New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xoom View Post
    yes, if they get away with it, they will get stronger and do it again. also, if they fail, they will also try it again until they succeed. what's the diff?

here is however, my own version of the difference:

if they get away with it, the deal is done and the services are still delivered.
    if they fail, the deal is cancelled and we all have nothing to look forward to think out of the box, yan ang kelangan natin ngaun.

Sir additional lang po ...
    if they get away with it, the deal is done and the services are still delivered. But the Filipinos will be paying Php1 billion per year for 25 years from their 12%taxes(sana di na taasan dahil mataas na talaga, New York nga 10% lang yata).

if they fail, the deal is cancelled and we all have nothing to look forward to think out of the box, yan ang kelangan natin ngaun. Since the beginning there were nothing to look forward to becasue there were no feasibility studies nor blueprint of this kind of project.
    Last edited by sentra98; September 28th, 2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: correction

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    (UPDATE 3) NBN deal doesn’t make ‘economic sense’--experts

By Erwin Oliva
    INQUIRER.net
    Last updated 03:18pm (Mla time) 09/27/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- The government’s national broadband network project does not make “economic sense,” according to economic professors of the state-run University of the Philippines at the resumption of the Senate inquiry on the NBN project Thursday.
    Quoting a study he co-wrote, Professor Raul Fabella, former dean of the UP School of Economics, said the government’s attempt to create its own data backbone through the NBN project defied economic logic.

Instead of using the private sector to run the NBN, the government’s procurement of its own backbone will eventually increase cost of “unused” capacities now available in existing backbones, said Fabella.

PLDT and TelecPhil, which are run by a consortium of telecommunication companies, own data backbones that have excess capacities, said Fabella.

“These capacities in these backbones are not utilized. The more you use them, the less cost and the less users are charged,” he said.

Fabella stressed that the study they had conducted was not against the idea of government providing “last mile connectivity” to agencies and schools, which he said would cost about P5 billion.

“What we're against is acquiring its own backbone to conduit its own requirements,” the UP professor said.

Professor Emmanuel De Dios, dean of the UP School of Economics, stressed that the NBN did not address the “last mile connectivity” issue.

“Government is doing this supposedly to be connected to more rural areas. But creating a government backbone is not the answer,” he said.

De Dios argued that the NBN was compared to creating a digital expressway for government.
    “It is the last mile problem that prevents broadband access from becoming widespread,” said De Dios.

Earlier on Thursday, Fabella said that nobody paid for the research they did on the NBN project.

If there is anybody who paid for this study, it is the Filipino people,” said Fabella in response to Senator Manuel Roxas II’s question on why such a study was conducted.
    Fabella said that if there was any interest that was being served, it was the Filipino people’s.

He added that the UP School of Economics has been “taking a stand” on many issues.
    Unlike Wednesday’s jampacked hearing, the one being held this Thursday does not have as many people.

Apart from Fabella and De Dios, the Senate also invited former transportation and communication secretary Josefina Lichauco who, in her comment, claimed that she has opposed the NBN project, insisting that government should allow the private sector to do it.
    The Senate is looking into allegations that the NBN project that was given by the government to the ZTE Corp. of China was anomalous because it did not pass through the regular and legal procedures.

The UP experts and Lichauco agreed that the approval and forging of the NBN contract underwent what the former Cabinet official called an “unusual process.”

Lichauco said that, during her time at the helm of the Department of Transportation and Communications (DoTC), she signed projects only after getting a certificate as to the availability of funds.

In the case of the NBN project, she said it was approved by the DoTC even without this certification.

Lichauco compared the NBN project to the failed “Telepono sa Barangay” (telephones in the villages) that led to her resignation as DoTC head.
    The UP experts said they remain puzzled over why no feasibility studies were conducted on the NBN’s viability.

“Our impression of this project is that it was left to the line agencies and NEDA [National Economic Development Authority] only determined what was presented to them,” De Dios said.

He said the process by which NEDA evaluated the NBN project was just as puzzling since it did not consider other “modalities” to implement such a huge infrastructure project other than what the DoTC presented.

De Dios also noted that the rationale behind the NBN project, including the supposed means to force telcos to eventually drop their costs once the broadband network is running, is flawed.

“It is not clear what government wants out of this project. Yesterday, NEDA said it is also intended to chip away on the obscene profits of the telcos,” he said.

When Senator Joker Arroyo asked the UP professors how the NBN would reduce telecommunications costs, De Dios said it would not directly affect the profits of telcos.

Arroyo agreed and described the DoTC’s rationale as a “crazy proposition.”
    De Dios suggested that the build-operate-transfer alternative is an option government can take to allow the private sector to take on the “risk” of running and maintaining an NBN network.

Government can also use its inherent “bulk purchase” muscle to negotiate for lower rates with local telecommunications companies.
    But, he stressed, “the question of whether government should own it or not should not be left to a line agency.”

