New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Personally I don't think he should inhibit himself, eh di pag ginawa niya inamin niya na bias siya, he's just but one vote anyway. Sa tagal ni pandak sa pwesto eh lahat naman ng justices meron connection sa kanya, doon sa 19 cases sino ibang justices doon ang consistent din na nag vote against GMA, so dapat sila din mag inhibit dahil impartial din sila...walang maiiwan sa kanila
    precisely shadow. so what can you say about sen. drilon's idea? logical ba? or 100% me hidden agenda sya.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    kaya nga inappoint ni pandak yang mga justices kasi makakasuhan ng marami ang lolang pandak. nagsisimula na...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    O sige na nga wag na syang mag inhibit.

Mag resign sya! Bweset!!!

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    kaya nga sabi ko dati PNoy should have listen to ex CJ Reynato Puno when he(Pnoy) offered a job to the ex CJ.
    CJ Reynato Puno knows this will all happen coz di naman bobo si GMA et al unlike Erap. di makakakurakot ng ganyan si GMA kung bobo yan at for sure bago gawin ang corruption me mga nakahanda ng countercheck ang mga yan.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Statistics do not lie, Mr. Corona....

(What you have (stacked against you) is against the laws of probability)

14.5K:higop:

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Isa lang masasabi ko dito. SC has lost its credibility.

Sa pag appoint pa lang sa kanya halata na agad eh. At ang bilis nilang mag desisyon pag manok nila ang nasa linya.

Coronaroyo should resign if he has little respect left in him. Wag na yang inhibit na yan, sala sa init sala sa lamit eh. Mag resign na lang.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    If we will follow the thinking of Drillon, only 3 PNoy SC justices will have no bias for GMA. Even Justice Carpio will be percieved as being biased since he too is a GMA appointee and was her private lawyer before...

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CoDer View Post
    Isa lang masasabi ko dito. SC has lost its credibility.

Sa pag appoint pa lang sa kanya halata na agad eh. At ang bilis nilang mag desisyon pag manok nila ang nasa linya.

Coronaroyo should resign if he has little respect left in him. Wag na yang inhibit na yan, sala sa init sala sa lamit eh. Mag resign na lang.
    all three branches of govt have no credibility. the system sucks. para sa nakaupo lang talaga.

Justice Carpio was a GMA appointee when the firm was still with her. now nung nag iwanan sila dun lalabas yung kanilang vested interest.

so all along Reyanto Puno is right.:D

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niwde11

precisely shadow. so what can you say about sen. drilon's idea? logical ba? or 100% me hidden agenda sya.
    No logical but wala rin hidden agenda more of self publicity

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Saw an interesting video called a "Teditorial" by Teddy Locsin on "Drilon's Whale of a Problem with Corona".

Just to sum up his points, he basically says:

i. Justices of the Supreme Court are appointed by the President, who in making the appointment makes sure they are sympathetic to him or her, or at least like-minded

ii. Justices nevertheless decide "as they please" or as the law pleases.

iii. Corona was "only" the Chief of Staff of Malacañang prior to his appointment to the SC.

iv. Forcing Corona or other justices so appointed by GMA to inhibit from her cases is unconstitutional as it deprives GMA from "equal protection of the law" --- meaning, no one would be left to decide the case

v. Forcing Corona to inhibit violates the Doctrine of Separation of Powers

I'll agree insofar as the first two points are concerned.

I beg to differ on the third since only Corona is being asked to recuse himself from GMA's pending cases with the SC not only due to prior association, but also due to perceived close personal ties to the former President. Even lower court judges would inhibit themselves if one of the party litigants before them was a former employer IF ONLY TO AVOID SUSPICION OF IMPROPRIETY. This is a very basic exercise of judicial ethics. Something which Corona is not familiar with since his only stint in the judiciary was with the SC.

There are no similar allegations of closeness with respect to the other justices appointed by GMA as they were appointed from within the judiciary. Corona was a political appointee, and a midnight political appointee to the position of CJ, at that.

As to whether or not GMA's right to equal protection is concerned, she has, in fact, enjoyed more protection by invoking the SC, no less rather than seeking redress from the Regional Trial Courts. She has, through her lawyers, successfully forced the High Court to consider matters of fact or evidentiary matters at first instance. Something which the SC does not normally do since the reception of evidence is reserved for the lower courts. She obtained a TRO, despite an explicit request from the government to be heard before the SC considers such issuance.

As to whether Corona's inhibition will violate the separation of powers doctrine, I pretty much think that's a stretch since the Executive and Legislative Branch of government has not arrogated for itself any of the judicial functions of the Court. In fact, the highest member of the SC is being asked to apply the rules of judicial ethics insofar as his consideration of GMAs cases are concerned. Nothing more.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Corona voted in favor of GMA in all 19 cases brought before SC