming they immediately came under fire, a soldier who collaborates with another soldier to disobey a direct command is deemed seditious and must be court-martialled to determine whether it was an obligatory disobedience (good), or a failure of the chain of command (bad for the superior and his men)

laws of war and the rules of engagement evolve and adapt over time. the jury might exonerate them from this crime, otherwise, a dishonourable discharge wouldn't sound so bad, either

at least they don't have to be the lions for lambs anymore
    Last edited by Helios; September 7th, 2014 at 12:26 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    AFP chief happy with UNDOF commander’s change of tune
    Frances Mangosing

*FMangosingINQ
    INQUIRER.net
    6:24 PM | Sunday, October 12th, 2014

SULU, Philippines — The Philippine military chief is pleased that United Nations Disengagement Observer Force Iqbal Singh Singha has finally acknowledged the Filipino peacekeepers’ “bravery” in Golan Heights.

“Thank you very much,” Armed Forces chief General Gregorio Catapang Jr. told reporters in the sidelines after he spoke to troops at the 2nd Marine Brigade Headquarters in Jolo on Sunday.

Singha earlier labeled the Filipino peacekeepers’ escape in Golan Heights as an “act of cowardice.”

This was after Catapang sought investigation on Singha’s supposed orders to Filipino troops to surrender their firearms. The Filipinos refused to oblige and Catapang claimed this decision of Singha put the lives of the Filipinos in danger.

After taking hostage dozens of Fijian peacekeepers in Golan Heights last August, Syrian rebels tried to do the same to Filipino peacekeepers and asked them to surrender their firearms to which they refused. This led to a standoff and a firefight that raged for a few days, but Filipino peacekeepers managed to escape while the rebels were sleeping.

But just this week, Singha lauded the Filipino peacekeepers in Golan Heights that refused to surrender their firearms and engaged with Syrian rebels.

“The Filipino and Fijian peacekeepers bravely faced the situation, and exhibited raw courage, resilience and patience,” Singha said last Thursday in New York.

Filipino peacekeepers pulled out two weeks earlier than scheduled last month due to the escalating tension in the region.
    “You know we all have our interests. National interest, United Nations interest. So I think all is well that ends well. Bati-bati na lang muna tayo,” Catapang said.

Read more: AFP chief happy with UNDOF commander's change of tune | Inquirer Global Nation
    Follow us: *inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    fight or flight than become another pow/mia, any soldier will react naturally in battle. i personally think a maj gen who 'probably' never fired a single shot against an enemy combatant in his entire military career shouldn't be making foolish orders like such, even if that's what he learned from his master's deg in tactics

the thing is, i'm just a civilian and my opinion doesn't apply to soldiers like them. it was still a valid command, albeit mega lame

accdg to international law, the white flag may simply represent a desire to parley (or negotiate) with the enemy which may or may not result in a formal surrender

and the soldiers supposedly disobeyed it

assuming they immediately came under fire, a soldier who collaborates with another soldier to disobey a direct command is deemed seditious and must be court-martialled to determine whether it was an obligatory disobedience (good), or a failure of the chain of command (bad for the superior and his men)

laws of war and the rules of engagement evolve and adapt over time. the jury might exonerate them from this crime, otherwise, a dishonourable discharge wouldn't sound so bad, either

at least they don't have to be the lions for lambs anymore
    I wouldn't trust any party that has a history of beheading their captives. Putting themselves at the mercy of such people is the worst thing the Philippine peacekeepers can do. Their only leverage were their weapons and they were smart enough to hang on to them, idiot (UN) commanders be damned.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    ^Maybe. Maybe not. But Al Nusra are notorious for beheading people, including children.
    Then he is in the wrong line of work ^_^

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post

i've always had this notion that a military court isn't that hampered with legal technicalities, i.e. their rulings don't necessarily follow the letter of the law...and in a sense, is fair and just. Wala lang ngang appeal appeal ^_^

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Filipino peacekeepers at golan trade fire with syrian rebels