Quizzed by Senator Maria Ana Consuelo Madrigal, De Dios said he was surprised to learn NEDA does not consider it part of its duty to determine if a project should be government-owned or implemented through a build-operate-transfer agreement, and suggested that there is a need to “strengthen” the agency and allow it to evaluate projects.
    “Government is not spending on feasibility or pre-feasibility studies, so it is often locked-in to claims of project proponents,” De Dios said.
    “It is also a surprise revelation that a lot of research done on this project used the Internet. Experts should be tapped,” the UP professor said, referring to statements made earlier by former NEDA director general Romulo Neri.
    Fabella noted that the “Telepono sa Barangay” was given a “clean bill of health” by NEDA, but the project failed to take off.

from: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...ticle_id=91024

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    eto madals sabihin ng mga uncle kong chickboy kahit huli huli na...WAG KANG AAMIN KAHIT PITPITIN MAN ANG B&*TLOG MO!!!.....

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ganito na lang OB, para maintindihan mo..since you said you just bought a hyundai sta fe, siguro nag canvass ka rin and look for the best deal diba? so since a car is for one's convenience would you pay P3M for a hyundai sta fe? the end justifies the means diba? if ok lang saiyo then all of our cars are for sale exclusively for you.....

I doubt it kung magiging singapore or HK tayo if half of us think like you, how can that be kung sa singapore they don't take corruption lightly....

or maybe this is the "legal way" your talking about to earn Tcash....??? to go against everybody else kahit flawed ang reasoning mo....I just noticed na lately lahat ng post mo reagrding sa any subject kontra sa nakakarami......
    Last edited by shadow; September 28th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I also sense na karamihan sa inyo laging galit sa mga nasa itaas mga nasa posisyon, mga influential, mga sikat. Me, I respect the powers that be no matter how controversial they are. nilabas kasi nila lahat ng alas nila to get into that position. they risked a lot to be considered a power that be. something that I'd like to do someday too ...
    This is supposed to be out-of-the-box thinking??

In my case, hindi naman lahat. Dun lang sa mga dapat na kamuhian, people like Fat B*astard, Abalos, Pandak, Anak ni Pandak, et al. There are politicians I respect and admire, like Sonny Belmonte and Jovito Salonga.

The highlighted text is a very scary statement, bad grammar notwithstanding. Kaya nga nagiging corrupt yung mga politiko eh gustong makabawi. Old school kasi ako. If you want to serve the public, then do so out of the goodness of your heart, and expect nothing in return. Vigilance is the key. May mga tao namang ganun, we just need more of their kind in public office.

Hindi pupuwede na makuntento na lang tayo sa mga pangyayari ngayon because graft & corruption will never be eliminated. Pero we can minimize it, and ensure na hindi garapalan ang kurakot. Eh kelan pa tayo magbabago? I cannot sit idly by while some crooked politician makes a lot of money in a dubious deal, wherein the result will be na pati anak at apo ko babayaran ang isang napakalaking utang na hindi naman pala kailangan. Ika nga, "The besy way for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

For those who think its just OK tutal nandyan na yan, then kayo kayo na lang magbayad nun. Wag na kayong mandamay ng iba.
    Last edited by Galactus; September 28th, 2007 at 01:45 PM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    He-he! Bumanat na naman si OB..........

Anyway, we respect your opinion.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    or maybe this is the "legal way" your talking about to earn Tcash....??? to go against everybody else kahit flawed ang reasoning mo....I just noticed na lately lahat ng post mo reagrding sa any subject kontra sa nakakarami......
    hmmm... this made me think some more...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    if half of pinoys think like me, then we are a singapore or a hongkong.

you know why money becomes the root of evil, it's not bec. it's being corrupted or being stolen. it's because it reveals the beast in all of you. you people curse the officials, even to the point of wishing them to death or to harm's way. sa media and TV, all sorts of slander are in the airwaves. siraan ng reputation, personalan, siraan ng pamilya etc. etc.

if I'm Satan right now, this is the show that i really really want to watch on big screen TV. bec. this is hell on earth. good vs good vs. greater good vs. greatest good.

i say spend all of it no matter how much it costs, and enjoy the long-term benefits for the future generation.

I disagree. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion.
    Last edited by jpdm; September 28th, 2007 at 04:22 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I wouldn't care if the NBN project is oh so over-priced as long as the R&D of technology used is homegrown.

Anyway, the leader that anyone wishes for is only found on textbooks.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    NBN deal? Sabi nga ni Miriam doon sa mga involved," bakit di na lang kayo magbarilan sa kalsada [mafia style daw] para matapos na yang bangayan nyo tungkol sa kickbacks, bakit nyo pa dinala yan d2 sa senado,you're wasting our time", sabay tayo at walked out sa senate...ha ha ha at sana manonood ang mga uzi na rumor-mongering sa shot-outs para damay-damay na...
    Last edited by jeffrocks; September 28th, 2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: lacking

Abalos again!!!???