Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    here is the monteor article from CR...

http://www.consumerreports.org/stati...l#Anchor-49575

The 2001 Mitsubishi
    Montero Limited
    Not Acceptable
    SUV TIPS UP SEVERELY IN OUR EMERGENCY AVOIDANCE-MANEUVER TEST.

Then something unexpected happened. In May, in one of our regular track tests for SUVs, minivans, and pickups--a short-course double-lane-change emergency-avoidance maneuver--the Montero Limited, in 8 out of 9 runs at or faster than 36.7 mph, tipped up on two wheels during a sharp right turn. In one run at 37.7 mph, it tipped up so far that the safety outriggers contacted the ground (see video below). Without the outriggers, we believe, the Montero would likely have rolled over. (We attach outriggers to all SUVs and four-wheel-drive pickups for this test to protect our drivers.)

Our avoidance maneuvers are designed to simulate real-world emergencies in which a driver steers sharply left into an adjacent lane--to avoid hitting an obstacle or person in the road--then quickly back to the right to avoid oncoming traffic, and left again into the original lane

We have found no reports of rollover crashes involving the 2001 Montero, but we believe our test results point to an unnecessary risk.

Taller vehicles such as SUVs have a higher center of gravity, which makes them more top-heavy and more susceptible to rolling over than lower vehicles such as sedans. This is why NHTSA requires that all SUVs with a wheelbase of 110 inches or less display a warning label. The one in the Montero reads, "Warning: Higher rollover risk. Avoid abrupt maneuvers and excessive speed."

looking at the illustration, it is in #1 that the vehicle started to tip over.

real world you say? the momentum of the vehicle is going to the left & you suddenly swerve again to the right again (without reducing speed I suppose). no wonder that the vehicle will tip over.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sikuya

Best SUV- Honda Element,Mitsubishi Endeavor,Subaru Forester (2004), Toyota Highlander (03), Toyota Land Cruiser (02), Toyota 4Runner(01), Honda CR-V(00)(99)
    Wohoo 1st Gen CR-V included

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda

real world you say? the momentum of the vehicle is going to the left & you suddenly swerve again to the right again (without reducing speed I suppose). no wonder that the vehicle will tip over.
    Yup. That's the one I watched. All the other vehicles they tested never tipped except for the Montero! Obviously, no one of us would want to be in a situation where we need to avoid obstacles in front of us in a free way but it would REALLY give me a peace of mind knowing that my vehicle can avoid them if need be. Mababa pa pala yung speed (about 60km/h). Speed limit in interstates are 70mph (more than 110km/h). I've seen some fogs, rains and snows with visibility of 5 feet lang!!! Minsan biglaan pa ang buhos ng ulan or biglaan na lang ang daan sa fog. Kung may aksidente (imagine NASCAR crash debris) after a curb or after the view clears (caused by rain snow or fog) or kahit na may biglang nasabugan ng gulong (ala Ford Explorers) sa harapan mo in a freeway.......

Kaya nga ba sinasabi ko lagi na hindi pa ganon ka-aware ang Pinas sa safety since our traffic there is far too different kesa iabng bansa.

Minsan na rin akong gumawa ng emergency maneuver (w/ my previous CR-V) dahil lang sa may usang biglang tumawid ng freeway (* 50mph or about 80km/h) May mga incoming traffic sa opposite lane kaya kailangan kong bumalik agad. Kasama ko buong pamilya ko nun!!! Di mo din kasi masasabi ang pangangailangan........

Again, wouldn't these surveys improve the automaker's car safety and quality?
    Last edited by Macky; March 10th, 2005 at 02:37 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Macky
    Dagdag tanong na lang din since nagkakatanungan na..... hindi kaya lugi yung mga madaming naibebentang sasakyan (i.e F150) dahil mas madamaing owners, mas madaming chances/reports na sirain? Pero come to think of it, bakit ang Camry na mabenta di masyadong nababalitang sirain? Meron bang averages used sa survey. I guess what I'm going at is that baka naman 4K yung reports tapos 50% dun e F150 owners at 20% sa kanila nag-report ng problema so 400 out of 4K na agad which is about 10% (patay, hehehe).
    it should not be a problem if the survey is done right. what they should do is group the surveys by vehicle and treat each group as an independent sample. if they do not get a statistically significant sample size for a particular vehicle, then they should not report the results for that vehicle.

if CR did not do this, then the whole survey would be worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Macky
    wouldn't these surveys improve the automaker's car safety and quality?
    they can and they do...so even if i think CR reviews are stupid and aimed at the lowest common denominator of car buyer, i know they are providing a valuable service - being a pain in the ass for the automakers about safety and making them be very very careful in designing their cars. it feels good considering i transport the most important people in the world in their products...
    Last edited by empy; March 10th, 2005 at 03:39 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda

looking at the illustration, it is in #1 that the vehicle started to tip over.

if it were a car, it may not really rollover like an suv. but imagine going at high speeds then doing the same. Like say at 180kph? :D
    Last edited by notEworthy27; March 14th, 2005 at 01:53 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Who the hell avoids an obstacle without even releasing the throttle or using the brakes? Kakaibang driving style yun ha.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I think I agree with Dodge Dakota being one of the worst trucks. A few years ago, I read in a review that the Dodge Dakota is the most gas-guzzler among trucks and suv. There is consistency after all, he he!!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    To be safe, your driving style should differ from car to car.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Amen Alfred... It's stupid for a guy driving a tall vehicle to take a corner at 100kph, while a dropped exotic hitting the mountain trail...

I mean, if you're eyeing an exotic sports car, why bother reading how the car will perform off road or on slick ice roads where you shouldn't use that car is such a situation in the first place?

Or if you're shopping for an SUV, why would you bother knowing how fast it reaches 100mph...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
trucks,SUVs you can't count on