New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    can someone tell me what the difference is between dark smoke and white smoke in diesel engine exhausts? especially the trooper.

is this normal or there should be no smoke at all coming out?

thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Light smoke is unburned fuel. Rich masyado ang air/fuel ratio, you will need to tweak the injection pump or put more air into the mixture. You will also notice than rich mixture are hotter than normal engines which could result in melting of stock internal parts. Pag medyo bluish smoke naman, blowby or pumping oil from loose valve guides.

Gray smoke for diesel engines are normal when it is cold. Especially older diesel engines that consumes oil inbetween changes.

Dark emission is lean combustion, there's more air than fuel ratio. Too much strain on diesel engines will result into dark gray smoke. Because the engine is swallowing more air into it when fuel ratio is just the same. Add more fuel to lessen and equalize the combustion effect.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    hmmm, thanks the info...

i sometimes noticec white smoke when i accelerate hard, especially during cold weather, shud i do the suggestions you posted above?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dapat po painitin nyo muna ng normal temperature ang makina before putting it into service. Normal po na may white smoke pag malamig ang panahon, mas matagal kasi mareach ng normal operating temp. And don't step on the acelerator hard, diesel engines will not take off as quick as gas-fed units. :D

smoke from exhaust