New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Si Danny papalit daw Gatdula

CUSTOMS Deputy Commissioner Danilo Lim is being eyed as the next director of the National Bureau of Investigation.

Lim admitted that Justice Secretary Leila de Lima had offered him the position, but clarified that he lobbied for the post.

“I know for a fact Secretary De Lima mentioned my name but other than that, I don’t know anything. I never talked to anyone about that. I never applied and Im not a lawyer. I dont know where the reports came from,” Lim said.

Reports of Lim’s move came after De Lima announced that NBI Director Magtanggol Gatdula has been relieved from his post after a fact-finding panel found basis to establish his role in the alleged kidnapping and extortion of an undocumented Japanese national last year.

Gatdula went on leave amid accusations of extortion against several bureau officials.

“The President will be replacing him. Director Gatdula is presidential appointee and CESO [Career Executive Service Officer] appointee may be removed anytime,” De Lima said, adding that she was given authority by the President to make a public disclosure of the fact-finding body.

De Lima said an investigation showed that Gatdula “had personal knowledge of the crime and cover-up.”

Recommended to be charged for the same crimes were NBI security and management division head Special Investigator Mario Garcia, his executive officer Special Investigator Jose Odellon Cabillan, their assets Chona Ellen Esplana and Virgelito Gutierrez alias Labsky, Gatdula’s special assistant Raul Dimaano, and 12 other security volunteers.

Japanese national Noriyo Ohara, 32, fled to the Philippines in 2009 to escape the Yakuza, often referred to as a Japanese criminal syndicate, who had killed her father and was out to get her, too.

She had been living with the Marzan family in Pangasinan when he was allegedly kidnapped by NBI agents and detained at the NBI.

According to Ohara's foster family, NBI agents asked for P15 million in exchange for the release of the Japanese national, who was held by the bureau last October 29. Her family also claimed that Ohara was threatened with deportation, pending the payment of ransom.

Of the P15 million allegedly sought by the NBI operatives, Ohara's camp paid a total of P6 million on October 29, and November 2 and 9, according to De Lima.

Despite the payments of huge sums, the Japanese woman was not released. The Marzans then sought the help of the media which exposed the kidnapping.

President Aquino had ordered Gatdula sacked for his alleged participation in the kidnapping of Ohara last October.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Friday said Malacañang had already served a notice of termination on Gatdula.

“This is to inform you that your appointment as Director of NBI is hereby terminated effective this date,” read the notice signed by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. which was distributed to the media by Justice Secretary Leila de Lima.

In a press conference, De Lima cited Aquino’s loss of trust and confidence in Gatdula as the reason behind the latter’s termination.

Last edited by Monseratto; January 21st, 2012 at 05:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Another Blackeye for NBI...