New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I have a '97 L200 all stock. This has coil springs in front and rear leafs. I have 14" tires and am thinking of replacing it with 15" tires for a slightly higher ground clearance. Is it possible to lift this a bit? I know that I can use longer shackles on the rear leafs but how do I lift the front with the coil spring suspension?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    for a 4x2, i think some people on this site will recommend a 1 or 2 inch body lift. let's wait for more info na lang from the others.

just a bit of correction, by going from 14 inch to 15 inch rims, you will not increase ground clearance, it is the outer diameter of the tire that will increase ground clearance (the body lift will increase body clearance but not chassis clearance)

but you are on the right track, choice of words lang siguro. in any case, you can opt to stay with your 14 inch rims or go to 15 inch rims, but if you want more clearance, go for larger diameter tires. if you do go the body lift route, do the body lift first them choose the biggest tires that will fit without rubbing.

andy

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I was assuming that by changing to 15" rims, I can install 15" diameter tires which will be larger than the 14" tires.

I looked at my front wheel wells and I don't think it can accomodate 15" tires without raising the front suspension. Has anybody tried using 15" tires on a stock 4x2 - L200 without raising the suspension?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    pare, i see that you are in gen santos. puntahan mo ang mitsubishi gen santos and look for russel. siya yung mayari at marami yang alam tungkol sa L200. may kilala nga sya na nag-turbo ng L200

andy

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    medyo dapat i-crank mo ang torsion bar para maiaccomodate ng harap ang bigger tires.

tech jargon lang... the 14" and 15" tires that you are refering are the rim diameter. You can have 2 different rim tires and yet will have the same outside diameter ng gulong.

as such if you swap your stock 14" rim and tire set with a 15" rim and a tire with shorter side wall then baka pareho lang ito ng stock config mo - then it would fit your wheel wells.

Pero if you put a 15" rims with taller sidewall...maybe a tire with an outside diameter of 30" then it may have some wheel well "fit-ment" problem.

Most stock 14" with 195 rate (195/R14) tires will have an outside diameter of 27". A 235/R15 will have around 30" OD if i am not mistaken.

There would be some adjustment needed sa T-bar and the "turning stopper" ng L200 if you load these tires sa harap. Sa likod, you can still have the stock as long as hindi naka-tingala ang stance ng pick-up. Pero pag-may load ka na more than 500kg malamang mas mataas na ang harap. A shackle na about 2-3" longer might be needed.
    Last edited by wildthing; July 2nd, 2004 at 08:38 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Wildthing

My problem is that my L200 has front coil springs, no torsion bars. Mas madali sana kung torsion bar.

I am not really a fan of those wide off-road tires. I use my pick-up mostly on highways so I prefer highway tires for this vehicle. I once used a vehicle with wide off-road tires and the noise created by the tires at high speed was very irritating.

Once a month I travel from Gensan to Surigao City via Agusan del Sur (550km one way). There is a 30 kilometer stretch of rough road in Agusan kaya I wanted slightly bigger tires. I have 185R14 tires with the original mags and would have liked to use those 205R15 radials mounted on 15" rims except the front tires might rub against the wheel wells.

Luckytruck

Glad to know that there is somebody else from Gensan here. I'll try to look for Russel next time I have a tune-up/oil change.

I have long thought about turbo-charging my L200 but that is another story. My ride is 7 years old but with only 60Tkm on the odometer and runs fine. Maybe when it is time for an overhaul I'll consider bolting on a turbo.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    calcite::: Bakit po kakaiba yata ang suspension configuration ng L200 nyo? Yung gamit namin sa province 93 model pa started out with torsion bars for the front and upto now, yun pa rin ang gamit ng factory para sa front suspension. Meron po itong double A arms but the springs used are torsion bars.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Originally posted by calcite
    I have a '97 L200 all stock. This has coil springs in front and rear leafs.
    calcite,

your L200 has coil springs up front? i was always under the impression that L200's had TB's as springs up front (IFS).

paj4x4

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I am sure I have coil springs because I remember that when I replaced the front shocks, I had to insert the shocks inside the coils which made it a bit harder to do. It has double A-arms with coil springs. Sana nga torsion bar para madali lang i-crank. I want to check it now but I am in Gensan and I left my vehicle in Surigao - tinamad ako mag-drive pa-balik.

Baka naman torsion bars are installed on 4x4 models. Mine is only 4x2.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    4x2 po yung gamit namin sa province. Dapa na nga yun, nagalay na ang torsion bars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Lifting L200