New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    A newbie here...

I own a 2001 Trooper. Got it 2nd hand.

I brought the Trooper to Isuzu Pasig for the following: 45,000 tune up and to check on the hard start, and increase in temperature which resulted in a check engine. The temp went to as high as 3/4 of the gauge. Almost a week later, I was told that I needed to change the thermostat. This was done. Numerous tests were done and the Trooper passed almost all the tests. Various water pressure and water tests were done. There was a finding, however, of loss compression in one of the cylinders and a top overhaul, replacement of injectors, and rail pressure control valve were recommended (WOW). Due to the prohibitive cost, and considering that various tests were done on the Trooper only in April, I was considering a second opinion. So I took the Trooper out last Saturday.

On Sunday, after driving for some 15 minutes, I noticed that the temp was beginning to rise again! This would occur when RPM was around 2000, but would recede when idle. I took it back on Tuesday, with a note that there was a significant drop in water level in the radiator (around 3 liters). Tests were done without any findings. Until the next Saturday, when Isuzu reported again a significant drop in water level. It was recommended to replace a coupling in the fan which was done as well as a clamp. Still, a drop in water level occurred. They surmise that the water is draining into the cylinder?!?!?!? (since they couldn't find an external drip).

To date, Isuzu Pasig has no exact finding. It wants to open engine to check. This is quite price prohibitive, and was not factored in the first set of tests in April nor in the 45,000 check up.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Olonam; September 17th, 2005 at 01:15 PM. Reason: incomplete title

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    water draining into the cylinder? if thats a headgasket leak then thats a PITA not to mention the wallet. 45,000kms 2001 trooper..thats alot of problems for a vehicle of that age..

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    also u mentioned that the temperature reached 3/4, that could have been the cause of the headgasket saying byebye or worse a cracked cylinder head but thats remote..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BBimmer's right, may crack na head gasket niyan. BTW, are you using the special oil (sa casa mo lang mabibili ito) for this model? Plus I don't think you have to replace those other parts, injectors, rail pressure controls...etc Is there an overflow in the reservoir or bubbles in the radiator when reving up the engine? The water should be just flowing and not producing bubbles. anyway the casa mechanic should have seen this.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sir Olonam,
    Next time please be more specific when it comes to the subject of a thread. The subject "where" is very vague and can be misleading. I opened the thread out of curiosity.

Anyway, going back to the topic, I own a 98 trooper and experienced a rise in the temperature last year. Isuzu couldn't find any leak/s either until my mechanic found out that my radiator needed to be cleaned and overhauled.

Have an external mechanic take a second look at your rig, particularly your radiator. An overhaul is very expensive.

I agree with Bluebimmer. Its very unlikely to encounter problems like yours on a vehicle at that age, unless it was not properly maintained.

Good luck and hope you fix the problem asap.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    tried to edit the thread name ... it should have been where did my water go?

anyway, isuzu pasig is looking at whether it is in fact draining into the cylinders...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i suggest going to other isuzu casas for a second opinion
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    if its draining through the cylinders would'nt it mix with the oil by now??? hence your oil should be colored milky chocolate when you check your dipstick..

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    im not a mechanic but maybe i can help.... i own an isuzu pick up and mind u, matibay ang isuzu na makina.... sayo pa na trooper yan....

pls have your cylinders checked for compression. it wont cost you P500. that alone will tell you a lot of things kung kailangan na nga buksan o hindi.

re ur water, eto.... based on experience lang po.... if the water goes to the cylinder, dapat may white smoke sa tail pipe mo. white smoke not in the early mornings ha... white smoke all throughout the day and as you press you accelerator, dapat lalong lalakas ang white smoke.

if you water has mixed with your oil, pwede mo rin i-check ito..... after running the engine til normal operating temp, check the dipstick. instead of a black colored oil, dapat medyo milky ang color nyan. that happens when u mix oil and water then u stir it (sa pump).... but it will eventually separate coz oil does not mix with water. kaya check the dipstick right after you turn ur engine off.

to check if your gasket is leaking, may dalawang tests na pwede gawin...while malamig ang makina, open the radiator. start the engine. dapat tatalsik ng malakas ang water kung may leak. sometimes hindi rin sya tatalsik so u have to do the secodn test.... tanggalin mo ang tube connecting to your intake manifold. have someone start the engine. dapat may back pressure dyan... dapat medyo palyado din ang makina... kung hindi pa rin......

drain the water sa radiator mo. kung mukhang malinis sya, mayeb u dnt need a radiator overhaul pa. check your radiator cap and that hose leading to the water reservoir. dapat walang leaks yan. kung may leak, it could also be a source of overheat. kung tama naman lahat....

last na talaga to.... am not very familiar with troopers pero sa pick ups kasi, may clutch fan yan. a clutch fan is a disk-like thing sa middle ng fanblade mo. inside it is oil. dapat at this stage hindi pa ito nasisira pero baka lang may factory defect..... run your engine to normal temp.... then keep it idle for a few more minutes.... then while u r at the engine bay, pull the accelrator cable. dapat ang hangin galing sa fan blades lumalakas habang tumataas ang rpm mo. kung ang hangin humihina or pareho lang kahit mataas na ang rpm mo, ur fan blade is the culprit. easiest way is palitan yan. cheapest way is to fabricate a lock for it para hindi na mag slip. sa pick up, a brand new cost 7.5k. i had mine fabricated a lock. cost me P250 sa machine shop

so far, eto yung mga na encounter ko na problema sa mga overheating. pero dapat sa takbo mo na 45k kms, wala pang problema yan eh.

try checking the thermostat sa water mo. eto yung mechanical device na nagsasabi kung gaano kalakas ang pressure ng tubig na umiikot sa system. kung bumara sya o nag stuck up, mahina ang flow ng water kahit malakas ang pump mo kaya umiinit din ang makina.

try checking for your aux fans kung gumagana at kung meron ka.

hope this helps.....

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bisoy
    pls have your cylinders checked for compression. it wont cost you P500. that alone will tell you a lot of things kung kailangan na nga buksan o hindi.
    where can you have a compression test that will cost less than 500?? TIA!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
where did the water go?