New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hello its me again..just sold my car..wala na.....m thinkin of getting a cefiro..mga 2000-01 model na elite...baka may kakilala kayo...

but then biglang naisip ko..sport trac kaya i consider ko ..kahit galing na ako sa f150 lariat...now...ok ba to?..importante sa kin ang quality ng ride sawa na ako sa ride ng pickup...pareho lang kaya ito sa f150 o parang expedition..cushy?...malamang consumption nyan mas matipid ng konti dahil tuwang tuwa na ako dati if i can get 4.5l/km...at nakita ko na rin loob a thousand times at ok naman very cozy nga e...

my final? top 3..
    1. cefiro elite..2nd hand..2000-01 o brand new..
    2. rav 4 2001 2nd hand o brand new
    3. sport trac...?..2nd hand o brand new din...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    cefiro, rav4, or sport trac? hmm very varied ang choices ha hehe...

which one are you leaning to? kung ride quality, the cefiro would have the best one among the three...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero
    my final? top 3..
    1. cefiro elite..2nd hand..2000-01 o brand new..
    2. rav 4 2001 2nd hand o brand new
    3. sport trac...?..2nd hand o brand new din...
    the cefiro would indeed have the best ride quality among the 3. though in terms of go-anywhere, it'll probably be the last in this list.

the rav4, IMO, runs 2nd in terms of flexibility and go-anywhere qualities. haven't gotten to ride one, so i can't comment on its ride, but since it's an SUV with full time 4wd that can pack 5 people, then it should be able to go anywhere in and around town without much ado (serious off-roading, not included, of course. light off-roading, depending on the terrain i would suppose). and it should have better mileage than the sport trac.

the sport trac, IMO, should be the most flexible and most prepared to go places in a jiffy. it's got 4wd (auto, high and low), so it can handle more than the RAV4, it can pack 5 people and still have lots of bed space for everything else. again, i can't comment on ride quality coz i haven't ridden one. mileage should be in the cefiro range or maybe a little worse though.

anyways, if your complaint is the boaty/cushy ride, then i read alfalfameister post that changing your shocks to bilsteins should give you a better feel. maybe you'd like to inquire with him about them.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The F150 (lariat 4x4 and flare/style side 4x2) has a nicer (more comfortable) ride than the Sport Trac.

Actually, medyo matagtag ang Sport Trac, though definitely much better than Stradas, Frontiers, Fuegos or Rangers. Of course, it's also in a different class.

Changing shocks to Bilsteins, and/or changing rear leaf springs to Old Man Emu will improve the ride of the Sport Trac, but the Cefiro will still have a more comfortable ride. Upgrading the shocks/leaf springs will give you a more controlled ride, less bouncy, less "tagtag" and give your more comfort. But a stock Expedition will still be a bit more comfortable.

The expedition, while having a really comfortable ride, is, as you said, cushy, and even barge-like. Upgrading the shocks will net you pretty much the same comfort, but with much more control and you almost totally rid yourself of that wavy, boat-like ride. To me, it's one of the best upgrades to an Expedition.

In fact, with ANY car, pick-up, van, SUV, whatever... it's a personal thing for me: suspension upgrade gets my highest priority.

Good luck in your hunt for a vehicle!

--Alf

P.S. If you need help (financing, insurance, getting the best deal for a car), I'm currently writing a (somewhat lengthy) article tentatively titled "The Insider's Guide to Purchasing a Vehicle". It has tips on how to get the best deals. Should be out in about one to two weeks.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Alf,
    as you've said, the bilsteins remove the cushiness of the expedition's ride? doesn't it, however, make the ride a bit stiffer/more matagtag?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On the contrary, it makes it less matagtag.

Normally, shock absorbers (actually, dampeners) dampen the upward movement of the suspension, but there's not much dampening on the rebound part. Aftermarket shocks (ranchos, bilsteins, OMEmus, etc) are valved to have good damping on both the bump and rebound. So, it's less "matagtag" because the oscillations are reduced.

The shocks are also normally valved stiffer (harder to pull apart and compress), as you observed. But in terms of ride quality, especially for such a heavy car like the expedition, it's not just negligible, it actually works out better.

On a light car (i.e., lancer, civic, etc), stiffer shocks will give you a firmer ride (notice I didn't say "stiffer"). The oscillations of the springs are better controlled, and you have a more controlled ride.

--Alf

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Hi Alfalfameister, I'm driving a Frontier 4x4 and my wife who is now 3 months pregnant always complains of the "matagtag" ride. Do you think if I upgrade to bilsteins or Old Man Emu will the "matagtag" be removed or if not greatly improved? How much does the upgrade cost and where could I find one? Thanks

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks Alfalfameister. A friend of mine was complaining about the same cushy problem. I told him of your solution, and that he try it. As for me, perhaps when the first set gives in. Btw, you still selling them Bilsteins?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    tnx again for the replies!..

one comment i can make sa suspension ng f1 ay ok sya sa patag pero if you run on uneven surfaces ayun medyo harsh..pero way better than jap trucks..pero dun ako di nabilib dahil i was expecting na parang chevy blazer yun ride ang ganda controlled hindi harsh although i know na better talaga ride ng mga chevy trucks..eh kaya naman cefiro napili ko dahil nga gusto ko naman tahimik at maganda talaga na ride.. and yung rav4 mukhang fun to drive e kaso kung harsh din ang ride wag na lang..sport trac..wala lang parang di maalis sa kin yun pagka truck owner ko e...napagdaanan ko na box type na pajero, feroza, blazer,eagle, f150 maski sa states escape, durango.. kaya puro truck at suv..yung mga kakwentuhan ko nga puro yun ang mga pangarap dahil mga sedan owners sila ang sabi ko na lang papunta pa lang kayo pabalik na ako! ahahah

hay nako hirap ng walang sasakyan....pa hitch!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    naisip ko lang nu! kung may nagbebenta ng F-150 na body lang eh lalagyan ko nalang ng engine na diesel like makina cguro ng Patrol para tipid sa bulsa! hehehe.......:D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
sport trac