New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Oo nga, pwede siyang bweltahan dun. Conflict of interest.

agree. conflict of interest nga yang de venecia na iyan.

kung seryoso talaga ang senado, dapat lahat ng anggulo ay imbestigahan para may mabuong batas (LOL, asa pa!)

imbestigahan ang umanoy paggamit ng impluwensiya ni abalos at FGMA para mapunta sa ZTE ang kontrata.

imbestigahan din kung bakit ang anak ng speaker of the house ay kasali sa bidding ng isang public project.

baka naman matulad ito sa wiretapping kung saan naka focus si lacson sa "hello garci". nakakalimutan niya na may mas importanting issue pa bukod dun. lahat yun dapat ungkatin.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I like the articles and opinion of Conrado de Quiros, not because he is a dissenter but because his writings strike at the heart of what is wrong in Philippine politics - There is no honor.
    THERE’S THE RUB
    Bravery

By Conrado de Quiros
    Inquirer
    Last updated 01:23am (Mla time) 09/18/2007

The truly awe-inspiring news from where we stand was not the resignation of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, though that was awe-inspiring enough in itself. As everyone knows by now, Abe resigned because of scandals rocking his government, a falling approval rating, and crippling opposition to his hawkish policies, chief of them reviving Japan’s military might.

But like I said, this wasn’t the most awe-inspiring thing of all. What was, were the resignations of several other Cabinet members, chief of them the agriculture ministers. Over the last four months, Abe has had three agriculture ministers, and all three resigned out of shame over the messy state of affairs there. A fourth one, the agriculture minister preceding them, Toshikatsu Matsuoka, did not just resign from government, he resigned from life, committing suicide last May. He hanged himself hours before he was set to answer questions on bookkeeping anomalies.

The latest agriculture minister to go, Takehiko Endo, readily admitted his guilt. He was accused of getting government agriculture subsidies in 1999 for a farm cooperative he headed by exaggerating weather damage to its grape harvest. “I apologize,” he said. “The series of scandals has added to the people’s distrust.” And he promptly quit.

I remember again the Japanese guy who helped finance the Cherry Hills subdivision in Antipolo City readily admitting his guilt, weeping in shame over the deaths of many residents there, and promising to indemnify the victims’ kin. This while his Filipino counterparts, the people who actually handled the project, including conducting the feasibility studies that concluded the project was feasible, were busy pointing to one another and to the world as the source of the bane.

To say that the Japanese conduct strikes a contrast with our own is to say that the temperature of heaven strikes a contrast with that of hell. What was the mess in the Japanese agriculture department? Well, it merely had one agriculture minister charged with bookkeeping fraud and another with obtaining excess subsidy for his cooperative. The “merely” there is a comparative term, “merely” in comparison to our case. What was the mess in our agriculture department not too long ago? It was an agriculture undersecretary believed to be the alter ego of the presidential spouse handing out hundreds of millions of pesos in fertilizer funds to congressmen, half of whom had no districts to fertilize, for the barefaced reason of fertilizing the presidential bid of the incumbent.

What did the Japanese ministers do in light of the accusations? They resigned from office or from this life. What did Joc-Joc Bolante do in light of the revelations? He refused to appear in the Senate, backed up by his sponsors in Malacañang who cited Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s lunatic order forbidding public officials from testifying against her without her express permission, and eventually fled to the US seeking haven there. Thankfully, the US offers no haven to scoundrels -- except where they stand to profit immensely from it -- and threw the fellow in jail. He has languished there since then.

What does this say about the Japanese and us? Well, Japanese officials take the slightest whiff of scandal very, very seriously and hang their heads, literally and figuratively, in shame when it attaches to them. Filipino officials take the most brazen display of malefaction only laughingly and offer to resign but add hastily, “Joc only.”

The contrast between heaven and hell goes on. The Japanese prime minister’s party is crushed in an election, and he resigns, saying he no longer has the trust of his people. The Filipino President’s party is crushed in an election and she clings to power, saying a president is only as strong as she wants to be, whatever that means. A Japanese prime minister’s approval rating falls, and he resigns, saying the country is better left in other hands. The Filipino President’s approval rating plunges past sub-zero levels from everybody believing she stole the vote, and she says she … is …sorry, it was a lapse in judgment, she’ll punish herself by staying on. The Japanese prime minister is rocked by a scandal or two, and he resigns, saying he can no longer move from that weight. The Filipino President is rocked by one scandal after another, and she says life moves on, she stays on, the ZTE deal goes on, who the hell are the media, the public, and the world to stop them?

