New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sa cv joints i think wala advantage if you use longer ones because may guide ang cv joint where the boots should sit, so if you use longer ones the estended part will be ok but the compressed part will still rub against each other thus there will still be friction and wear. problem with axle disconnect vehicles is when you lift it the joints and boots will have accelerated wear because they turn even in 2 wheel drive. may ranger here that he put na lang manual locking hubs to cure the problem cause he changes cv boots every three months due to excessive angles. you can use cv boots from most FWD cars they fit, cost about 280 each here it must be cheaper there. and since you are in the process of changing the diff support why dont you lower na lang the front diff a little to compensate for the angles of your cv joint. the nest thing that will give are the ball joints this is due again to the lift.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My CV joints tore not because they rubbed. Mild lang ang lift ko. They tore because of the longer wheel travel availed by my shorter bumpstops. On-road, there is practically no rubbing with my boots. However, when driven off road, with all the tire lifts and stuff, the boot gets stretched to the limit.

Ball joints are ok. They're pretty easy to fix and I don't think a mild lift will destroy them.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    when i mean they rub against each other the folds of the boots not the inner and the outer boots. this is caused by the lift you made. just basing this on the experiences we have encountered in relation to torn boots. i guess dont use 4wheel drive that much i only use it at least twice a week, so my boots served me for 7 years before they need replacing.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ARB,

I'm on 2wd now and I got stuck twice in a day just driving around in Quezon City. One was trying to clamber up a concrete island near St. Luke's Hospital (to meet up with bulldog) and the other was when I made a U-turn on an unfinished u-turn slot. Nakakapanibago ang hindi naka-4wd. hehehehe.

The bellows of the CV joints would usuall touch each other on full wheel drop. On level ground, there is still some distance. Anyways, try ko muna to drive around in 2wd. I think GlennSter's shop can do the boots. Medyo toxic lang ako at the moment kaya hindi mapagawa. hehehehe

Thanks.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Some repairs are in order (inputs appreciated)