New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jplazo
    Before buying a K&N and other overpriced filters, check this out:

http://bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

K&N attempted to counter the findings... but with contradictory statements.

The bottomline is that the stock filter does the BEST filtration and with minimal pressure drop. Branded after markets do lousier filtration with 2 to 8% more airflow.

For stock cars, this sneeze of extra air isn't worth the extra expense.
    er... wrong thread! This thread is talking about the "turbo stormy" thingie... not drop-in aftermarket filters.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Whoops... sorry bout that. I wanted to comment on the post about K&N.

Anyway, I do have the turbo stormy as well. It's installed in a 2.0L corona and the 97 Spacewagon.

Gains are moderate. (Fuel efficiency-wise. I can't say torque or HP increased)

I recommend driving like a grandma for more fuel savings.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Whoops... sorry bout that. I wanted to comment on the post about K&N.

Anyway, I do have the turbo stormy as well. It's installed in a 2.0L corona and the 97 Spacewagon.

Gains are moderate.
    are you sure your "turbo stormy" is still there or your engine has inhaled it already?

Actually it has been proven by a US car magazine that turbo-stormy & similar devices do not increase an engine's power output.

As for your "gains", how did you measure it? With a dyno? with a stopwatch? or by the seat of your pants?

I recommend driving like a grandma for more fuel savings.
    and how knowledgable is your grandma about cars and engines?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; December 9th, 2005 at 12:06 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    As for your "gains", how did you measure it? With a dyno? with a stopwatch? or by the seat of your pants?
    Simply by measuring km/l readings after emptying the fuel tank a few times.
    The results were specific. About .5km/l increase.

Not jaw dropping, which is why I recommend driving like a grandma.

and how knowledgable is your grandma about cars and engines?
    It's an idiomatic expression, not a certification of driving expertise.
    Some professional drivers I know recommend constant driving speeds while controlling excessive starts, stops, jack rabbit acceleration and lane changing. The engine thanks you for suave driving habits.

Just like ole granny drives!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Simply by measuring km/l readings after emptying the fuel tank a few times.
    The results were specific. About .5km/l increase.
    do you know that even without the gadget in your intake, you can get the same (or more) increase in fuel milage simply by changing your driving habits, keeping properly inflated tires (or even slightly over the recommended pressure) and having a regular tune-up schedule for your engine?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    do you know that even without the gadget in your intake, you can get the same (or more) increase in fuel milage simply by changing your driving habits, keeping properly inflated tires (or even slightly over the recommended pressure) and having a regular tune-up schedule for your engine?
    Yes, and that's precisely why I keep mentioning "drive like grandma"

Turbo Stormy and these miracle gadgets are not worth the the money. It's what I've been reiterating.

Incidentally, 2 years ago, our class conducted a business analysis of the after-market industry prior to dissertation. Turns out that quite a number of these companies, even established ones, have the nasty habit of rushing to market any idea that produces just 1% of what it claims.

Shrouding their technology with jargon and head-spinning marketing blitzes (they pay six digits to professional ad firms) the Companies artificially conjure a cult phenomenon that spurs word-of mouth, rabid purchase.... and an entire sub culture of fans worshipping a god of smoke.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Turbo Stormy