There and then, you see why Japan gets ahead and we don’t. There and then, you see why Japan prospers while we get stuck in the bog, or move on only in the direction of sinking in it. Honor is not superfluous to progress, it is its beating heart. Honor is not an impediment to striving, it is its driving force. The only way to surpass yourself, to transcend yourself, to do the heroic thing is through boldness, and boldness is inextricably linked to honor. I’ve always thought it was no accident that the samurai is both fearless and honorable -- those two qualities go together. And I’ve always thought it was no accident that the fox in Aesop’s fables is both cowardly and unscrupulous (though sly and manipulative) -- those two qualities go together as well.

We like to believe we are a brave people, “tapang” [bravery] being one of the values we cherish, aided in no small way by myth and movie that depict the hero to be so. But tapang is not doing the idiotic thing, like refusing to back off from a knife fight during a drinking spree gone bad, it is simply doing the right thing, like not defending the ZTE deal in the Senate as a senator while one’s law firm, ACCRA, has it for a client. Courage and honor are two sides of the same coin. The Japanese officials are “matapang” [brave].

Ours are just “matapang ang apog” [brazen].

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How can it be US vs. Chinese interests? This is clearly a matter of principles and integrity.
    Grabe naman itong si Abalos!! There must be a special place in hell for people like that.

As for Mike Arroyo, has he no fear of God??!! He was given a second lease on life and yet he continues with his greedy, mine-all-mine ways.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I tried but can't believe for now of the ZTE deal fiasco due to the ff;
    1.What if JDV III[his company] won the bidding?Does he talked negatives about it?
    2.Does he knew that bidding with the gov't has conflict of interest on his part?
    3.As of now,there's no contract signed yet.[afaik]
    4.The gov't side didn't release any single centavo yet.[afaik]
    among others.......again i think these will end up nowhere, not strong enough.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Nasa news lang kanina may mga senador na, na parang gusto ni idemolish yung credibility ni JDVIII. Ang tanong ko lang sa argumentong may vested interest siya. Tama nga na anak siya ng speaker at di dapat siya sumasali sa bidding...Tapos, pag napatunayan na mali siya....Ok na yung ZTE deal?? Kasi hindi credible yung whistle blower?? Kakabayad lang natin sa bataan nuclear plant..Please naman

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it looks like i just read the statement from the two younger aroyos

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    yang ang dapat kalkalin talaga ng mga senador.magsample naman sila sa mga admin.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrocks View Post
    I tried but can't believe for now of the ZTE deal fiasco due to the ff;
    1.What if JDV III[his company] won the bidding?Does he talked negatives about it?
    2.Does he knew that bidding with the gov't has conflict of interest on his part?
    3.As of now,there's no contract signed yet.[afaik]
    4.The gov't side didn't release any single centavo yet.[afaik]
    among others.......again i think these will end up nowhere, not strong enough.
    That's the problem...magsisinugaling na nga lang ang gobyerno, but they still couldn't get their act together. FYI, Sec. Neri of NEDA (now CHED Chair), Sec. Favila of DTI and Sec Teves of Finance claimed that no contract was sgined, but Sec. Mendoza of DOTC and Asec. Formoso did state for the record that a contract was signed, but that it was lost (stolen) in China!

This scandal may end up getting nowhere, but this will be due mainly to GMA and her cabal blocking the investigation, and NOT because of insufficient evidence. The public can wait until she steps down in 2010, and then it will really be a pleasure to see her hang after. It will be worth the wait.

Nakakapangilabot itong pandak na ito, andaming scandals!

