New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Generally, the OEM Bridgestones are known for their lack of grip, excessive road noise, poor performance, etc... at least that's the impression I'm getting from information gleaned from perusing various websites, forums, etc both locally and abroad. Add all of that and the recent accident in the Skyway last week. I'm contemplating changing the OEM stock Bridgestone Dueller H/T 840 to something better. Btw, both Fortuner and Trooper involved in the crash, are equipped with Bridgestone Dueller from the factory.

What I'm looking for in the new tires:

+Better grip especially in the wets or a design that removes buffets of water out of the tires more effectively or efficiently thereby allowing for greater amounts of grip.

+And of course, the usual, durability and better performance (I know quite a vague and hard to quantify characteristic )

The use for the tires:

+95% City or Highway roads

+Not really into frequent off-roading so I'm not sure if I should opt for the (A/T) All- Terrain spec tire or mainly highway biased type. But given the opportunity, an occasional excursion in the province might come into the picture once in a while. Btw, will the amount of grip be affected by the choice of whether the tires are either all-terrain biased or highway biased?

Pls suggest the ff:

1. A recommendable (based on personal experience/usage and other reviews) tire brand/make to get. Whether to get, All terrain or highway biased or something in the middle? The tire size is 265/70R16

2. A reputable shop that sells the above item(s). Also looking for a shop that would give a fair/decent trade-in value for the tires that would be replaced soon (mileage: less than 1,300kms). Pls provide contact numbers, address, and person(s) to look for.

Ps: I'm aware there is no panacea or silver bullet regarding this issue because of the size (265/70R16) of the tires and the csompromise that manufacturers design their tires to handle under various road conditions. I'm just looking for the best compromise among the current tires available, based on my criterion and use of it (see above).

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've already done a bit of research about this before.

If it is 95% city and/or highway driving, the Dueler H/T is a good compromise already. It has enough traction for the occassional off-road excursion while providing decent on-road grip. I've taken the Rav4 with near bald Duelers up steep muddy hills in Antipolo and it didn't fail me.

The other choice is the Goodyear Fortera or Michelin Energy XMV as it really is road based tire (though grip levels off-road is very minimal) although I highly doubt that they carry a 265/50/R16 size. You can also try scouting for BFG tires as they have good reviews abroad although I have to locate a dealer here in Manila.

Try checking out also if they carry Dueler H/Ls for your tire size. These are the direct competitors of the Fortera although the tire size is quite limited. Check out the Bridgestone store at The Fort.

To note that an A/T spec tire has a poorer on-road wet weather performance but it has the ability to handle tough terrains.

If you want maximum on-road grip - then it is time to change your tires & rims to high performance models (though the cost of this will really hurt your wallet). Look for tires with a V-shaped tread design.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A/T Revos are a good all arounder (ask Djerms).

How much you will benefit from A/T's depend on the type of terrain you are rolling on. If a Jeepney on bald tires or the local tricycle can make it, then you don't really need A/T's. Even Range Rovers on 18" Pirellis can handle easy trails.

Try looking at www.tirerack.com

There are mid-to-high performance road tires available in your size already.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    If you can find BFG don't get the Long Trails they are a piece of s*#*t as far as traction. BFG Rugged Trails OEM tire for the Nismo Frontier, TRD Tacoma, Off Road Xterra or the BFG A/T (great tire) are the best you can get for BFG. General Grabbers are a/k/a Crappers are also not good.
    Yokohama AVS S/T, Bridgestone Dueler H/P, Yokohama Geolander H/T are good also. But I may be biased to BFG since all my vehicles use it. Also BFG is owned by Michelin so you get the same quality for a lower cost.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Thanks for all the replies!

So in other words, I'm better off using the stock OEM Bridgestone Duellers H/T 840s, since changing to other tires will only give incremental improvements, if any, right?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not really. What I meant was A/T vs. H/T (in general) will only give incremental benefits if you are not really running on a hard trail.

However, almost any tire out there is better than the Fortuner's stock Duelers both on and off-road especially when it comes to puncture resistance, sidewall strength, grip, noise level, etc.

I'd go for a stock-sized, high-performance, road-oriented tire for your application.
    Last edited by OTEP; October 19th, 2006 at 08:13 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Haven't browsed the tirerack site lately but I bought the dueler AT revos for my trooper last year and it served me well. That time it was rated #1 in its category.

AT's vs HT's: Not that much difference if youre just the normal driver who does not push the tires to the limit. AFAIK, the bridgestone AT's rated better than other HTs including the stock bridgestones but if you want to achieve good road performance, get the best HT's. Agree with Otep, stick to the stock size of your rig.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Based on the tire rankings at tire rack:

On-/Off-Road All Terrain Tires

Highway All Season

So far its a toss bet. the rank #3 A/T (Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO) or the rank#1 H/T (Goodyear Fortera TripleTred).

I'm leaning more on the Bridgestone A/T bec. it seem to have an advantage in the wets (an imp't criterion for me) and in comfort.

Any feedbacks welcome. Btw, pls recommend a shop to get the tires from and also need to trade in my old tires (only 1,277 kms use).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have a friend who has those forteras. Mukang satisfied naman siya. Try to pm beetols. As for the AT revos. Okay siya for me and thread pattern looks great.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Djerms View Post
    Haven't browsed the tirerack site lately but I bought the dueler AT revos for my trooper last year and it served me well. That time it was rated #1 in its category.

AT's vs HT's: Not that much difference if youre just the normal driver who does not push the tires to the limit. AFAIK, the bridgestone AT's rated better than other HTs including the stock bridgestones but if you want to achieve good road performance, get the best HT's. Agree with Otep, stick to the stock size of your rig.
    The Revos are more biased toward street used compared to other A/T tires. Most guys in the Xterra owners club not into hardcore off roading use it for that reason, while the others (hardcore members)prefer to use BFG A/T. If you will use it for the highway alot and you want an A/T then you can't go wrong with the Revos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Pls suggest replacements for OEM Bridgestone Dueller H/T 840