New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    after testing our friend's innova(2.5 diesel) we have been thinking of turbo charging our manual pregio 2.7 diesel.i was surprised at the power difference of the 2.5 innova compared to the 2.7 pregio.if i researched right, the innova has 102hp and the pregio 83hp? i am assuming the 20hp difference is from the turbo the innova has. btw, ive heard that the starex has 140+hp? is this right? with a 2.5 turbo engine? could i come up with that much power with our ride?

what are the options of our pregio? could we turbo charge it and what are the steps and precautions to be taken?cost? and what are the shops i can go to?

advice, suggestions and comments +/- will be apreciated. thanks
    erik

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    found something..

ok ba to?

The Kia Pregio kit was developed 3 years ago by Turbo-Glide

The advantages of the Kia Pregio turbo kit include:
    Exceptional response to turbocharging
    Overall economy is improved with no visual exhaust smoke
    Reliability and longevity are not affected
    Power is increased a minimum of 30% as indicated by dyno report provided on completion
    2 year unlimited kilometre warranty

Unique to Turbo-Glude this installation includes:
    High flow Garrett GT25 turbocharger
    Full sports exhuast system and vastly improved air filtration system

Acceptable engine mileage that installation can be performed is 300,000km plus on inspection.

Fitting time: 2 days

source:http://www.turboglide.com.au/index.c...&Product_ID=34

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    While turbocharging is not rocket science, I'd still recommend using a bolt-on turbo kit or having a competent engine modification job do the install (both are expensive). Turbocharging is very stressful to an engine especially one that was not designed to be turbocharged in the first place. In Korea, Kia uses 4d56 turbo engines for Pregios instead of turbocharging the 2.7 engine. They get the engines from parent company Hyundai. But it did require some re-engineering. I guess the cost of adapting the vehicle to the new engine was less than the cost of having to engineer modifications to the 2.7.

The Starex makes 99bhp in non-CRDi form, 145bhp with CRDi. An MB100 makes 105bhp. The old Hi-Ace Grandia 3.0 made 88bhp, IIRC.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Those are two very different engines. The innova 2.5 uses a common rail engine. Turbocharging your 2.7L will make substantial additional power but aftermarket Turbo kits are quite expensive.

BTW, Hyundai Starex' engine is really powerful. It'll be more powerful when they release the VGT version (Variable Geometry Turbo). It'll probably make 170hp using the same engine. The 2.2L SantaFe CRDi VGT has 150Hp/335Nm Torque (180Hp/395Nm with upgraded ECU). The Hyundai CRDi 3.0L CRDi VGT produces 240Hp/480Nm (stock performance) which powers the Veracruz LUV.

The only thing i hate about Turbos is the need to cool it down. No one has thought of hypercooling it yet (AFAIK). You need to idle for a minute or two to cool your Turbocharger or it would fail prematurely due to overheat (and it's very expensive to replace).

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Those are two very different engines. The innova 2.5 uses a common rail engine. Turbocharging your 2.7L will make substantial additional power but aftermarket Turbo kits are quite expensive.

BTW, Hyundai Starex' engine is really powerful. It'll be more powerful when they release the VGT version (Variable Geometry Turbo). It'll probably make 170hp using the same engine. The 2.2L SantaFe CRDi VGT has 150Hp/335Nm Torque (180Hp/395Nm with upgraded ECU). The Hyundai CRDi 3.0L CRDi VGT produces 240Hp/480Nm (stock performance) which powers the Veracruz LUV.

The only thing i hate about Turbos is the need to cool it down. No one has thought of hypercooling it yet (AFAIK). You need to idle for a minute or two to cool your Turbocharger or it would fail prematurely due to overheat (and it's very expensive to replace).

but driing in manila traffic wont make you need to cool down the turbo.

you can put a turbo in your engine, it is how it is done is whats more important. Or you can swap a more powerful engine and keep the original. when its time to sell reinstall the original to preserve the resale value.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Starex Turbo... yummy... I've been driving my Dad's new Starex GRX whenever we see each other, and I just have to say... that 2.5 turbo makes the Innova's seem... limp. Too bad the Starex is so heavy...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Starex Turbo... yummy... I've been driving my Dad's new Starex GRX whenever we see each other, and I just have to say... that 2.5 turbo makes the Innova's seem... limp. Too bad the Starex is so heavy...
    ...and quite bouncy. But it is powerful

kerikzb,

the difference in hp that you're talking about is not solely attributed to the turbo. although the turbo will give you the extra horses, other technology was at work to generate a lot of that power. and turbo charging does not come cheap, and does require some maintenance, so you might be better off looking for a ride that's already more powerful.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    wag mo nang galawin pregio engine mo .... tama si imm29, jsut get another vehicle that is more powerful .. coz turbo charging yhour pregio might give you more headaches plus the cost might be more than what a pregio van is valued now

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    thanks po sa lhat ng comments niyo. guess itll be better to leave the engine stock. about the upgraded ecu? could i get this instead? how does this work? and where can i get it? iv heard about a piggy back box? can anyone enlighten me on this? thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    ako rin gusto ko iturbo pickup ko for show. wahaha

turbo charging. comments pls.