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Pansin ko lang andaming whistle blower na naglalantad ng mga katiwalian pero in the end sila lahat ang napapsama..May ordinaryong tao lang na lumabas sa media...in the end nag retract umalis nalang ng bansa, may nag coup, nakulong siempre,(mali daw yung paraan pwede naman sa media ilabas ang hinanakit sa govt), ngayon big time na businessman naman..mukhang dine demolish ang credibility dahil anak ng opisyal pero sumali sa bidding..hehehehe wala nang nanalo

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang galing talaga ng mga arroyo, lahat na yata ng tao dito sa pilipinas eh sinungaln para sa kanila, at sila ang pinaka malinis, pinaka honest na tao sa mundo...P*#*! kayo mamatay na sana kayong lahat!!!! :mad:

Mike A did not interfere’
    By Jose Rodel Clapano
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 First Gentleman Jose Miguel Arroyo dismissed claims of influencing the son of Speaker Jose de Venecia Jr. to back off from competing for the national broadband network (NBN) project in favor of China’s ZTE Corp., his lawyer and spokesman Jesus Santos said yesterday.
    Santos made the statement after Jose de Venecia III named Arroyo as the supposed mystery man who told him to withdraw from the NBN contract.
    Arroyo flew to Hong Kong a day before De Venecia III named him as among the facilitators of the ZTE contract.
    Santos said Arroyo has no intention to evade any investigation. He said Arroyo’s departure last Monday had nothing to do with the ZTE controversy since it was planned even before he underwent heart surgery last April.
    “Mr. Arroyo does not, and will never, interfere in any government transaction. I therefore appeal to detractors of the government to spare the First Gentleman from their rumor mills and black propaganda. The only thing he wants now is to help the poor and the sick in his own little way and live a life in peace,” Santos said.
    He said the allegations that Arroyo went abroad to avoid investigation on the NBN deal are “disgustingly malicious insinuations.”
    “To even insinuate that he is trying to avoid the issue is totally unfair,” Santos said.
    Lawyer Ruy Rondain joined Santos in saying they will first secure a copy of De Venecia’s testimony at the Senate before considering possible legal options.
    “I want to see the transcript first before we talk about any legal action, if any,” Santos said.
    Rondain added they have not received any instructions from Arroyo regarding the allegations against him.
    “I won’t call him (Arroyo) because that would be presumptuous of me,” Rondain said.
    ‘Losing control’
    Negros Occidental Rep. Ignacio Arroyo also defended his elder brother from allegations he was evading the Senate inquiry.
    Iggy Arroyo said his brother had already planned the Hong Kong trip ahead and it was just a coincidence that his name was implicated in the controversy.
    Again, Iggy resented the way his brother has been treated, and doubted if the younger De Venecia’s Senate testimony is true. At the same time, he warned that the Speaker’s son should not have made a bid for the NBN contract, citing conflict of interest.
    “He (Joey) should realize that he made a bid and that is prohibited under the law, being the son of the Speaker. He can be put to jail for that,” he reiterated.
    “I feel bad because (my brother’s) name is being dragged again. I don’t think that’s true.”
    The second-term lawmaker, who belongs to the administration bloc, lamented that things are again “getting out of hand.” Arroyo nevertheless said it was up to the Speaker what to do with his son, adding he still has no idea whether this could affect the House leadership.
    “It’s the Speaker’s call. It’s his life. It’s up to him what he wants to do with his son,” Iggy said.
    According to Iggy, De Venecia might have lost control of his son.
    He said he had information that the Speaker and his businessman-son have been quarreling.
    “I think Joey de Venecia has been under rehab (rehabilitation) for drug addiction,” Iggy claimed.
    One of the lawmaker-sons of the First Gentleman, Pampanga Rep. Juan Miguel Arroyo, clarified that “Joey (de Venecia) never said that my dad was in the middle of the negotiation.”
    He asked the public to spare his father from the usual suspicions.
    Mikey Arroyo claimed he was clueless about the identity of the “mystery man” involved in the $330-million ZTE Corp. contract until De Venecia III claimed Mr. Arroyo was the mystery man.
    So when he heard the Senate testimony of De Venecia III, Mikey told reporters that he felt sad and that his immediate reaction was: “It’s my dad again?”
    He said he could not believe that his father was linked again to another controversy involving a government contract since members and relatives of the First Family are aware of the legal prohibition against their involvement in any manner in any government transaction.
    “We have been consciously staying away from these deals. In my case, have you heard of a report linking me to a government contract?” Mikey asked.
