New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Sa makina po, lets say mga 4.2 na 12ohv compared sa 4.2 liter na 12SOHC. ano po ang pinagkakaiba ng OHV and SOHC sa diesel? Ano po ang mas efficient in terms of performance and fuel economy... Maraming salamat po....
    Last edited by Panzer; December 19th, 2004 at 01:16 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    OHV overhead valve or pushrod engine, an engine that low hp rating but run on lowest end torque, gud for urban driving, sohc overhead valve capable of rising max peak rpm loves to rev..in reality sohc is modern design but ohv seens to be economical..bec it hate to rev hard..>>hehe

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa gen set saka heavy equipment na lang nakikita yang ohv na diesel, low speed applications na lang. sa mga passenger vehicles wala na yan, panahon pa ni macarthur yang technology na yan e.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pero sa corvette C6 OHV yung makina as per spec sheet nila.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ford Racing Engines (the 4.6 liter and 5.0 liter) being used by Hot Rodders and Muscle Car aficionados use push-rod type (OHV) engines. Old technology made very efficient by new technology via ECU/Engine Management Systems. The result - HP reaching up to 600hp and torque reaching 500 NM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that 600 bhp on a V8 5.0L engine looks puny compared to a souped up 3.0L in-line 6 24V DOHC with hydraulic valve lifters and twin turboed toyota supra engine producing 950 bhp. kaya gamit sa hot rod kasi ang mga kano ayaw umamin na daig ang technology nila ng japan saka germany.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pero all motor yung 600 hp engine na yan vs. the turboed 950 hp ng supra :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Waw... luma na pala tong makina ng sasakyan namen hahaha..... 3.2 liter 4cl 80hv

9. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    OHC v. OHV.

Sa OHC kaunti lang ang piesa na paikot-ikot at pa-indak-indak. What this means is less rotating mass (resulting in quicker rotational acceleration), and less reciprocating mass (less stress, improved reliability at high speed). Overall, an engine with overhead cams will have quicker acceleration and better high speed operating capability than a similar overhead valve engine.

Since power is a product of torque and rpm, a smaller engine with less torque can still produce large amounts of power if it produces that torque at much higher rpm's. That is why Honda's S2000, powered by a relatively small 4-cylinder engine, has 240 normally aspirated horses inspite of having only 2.0 liters of displacement. On the other hand, an engine with a lower revving OHV design, will need a larger displacement to produce the required amount of torque to match the power of the smaller, higher revving machine.

Concerning the level of technologies among the leading car building countries, I dont think one can simply generalize the Americans as being behind Japan and Germany. The economical environment in the US is different from that of most of the world and that's what causes American cars to be the way they are. America, being the world leader in military technology, is mostly always ahead of everyone else in the frontiers of Science. I think the main problem with American cars having a generally inferior image compared to their European and Japanese competitors is is because they have less of a need to excel in automotive industry (their cars sell comfortably enough in the motherland--i.e, less need to compete in the foreign market). Another thing keeping them down is the relatively much higher cost of labor.

Dont get me wrong, though. I, myself, like Japanese and German cars better than most American cars (unless we're talking Corvette or Fullsize pickups), but that's just not the way I see it. America is by far the largest car market and if their cars are selling enough in the motherland inspite of heavy competition, then they really don't get that much motivation anymore. I'm not saying that newer technology can never come from any other part of the world, either, but it wouldn't be surpising if most of it comes from the US.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    what happens if we put in a turbo or supercharger in an all motor setup? will it match the turboed smaller engines?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
SOHC vs OHV