New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OK guys,

Another question waay left!

I'm more a car guy, and the diesel pick-up I have is more for work. I have my own toy car which is slowly being modified as an almost purely track car.

Question now is, what can I do to improve the high-speed ride / handling of my pickup? Its Ford Ranger XLT. Again, I have a general idea of what to do, but I'm looking for specific suggestions from people who've been using diesel rides / SUV's / pick-ups / AUV's etc as their primary car.

Also, what about wheel alignment? I've had much success playing with my car's alignment specs. What about for pick-ups in general and the Ranger specifically? And tires? I still want all-terrain tires pero yung mas biased parin sana sa high-way. What are your recommendations?

Again, thanks! ;)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was advised once to change the OEM shocks to good aftermarket ones. They say it may improve the ride quality. I am currently planning to do it with my Strada. :D

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    up ko lang... interesado ako sa mga isasagot nyo dito eh

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On my pick-up, since i have no budget for a shock upgrade and wheel upgrade, i play around with the tire pressure... I get better road feel and stability at the 32psi (cold) range for all four tires.

On tires, it's nicer to play around with slightly wider tires (my stock Goodyear Wranglers are POS). On alignment, thats the achilles heel of my pick-up now... i cant seem to get it done perfectly the way i want it. Now i'm experiencing uneven tire wear (and to have some suspension parts checked).

SOme shops like the Ride, Carryboy and teh 4x4 shops sell aftermarket rear anti-sway bars, polyurethane bushings, shocks, etc for the pick-ups and 4x4's. I'm eyeing the Rancho gas shocks for my pick-up, they also have a model with adjustable dampening.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmm, yun na nag rin naisip ko, better damped shocks like RANCHO or Old Man Emu. Worth it ba yung rear-sway bar upgrade? Sure, on cars OK siya, pero just how fast can you take a curve with a live-axle high CG truck? As for the tires, thanks! I forgot about the tire pressure!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have the 2001 Xl7 and it can max it to 115mph speedo limit, but the ride feels floaty. I would install better shocks/springs.
    on twisty roads it can hang on with some of its small brothers,I was doing 75mph at reno's twisties, I have the stabilizer bar.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the sway-bars are worth it, even more in a truck because it helps remove some of the "boatiness" of the ride. better damped shocks plus the swaybar will work very well.

all-terrain tires are nice, but if you spend most of your time on-road, i wouldn't suggest it. much less grip, much less stability all for the sake of looks. you'll experience longer stopping distances and lockups under braking on wet roads. if its just for the sake of looking good, you might as well get bigger wheels and lower profile street tires. the j-top pajero came stock with 18"s, so that might be a good starting point.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just had a fun drive in the pick-up. Hmm, ideas are: soften the rear suspension (spring rates, pwede ba yun sa leaf spring?) to help eliminate pitching and some softer compound street biased tires. Tires were locking up all too easily, even while heel-toeing.

Granted, I'm driving it like how I drive my car, and s**t it can haul serious a** for a diesel! :D

Wheel alignment is all wrong for my use of the pick-up. :roll: Dang drum brakes.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT: isn't it hard to heel-toe on a pickup? the pedals are usually way out of place..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    RS,

Soften rear suspension ba 'kamo?!? Yes that is possible...bawasan mo ang leafsprings ng at least isa....but your loading capacity ng pick-up severely decreases. Sabi ng iba just buy aftermarket leafsprings (mas softer ang rear yet you could load the same capacity) - but then again I don't have a first hand experience on that.

Another suggestion for performance improvement that I got from another pick-up site is to replace the brake lines (OEM are usually rubber hose) with a steel braided ones. It would give great improvement on the braking power with a "small" investment cost.

Second possible mods is to change the rear drum brakes to disk brakes...or isama mo na rin ang harapan and get those ventilated and bigger disk brakes.

Splerdu,

"isn't it hard to heel-toe on a pickup?" Not with a ranger....car po talaga halos ang configuration sa loob unlike typical pick-ups.... its pedals seems okay naman ang set-up.

my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
improvements sa high-speed ride / handling