    Mikey agreed with his uncle that the same legal prohibition should apply to the Speaker’s son.
    “The way I see it, he (De Venecia III) is more liable under the law than anyone. His affidavit means that he was in the middle of this deal,” he said.
    Mikey pointed out De Venecia III admitted before the Senate inquiry that he had no personal knowledge that the First Gentleman was involved in the deal.
    “Joey de Venecia himself told senators he does not know if my father was involved. But I guess the media spin would be that he is involved, and that is probably what people will believe. People will believe what they choose to believe,” he pointed out.
    For his part, Camarines Sur Rep. Diosdado Arroyo said he does not believe the accusation of De Venecia III against his father.
    “Even the Speaker does not believe his own son,” he said.
    Interior and Local Governments Secretary and Presidential Adviser for Political Affairs Ronaldo Puno surmised Arroyo could have been joking when he reportedly pointed a finger at De Venecia III and asked him to “back off” from the NBN deal.
    Knowing the First Gentleman who also plays golf at Wack-Wack golf course in Mandaluyong, Puno said Arroyo “makes it a point to go to tables and greet everybody, being an all-around nice guy.”
    “He (Mr. Arroyo) always says hello to people. He could have come over (to De Venecia III’s group) and said hello and that’s not unusual,” he said.
    “He might have been joking or kidding him (De Venecia III),” he added.
    Based on what he heard of De Venecia III’s testimony at the Senate, Puno said he had the impression that Arroyo immediately stood up after talking to De Venecia’s son.
    Puno surmised that Arroyo had immediately left after seeing the meeting was beginning to get serious.
    He also dismissed speculations that the First Couple was involved in the alleged illegal activities surrounding the NBN deal.
    “If they believe parts of (De Venecia III’s) testimony, they should also believe other parts of his testimony that there is no link between the President and the First Gentleman with regards to the contract,” Puno said. “We should stick to the facts.”
    Puno, chairman of the Kabalikat ng Malayang Pilipino (Kampi), said the party is not considering any move to push for reorganization of the leadership in the House of Representatives headed by Speaker De Venecia Jr.
    “There is no declaration of war between JDV (De Venecia) and Malacañang, more likely it’s between JDV and his son,” he said.
    Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Benjamin Abalos also denied the allegations made by De Venecia III linking him to the deal.
    “I do not understand how he can come up with this kind of story. Wow! It is a big lie. There were no such meetings,” Abalos said.
    Abalos added he has no intention to appear before the Senate since it would set a precedent and will compromise the constitutional independence of the Comelec.
    Comelec spokesman James Jimenez maintained the Comelec had nothing to do with De Venecia III’s allegations against Abalos since they are personal.
    “I think the chairman is correct in not wanting to drag the Comelec into this. The Comelec should be kept out of this because this has nothing to do with any election… This issue is against him personally and not against the Comelec,” Jimenez added.
    ‘Loose cannon’
    Transportation Secretary Leandro Mendoza, for his part, said De Venecia III made a “well rehearsed attempt” to discredit the NBN deal.
    “I have read the affidavit of Joey de Venecia III and heard his testimony before the Senate (yesterday). Neither changed my view that despite his well rehearsed attempt at melodrama at the Senate, he is still a sore loser,” Mendoza said.
    Mendoza said if the Supreme Court will allow him to speak over the deal, he will prove that the NBN project went through the legal processes and is “aboveboard and for the benefit of the Filipino people.”
    Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago, on the other hand, claimed De Venecia III is being supported by a group wanting to oust President Arroyo before 2010.
    “(De Venecia III) is a loose cannon but he is not wild as he seems to be. I think that he is merely fronting for a group that is intended, whose ultimate goal is to create political instability so that President Arroyo can be removed before her term officially ends in 2010 and install another,” Santiago told a news conference following the five-hour Senate hearing yesterday.
    Santiago though did not identify the group supporting De Venecia III but stressed she has to get the evidence to identify them.
    “I have some idea who this other is... I don’t want to name names unless I have semblance at least of proof,” she said.
    Santiago blasted De Venecia III’s credibility for “spraying automatic gunfire” on Arroyo, Abalos and other personalities involved in the deal.
    She said the involvement of the First Gentleman in the NBN deal was not explained in detail by De Venecia III in his testimony. -With Delon Porcalla, Jess Diaz, Sheila Crisostomo, Rainier Allan Ronda

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Abalos again!!!???