Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    We're not a Christian nation.

We're a Catholic nation.

There's a big difference.
    Sakto!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Negus View Post
    religion. We are doing good compared to the US's deep south.

Top gear visits Alabama.
    YouTube - Top Gear in Alabama

that said, I think some parts of Christian religion is broken but you don't get harassed or killed when you're a non-believer in the Philippines.
    That video wasn't really about religion. Having "NASCAR SUCKS" and "COUNTRY MUSIC SUCKS" painted on your car is directly attacking what's dear to the locals in Alabama. The Hillary quote would probably turn a few eyes. But politics is much lower down than country music and NASCAR.

How would you feel if you saw car a spray-painted with "PINOYS ARE (animal or primate of choice)" on a highway in Metro Manila? It's freedom of speech. But, how many Pinoys would tolerate it?

I mean I'm not very fond of hiphop/rap. But, I'm not going into a black neighborhood in a car with a sign saying I don't like it. I'll probably get the crap beat out of me if not shot outright.

As for shooting road signs...... That's everywhere outside of population centers. Blame it on teen angst or alcohol. If teens aren't shooting them, they're stealing them. Why? I dunno.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 7th, 2009 at 07:11 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    How about their non-tolerance to gay person? I think this stems from the teachings of religion not particularly Christian, others as well. The gasoline station owners first comment was about them being gay, then the Nascar and Country music followed. religion and politics worst combination.
    Last edited by Negus; October 7th, 2009 at 08:17 AM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Amen to that!

OT: Warning,- text language not allowed....

8800:juggle:

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    This article makes me think "what-if" we were still a colony of the USA. We would probably be like Guam is today, basically the same except no poverty, no pollution, no garbage scattered everywhere, everything clean and maintained, etc.
    When was the last time you were here? Because there is poverty as the unemployment is high, there is pollution and garbage as people think the jungle is where they should dump their thrash. The only thing separating Guam from the Philippines is the US flag that flies here. Corruption is rampant and everyone knows it because just like in Manila the people in power steal, ask the Governor here where the funding for education went and why the garbage dump is under Federal receivership and why the Dept of Mental Health and the Hospital is on the way to being under receivership also. People here fly to Honolulu or Manila to get decent medical treatment. For an island that has less than 200K in population there is no reason to have homeless people yet there are plenty of those on this island. Like I have said the grass isn't always greener on the other side sometimes it's just painted green.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    religion. We are doing good compared to the US's deep south.

Top gear visits Alabama.
    YouTube - Top Gear in Alabama

that said, I think some parts of Christian religion is broken but you don't get harassed or killed when you're a non-believer in the Philippines.
    So your impression of the US South is from a Top Gear show? Having lived in the Deep South I can tell you the crap they portrayed is BS, the people there are some of the nicest people around.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    How about their non-tolerance to gay person? I think this stems from the teachings of religion not particularly Christian, others as well. The gasoline station owners first comment was about them being gay, then the Nascar and Country music followed. religion and politics worst combination.
    Anti-gay violence does occur here with some culminating in murder. It's not a white thing though.There are many, both black and white, who aren't tolerant of gays. Plus, it's not limited to the US, not by a long shot. There are other countries with anti-gay violence. Even the Philippines had that serial killer who targeted gays.

You could try a similar experiment by putting huge signs on your car saying, "I'M GAY!" (or BAKLA) and drive around Metro Manila, gauging people's reactions. Try driving in poor areas. Some street corner toughies would probably pelt your car with rocks.

I should know. One of my (non-blood relative) uncles was a laborer. He was always drunk, a wife-beater, and had a mean streak against gays. He passed away several years ago. I never really liked the guy even though he treated me (and my cousins) okay. It was probably his attitude that kept him in his rut.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 7th, 2009 at 09:18 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    When was the last time you were here? Because there is poverty as the unemployment is high, there is pollution and garbage as people think the jungle is where they should dump their thrash. The only thing separating Guam from the Philippines is the US flag that flies here. Corruption is rampant and everyone knows it because just like in Manila the people in power steal, ask the Governor here where the funding for education went and why the garbage dump is under Federal receivership and why the Dept of Mental Health and the Hospital is on the way to being under receivership also. People here fly to Honolulu or Manila to get decent medical treatment. For an island that has less than 200K in population there is no reason to have homeless people yet there are plenty of those on this island. Like I have said the grass isn't always greener on the other side sometimes it's just painted green.
    I was in Guam about two years ago but as a tourist. I guess I wasn't there long enough to see the proverbial dirt under the proverbial rug.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Two years ago, it was still sunshine and daisies. It became a manure farm I'd say....... late last year. Right now, it feels like the 80's again with hardship everywhere except this time around, we're more prepared.

Anyway, back to topic.... I think it's too early to start throwing blame around. I say let an independent board do an investigation. Perhaps those throwing blame around may end up being at fault too.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 7th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Article:  "DO THE MATH"