New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ...in winter countries? a local guy here in UK told me that some diesel cars get stalled during winter season because of very cold air. any tsikoter who has a tip to avoid a diesel car getting stalled? i'm just woried about this specially that i'm a strager in this country and our car is a 7yo vauxhall corsa. is there any other extra ordinary things to do (aside from regular sevice) in order to avoid the car getting stalled?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Konti lang alam ko, so HTH ...

- Make sure your battery and the connections are OK. Batteries lose a lot of cranking power during cold weather, it's also better to turn off all electrical accessories before starting.

- Although it doesn't get cold enough in the UK for diesel to reach gel point, it might be a good idea to use additives to lower it. Make sure that your fuel filter (the usual suspect) is OK.

- For a 7 year old car (even newer ones), it's always a good idea to be a member of the AA, RAC, Green Cross, etc.. Mas mahal membership during a breakdown, esp. when you register via a mobile phone. Nangyari na sa akin ... 2 weeks after MOT and Inspection 2, tumirik kotse ko - twice the amount ang bayad ko sa RAC. Still cheaper if you consider that a normal recovery vehicle will cost you more than a hundred pounds for a single job.

- And the usual advice to keep your car in shape.

And don't worry too much Winter is just minus 3deg C in the South and a bit colder uo North. Hindi ganu'n ka-extreme when it comes to engines.

Tips in maintaining diesel cars...