New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    para sa hindi maka labas para sa sunday mass, heres a live link.

March 15, 22 (Sunday Service) - YouTube

2. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    ganda ng message sa facebook online streaming kanina; this article na-ipopost ko and the movie cinderella man

What the Early Church Can Teach Us About the Coronavirus
    March 12, 2020 | Moses Y. Lee

Christian Living
    March 12, 2020 | Moses Y. Lee

The early church was no stranger to plagues, epidemics, and mass hysteria. In fact, according to both Christian and also non-Christian accounts, one of the main catalysts for the church’s explosive growth in its early years was how Christians navigated disease, suffering, and death. The church’s posture made such a strong impression on Roman society that even pagan Roman emperors complained to pagan priests about their declining numbers, telling them to step up their game.

So what did Christians do differently that shook the Roman Empire? And what can the early church teach us in light of the coronavirus?

Non-Christian Response to Epidemics

In AD 249 to 262, Western civilization was devastated by one of the deadliest pandemics in its history. Though the exact cause of the plague is uncertain, the city of Rome was said to have lost an estimated 5,000 people a day at the height of the outbreak. One eyewitness, Bishop Dionysius of Alexandria, wrote that although the plague did not discriminate between Christians and non-Christians, “Its full impact fell on [non-Christians].” Having noted the difference between Christian and non-Christian responses to the plague, he says of the non-Christians in Alexandria:

At the first onset of the disease, they pushed the sufferers away and fled from their dearest, throwing them into the roads before they were dead and treating unburied corpses as dirt, hoping thereby to avert the spread and contagion of the fatal disease; but do what they might, they found it difficult to escape.

Non-Christian accounts confirm this sentiment. A century later, the emperor Julian attempted to curb the growth of Christianity after the plague by leading a campaign to establish pagan charities that mirrored the work of Christians in his realm. In an AD 362 letter, Julian complained that the Hellenists needed to match the Christians in virtue, blaming the recent growth of Christianity on their “benevolence to strangers, their care for the graves of the dead, and the pretended holiness of their lives.” Elsewhere he wrote, “For it is a disgrace that . . . the impious Galilaeans [Christians] support not only their own poor but ours as well.”

Though Julian questioned the motives of Christians, his embarrassment over Hellenic charities confirms pagan efforts fell massively short of Christian standards of serving the sick and poor, especially during epidemics. According to Rodney Stark in The Rise of Christianity, this is because “for all that [Julian] urged pagan priests to match these Christian practices, there was little or no response because there were no doctrinal bases or traditional practices for them to build upon.”

Christian Response to Epidemics

If the non-Christian response to the plague was characterized by self-protection, self-preservation, and avoiding the sick at all costs, the Christian response was the opposite. According to Dionysius, the plague served as a “schooling and testing” for Christians. In a detailed description of how Christians responded to the plague in Alexandria, he writes of how “the best” among them honorably served the sick until they themselves caught the disease and died:

Most of our brother-Christians showed unbounded love and loyalty, never sparing themselves and thinking only of one another. Heedless of the danger, they took charge of the sick, attending to their every need and ministering to them in Christ, and with them departed this life serenely happy; for they were infected by others with the disease, drawing on themselves the sickness of their neighbours and cheerfully accepting their pains.

Similarly, in Pontius’s biography of Cyprian, the bishop of Carthage, he writes of how the bishop reminded believers to serve not only fellow Christians but also non-Christians during the plague:

There is nothing remarkable in cherishing merely our own people with the due attentions of love, but that one might become perfect who should do something more than heathen men or publicans, one who, overcoming evil with good, and practicing a merciful kindness like that of God, should love his enemies as well. . . . Thus the good was done to all men, not merely to the household of faith.

The impact of this service was twofold: (1) Christian sacrifice for their fellow believers stunned the unbelieving world as they witnessed communal love like they’d never seen (John 13:35), and (2) Christian sacrifice for non-Christians resulted in the early church experiencing exponential growth as non-Christian survivors, who benefited from the care of their Christian neighbors, converted to the faith en masse.

