New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    CBCP urges people to rely more on faith than zodiac signs | GMA News Online | The Go-To Site for Filipinos Everywhere

As the Chinese celebrate the Year of the Dragon, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) noted Monday that a firm and steady faith is more reliable than the meaning of zodiac signs.

Life and living should not be based on the advise of fortune tellers, but on what one’s faith dictates, said CBCP Episcopal Commission on Youth executive secretary Fr. Conegundo Garganta in a statement released Jan. 23 when the Year of the Dragon begins according to the Chinese calendar.

“If only we are firm in our Catholic faith and practice it, there will be no more time for us to entertain other beliefs or practices,” said Garganta.

Still, the CBCP official said he respects other beliefs and traditions, including those of the Chinese.

Garganta asked people to stop relying on superstition, which is tantamount to disregarding their faith in God.

“Let us be more rooted in knowing what God’s plan is for us, because it is Him who calls us to life, and he has a unique plan for every individual,” the priest noted.

He also urged people to mediate and realize how they can “positively use” their God-given gifts. — VS/KG, GMA News

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I read that news report earlier today...

Garganta asked people to stop relying on superstition, which is tantamount to disregarding their faith in God.
    I guess having faith in a wooden statue is superstition... like the santo nino and the black nazareen.

It would be best to remind the Philippine Catholic Church that there are more than one religion in the Philippines and the world. Religious intolerance by the Catholic Church in the past has caused many wars and innocents massacred in the name of "God". It would be best to LEARN TO TOLERATE other beliefs or is the Philippine Catholic Church unable to learn from it's own bloody past?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 24th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Let them talk all they want...it's a free country, no one will listen to them anyway

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    What do you expect. Eh Buddhism karamihan ang religion ng Chinese.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    "If only we are firm in our Catholic faith and practice it, there will be no more time for us to entertain other beliefs or practices,” said Garganta.
    UNLESS your Catholic faith and practice can't seem to get you out of poverty so you entertain other beliefs or practices

"baket mga intsik swerte sa negosyo? ano kaya meron nila? masubukan nga..."

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    And this is why I'm a non-practicing Roman Catholic. When I need to talk to The Boss, I go direct and not through some middle man.

Fr. Garganta claims to respect other beliefs and religion but the message he delivers in that piece is plain intolerance and you should only have this belief mentality.

Frankly, there are a lot of things I no longer like about how the local church goes about things. They stick their nose into politics, and publish stuff like the piece above. Heck, there was even one priest that claimed that while you cannot take it (your riches) with you when you die, you can, however, send it ahead of you by giving your cash to the church. What kind of bull crap is that?!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    bunch of hypocrites. practice what you preach.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Padre damaso, tangalin nyo muna lahat ng statue sa simbahan nyo.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    the Catholic church feels threatened by Chinese zodiac and feng shui and lucky charms and belief in luck

mababawasan kasi sila ng followers

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    lilipat na lang ako sa grupo ni willie....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
CBCP urges people to rely more on faith than zodiac signs