New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    has anyone ever heard of this? or can someone explain what causes this?
    i dont know if this happens to my trooper. but during the mornings, especailly
    right after leaving my home, i would often find my trooper stuck at first gear,
    refusing to shift to second gear. i dont know why. kahit konti lang apak ko sa accelerator. but after a few minutes or so sometimes 30 mins ok na siya. but there is something that i do notice during the day times. there will be times when bigla nalang magshishift to lower gear yung ride ko pag nag a-accelerate ako (kasi i want to speeed up/overtake).

its wierd kasi para akong nag engine break kung sa manual e.
    yung i-fo-force mo to lower gear yung sasakyan kahit hinde pa dapat. yung effect is tataas yung rev ng vehicle at napakaingay ng engine tuloy.

it happens when i try to overtake or want to speed up. and mind you hinde naman mabigat yung paa ko. is this gear slippage ba? or something else? sa gabi kasi ok yung takbo niya e. kahit anong tapak ko normal yung shifting at tama yung ingay ng engine.

i hope i explained it right or someone will be able to understand yung sinasabi ko kasi i often get replies na "ay ganun talaga manual" or "baka kasi kulang sa power" pero its not that e as a driver mararamdaman mo naman kung under powered yung vehicle or kung kelan siya dapat magshift and ive been driving for almost 10 yrs na so i know na parang something's off. i hope someone can help me here.

thanks.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    try to change your ATF.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    diba normal lang yun mag downshift ang auto tranny when you want to speed up or overtaking? baka naka off ang OD mo? follow ARB's advice. it's the cheapest you can do before pulling down your tranny.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you get a delayed 1st to 2nd and/or 2nd to 3rd upshift right after a cold start-up or when the coolant temperature is below normal, there is no problem, it is a normal characteristic in matic vehicles. The high rpm upshift helps warm the catalytic converter to reduce exhaust emissions at cold start-up.

May check engine light ba ang Trooper? Naka-on ba yung check engine light? Pag naka-on, tansmission na ang suspect ko. Panalangin mo na lang na hindi transmission ang problema or you're looking to a costly transmission rebuilding Try mo yung recommendation ni ARB. Kung may problema pa den, you may have a fried transmission. Certain operating conditions can result in heat buildup in the transmission second gear set and may lead to gear tooth chipping. In very rare cases, gear breakage can occur. Delikado ang gear breakage. Gear failure could result in transmission lock-up, and a crash could occur without warning. I've only owned Honda cars (5) and a Lexus (a '90 ES250) in my lifetime so my info could be limited. Yung auto transmission ng Honda is a lot like a manual transmission. Yung filter screens sa Honda transmissions are deep within the unit. Hindi sila accessible. Ang hindi ko maintindihan sa Honda is why they insist on such an odd design for their automatic transmissions? Other cars use planetary gear sets and brake bands, but Honda continues to insist on building it like a manual transmission converted to an automatic, with 3 shafts and clutch packs standing in for gears sliding along the shaft for engagement. On older (86-89) Accords, the 3-4 clutchpack drum would crack, preventing it from holding hydraulic pressure. Mawawalan ka ng 3rd gear. It was common enough that Honda came up with a redesigned part to address it. Di ko lang alam kung ganito din ang set up ng Isuzu transmissions.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    i just changed my ATF, ganun pa rin siya.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    May check engine light ba ang Trooper? Naka-on ba yung check engine light? Pag naka-on, tansmission na ang suspect ko.
    how is this supposed to work ba?

1. if it lights even when the engine is running?

or

2. if it lights and continues to light prior to starting the engine?

which one says i have a busted transmission?

thanks for your informative reply. hope more people would help me out.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    anyone care to update this thread?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The CEL is for the engine. There is supposed to be a check transmission light also.

When you are starting the vehicle, these lamps self-test themselves by illuminating. They are supposed to go off once the engine has been started.

Try driving another Trooper for comparison. Baka characterisitic na siya ng mga Troopers talaga.

Otherwise, if your vehicle is hesitant to shift, baka yung [very expensive] A/T valve body inside the a/t unit ang sira.

Make sure that your O/D is not off and that your ATF is topped up.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    ok, so its safe to say that the transmission is fine cause the check engine light does light when the key is turned to "on", and turns off once the engine starts. could it be that the return line to the injection/injector pump is clogged?

otep, how will i have the A/T valve body checked?

thanks for the reply.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Checking the valve body requires a tranny pulldown.

Hindi pa namin pinapagawa. Baka lalo lang masira eh. Tolerable naman as it is. Btw, sa Nissan Sentra ito.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
what is gear slipping?