New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    MG Rover is the current company that is bankrupt. as said before, Ford owns range rover, so it is pretty stable.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tell that to the purists, they're having a hard time to accept the fact that their trucks will be "Americanized" sooner or later.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the purists should blame the damn british government for range rover being bought by ford...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungas
    Tell that to the purists, they're having a hard time to accept the fact that their trucks will be "Americanized" sooner or later.
    The best thing that ever happened to Jaguar was that Ford pumped in US$400M circa 1993-94, but left the entire organization intact--in terms of design, engineering and manufacturing.

The same philosophy governed Ford's acquisition of Volvo. This allowed Volvo to reinvent itself on principally the same rootstock but with a stronger balance sheet. We have been blessed with the XC90, which IMHO, is a better car overall than the X5. I've driven both. This is without however meaning to take away the bragging rights from the satisfied multitude of X5 owners which I once was, until of course the XC90 arrived.

I don't see how these two great SUVs could be "Americanized" or even be headed there. Quite to the contrary, I believe the future design of American SUVs will find bottom in the more compact design platform of European SUVs, given higher fuel prices which, in a way, support tamer lifestyles. And why not, with growing cities and fewer roads per capita, it makes perfect driving sense.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was pertaining to Land Rover purists who still believes that their truck will survive even without blending in with Ford. I know they pioneered the 4WD sector in some way or the other. But believing too much for a vintage product seems a bit odd. Newer vehicles released with better traction control and fuel mileage, plus the fact that the new breed of Land Rovers utilizes more electronic controls than mechanical than the Series have.

True, you may have valid points there to ponder, but that's another topic to dwell on. ;)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir NOTARIUS,

could you pls give your thoughts with regards to the X5 and XC90. the wife really has the hots on the XC90.

what kind of X5 (3.0 or the 4.4?), how about the XC90 (the V6 or T6 or V8?)

kindly post the adv and disadv of both models.

thank you.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by notarius
    We have been blessed with the XC90, which IMHO, is a better car overall than the X5. I've driven both. This is without however meaning to take away the bragging rights from the satisfied multitude of X5 owners which I once was, until of course the XC90 arrived.
    wow...that is high praise indeed. so you sold your X5 for an XC90? why?

been looking at both cars and am partial to the looks and driving dynamics of the X5, but i could use the 3rd row seating of the XC90.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Luxury SUV