New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Hi Guys,

What do I need to do if I'm going to store my diesel(and gas) car away for half a year in the garage?

Masisira ba kung hindi sya nastart everyday? How often should it be started? Will starting it(the engine) up suffice or does it have to be atleast driven around the subdivision? Do I need to change all the fluids before I stowe it away?

thanks
    Last edited by cardo; November 8th, 2005 at 04:14 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cardo
    Hi Guys,

What do I need to do if I'm going to store my diesel(and gas) car away for half a year in the garage?

Masisira ba kung hindi sya nastart everyday? How often should it be started? Will starting it(the engine) up suffice or does it have to be atleast driven around the subdivision? Do I need to change all the fluids before I stowe it away?

thanks
    Lend car to IMm29...

Hehehe! But seriously, this was the same dilemma that my girlfriend had. I gave her the solution above. I guess starting it and/or driving it at least once a week should suffice.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kay IMm29 yung diesel... sa akin yung gasoline... ;)

What I did before (when I was still in college) was to start the engine at least twice a week then just move the vehicle back and forth the garage (just to rotate the tires so that it will not sag).

Mas maganda siguro kung fully-synthetic oil ang ilagay mo para hindi madaling mag breakdown.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Hehehe. Sure! Pahiram ko hehe. Kelangan lang ng downpayment of course. bigay ko yun keys agad joke hehehe.

Thanks guys

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A fluid change, complete wash and overinflation of the tires can help. A friend also told me that spraying pepper in the engine bay can help deter rats as well.

Starting once a week, using the a/c, and taking for a quick spin around the neighborhood will also be quite helpful.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK masyadong kulang ang minor run around lalo na kung halos half a year...your battery can get drained...normally around 20 mins to running with some rev...to give it a good charge. Starting engines drains a lot of power to the batteries.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    years ago pag nag-abroad kami buong family for a month tinatanggal ng dad ko connection sa sparkplugs ng gasoline cars namin and he removes also battery connection. yun lang. but with diesel pano nga ba? d pa kasi namin na try 'to

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Six months is quite long for a vehicle not to be driven around. The possibility that the mechanical parts (brake pistons, bearings) might get stuck is high. Once a week drive-around would suffice. This would also prevent insect or rat infestation especially the electrical system. Sabi ni sir vinj's friend that spraying the engine bay with pepper is a rat deterrent. Novel idea which might work. Sir vinj, paano kung bicolano yung rat? He he..peace.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Ipahiram ang kotse sa kapitbahay hehehehe!!!

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Mukhang magandang negosyo ito a... Auto Storage...

Pero dapat nga mapa-abot sa tamang operating temp for 10 minutes at least twice a week, and driven around the block. If you take out the batteries you won't be able to do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
What to do: Long Term Storage of my Pickup