New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Mga Sirs.

Wala ba pong problemang idudulot kung ibabalik ko sa mineral based oil ang Diesel Adventure ko. Nag-try kasi ako mag synthetic nung 5000Km checkup ng sasakyan ko (at paakyat kami ng baguio nun eh). Kaya lang ang mahal nga talaga ng synthetic. Akala ko kasi same din ang gastos ko when I compare having to change mineral based oil twice (every 5000Km) to once with synthetic (at 10000Km). Not so, I discovered. Eh, balak ko nalang tuloy na bumalik sa mineral based oil. Oks lang po ba iyon? Wala po bang issue sa seals and stuff?

Follow-up question, how about kung papalit-palit from mineral to synthetic, will there be problems caused?

Thanks!
    Last edited by RafRaf; June 9th, 2004 at 12:56 PM.

2. FrankDrebin Guest
    Oks lang. Ganyan din ako dati. Balik sa mas murang langis. Gamit ko pa dati Mobil Delvac. Ngayon Delo Gold Multigrade.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the input. kasi malapit na rin akong mag change oil e. buti na lang nakita ko itong thread na ito. :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A mechanic used to tell me that switching back to mineral based oils from synth ones will require flushing.

While mineral based oil users switching to synth oils just switch. I don't have the facts to prove their claim, maybe the oil gurus here can help you more.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    What is "flushing"... I mean what else is done during flushing other than draining the oil?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmn question din po mga gurus...pag ba hi-mileage na ung sasakyan lets say 100000 kms plus advisable pa rin bng mag synthetic oil?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by RafRaf
    What is "flushing"... I mean what else is done during flushing other than draining the oil?
    Pag sinabing flushing, may mga active ingredients/fluids na sinasama muna sa old oil para pag alis nito nililinis na rin daw ang mga naiiwang particles ng synth oil. Before draining out the old oil.

Originally posted by benchph1
    hmmn question din po mga gurus...pag ba hi-mileage na ung sasakyan lets say 100000 kms plus advisable pa rin bng mag synthetic oil?
    I would assume that your engine has been well taken cared of. Kung maganda pa ang combustion, at dati ka nang gumagamit ng synth oil why not?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With regard to high mileage engines, as long as the synth oil visousity is on the thicker side, oks lang. There are synth oils with thin viscousities and this may cause leaks.

On synth vs. mineral, its still adviseable to change every 5K given our weather and traffic conditions. If a car uses synth and changes every 10K, the oil filter should still be replaced every 5K.

On flushing, try to use Caltex Power FLushing oil. I was told before that those 5 minute engine flushes can be harmful to the engine internals/gaskets.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I think its the other way around that requires flushing. That is when we switch to Synth from Mineral.

This is so because mineral oils must've left some deposits in the engine that will eventually mix with the synth oil. The deposits are caused mainly by the uneven sizes of the oil particles constituting the mineral oil base. This will lessen the benefits we get out of the synthetic oil since the deposits will just circulate in the system together with the synthetic oil.

I believe switching back to mineral oils will not need flushing anymore.

It can be likened to a drinking glass once containing orange juice. Then you wanted water. Then you wanted orange juice afterwards again. If you wanted to have the water as pure as possible, you would've washed the glass first.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I stand corrected, di ko na po kasi maalala yung sinabi ng mekaniko dati. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
synthetic back to mineral