New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    nope. the ethanol will come from the sugar in the sugarcane (like what they do in Brazil)

sugarcane --> sucrose --> purified and fermented --> ethanol

then the bagasse (a by-product) will be used for cogeneration

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbOy0JVw64]Ch. 6 - Making Ethanol from Sugarcane - YouTube[/ame]

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    if they used byproducts alone they'll produce very very little ethanol

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The weed... Jatropha... we already knew it wouldn't work. Now they're all pointing fingers at each other and people are asking why pilot programs weren't first implemented before the jatropha was planted.

-

As for sugar supplies. Funny thing. One of the limiting factors in local ethanol production is simply because sugar is a higher value product than ethanol. The only way to make farmers plant sugarcane for ethanol over sugar is to lower the price of sugar dramatically.

-

Right now, the Philippines requires 400 million liters of ethanol per year (estimated). We could only produce 100 million (estimated) with no expected shortfalls... but in the past few years, production has been erratic... sometimes as low as 16-40 million.

Given that ethanol gives 3% less energy, and we're talking about a total liquid fuel volume of 4,000 million liters (if we're replacing 10%)... then the total liquid used is 4,102 million liters.

So... we produce a maximum of 100 million liters, but we're still going to import 4,002 million liters of fuel (instead of 4,000 million). Operation successful.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    As for sugar supplies. Funny thing. One of the limiting factors in local ethanol production is simply because sugar is a higher value product than ethanol. The only way to make farmers plant sugarcane for ethanol over sugar is to lower the price of sugar dramatically.
    if i was a sugarcane farmer and i'm not bound by a contract i would sell my harvest to whoever can pay me more

sugar miller or ethanol plant?

usually it's the sugar miller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
"0m ethanol plant operation postponed in Philippines"