Christian Response to Coronavirus

As we continue to wrestle with how to respond to the coronavirus, notice how non-Christians in the Roman Empire emphasized self preservation while the early church emphasized fearless, sacrificial service. Whereas non-Christians fled from epidemics and abandoned their sick loved ones as they feared the unknown, Christians marched into epidemics and served both Christians and also non-Christians, seeing their own suffering as an opportunity to spread the gospel and model Christlike love.

How might we put that posture into practice in the face of COVID-19, setting ourselves apart from the world in how we respond to the growing epidemic? Perhaps we begin by resisting the fear that is leading to panic in various sectors of society—instead modeling peace and calm in the midst of rising anxiety all around us. Perhaps we choose to patronize local Asian American restaurants and businesses that other Americans are avoiding due to fear-based stereotyping. We might also seek to sacrificially serve our neighbors by prudently abiding by the advice of medical professionals to help slow the spread of the disease. Instead of just our own health we should prioritize the health of the wider community, especially the most vulnerable citizens, by exercising an abundance of caution without perpetuating fear, hysteria, or misinformation. This might mean costs for us—canceling travel or planned events, or even self-quarantine if we think we’ve been exposed—but we should accept these costs with joy.

“Other people would not think this a time for festival,” Dionysius said of the epidemic of his day. “[But] far from being a time of distress, it is a time of unimaginable joy.” To be clear, Dionysius was not celebrating the death and suffering that accompany epidemics. Rather, he was rejoicing in the opportunity such circumstances present for testing our faith––to go out of our way to love and serve our neighbors, spreading gospel hope, in both word and deed, in times of great fear.

Moses Y. Lee (MDiv, ThM) will be planting Rosebrook Presbyterian Church in North Bethesda, Maryland this fall. He’s a contributing author to the forthcoming, Hear Us, Emmanuel: Another Call for Racial Reconciliation, Representation, and Unity in the Church (White Blackbird, 2020) and is co-editing a book on Asian American Presbyterianism. You can follow him on Twitter.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipo View Post
    Baptist are Evangelicals, Bible believing Chrisrians.
    BTW I'm from CCF. ☺

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
    Yes, Baptist are Evangelicals, Bible-based Christians There are different Baptist (e.g. Southern Baptist, Bible Baptist) in terms of worshiping, some don't like drums. Anyway, I'm not here to debate, I'm just glad that there are Christians here in tsikot.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    do i sound like i've never been to one of those?
    So it's not CCF you have been into, as experienced by littlemissy and Blancnoir. Born Again Christians thread.

You have to go there to see it for yourself.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my historian-colleague says,
    many of these america-based Christian / Protestant groups, were originally Anglicans.
    but because of the american revolution, it became survivalistic to change names, from Anglicans to something else.
    OT.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Doc with due repect you have to find out for yourself, as this concerns eternal consequences.

All mainline Christianity based their beliefs on the Bible, and why Paul said "to live is Christ and to die is gain" Phil.1:21, after being the chief persecutor of Christ followers.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    my historian-colleague says,
    many of these america-based Christian / Protestant groups, were originally Anglicans.
    but because of the american revolution, it became survivalistic to change names, from Anglicans to something else.
    OT.
    Protestants are basically a breakway group from the Roman Catholic Church

They saw errors in Roman Catholicism and created their own religion based on Roman Catholicism

They threw out a lot of stuff including the pope

Pero they disagree among themselves kaya ang dami sects

They don't have Vatican-equivalent central authority

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    So it's not CCF you have been into, as experienced by littlemissy and Blancnoir. Born Again Christians thread.

You have to go there to see it for yourself.

ano ba ung sa st francis square

9. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    ano ba ung sa st francis square
    Dati nandun yung CCF at pati din yung JIL.

You have to visit CCF main in Otigas cor C5 and experienced it yourself.

BTW my advice to doc applies to you as well about your claim on mainline Protestant and Roman Catholic. Born Again Christians thread.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Dati nandun yung CCF at pati din yung JIL.

You have to visit CCF main in Otigas cor C5 and experienced it yourself.

BTW my advice to doc applies to you as well about your claim on mainline Protestant and Roman Catholic. Born Again Christians thread.

yeah typical religious fanatic who believes his sect is the only way to salvation

walang pupuntahan itong thread

this is another one of those religion threads

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Born Again Christians thread.