New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    I don’t have a Trooper but I have both diesel & gas w/ auto trannies. In the morning shifting is a bit delayed, matagal mag-up-shift maybe because the ATF is not yet at its proper working temp. When you press hard on the gas or when you floor it, automatics downshift. My Starex uses a kickdown cable for this purpose, engine rpm goes a little over 4k, then it upshifts. My F-150 does the same thing, I floor it when passing, engine rpm is at 4.5k then it upshifts, this is ECU controlled. I suggest you drain your ATF, i.e. if you haven’t done so after acquiring your unit but you can only drain what’s in the tranny’s oil pan (most of it is in the torque converter, cooler & lines). The first thing I do after acquiring a used unit is drain & replace all fluids no matter what seller says.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    guys thanks so much for all your advice, imagine i was looking into so many forums around the internet and meron lang palang ganitong forum dito sa pinas.

will follow everyone's advice and i do hope na may thread dito that covers maintenance work for all SUVs.

cheers!

good input from jayo. hindi normal for troopers to shift only after 4K rpm. Pag sa normal around 2.5-2.75K rpm and around 3-3.25K rpm pag nasa power drive.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    well, its not always like that garyq, in normal circumstances it usually shifts at 3k rpm or lower. it depends on how much i press the gas pedal. but there are some instances when, i press the gas pedal halfway, the tranny refuses to upshift to 2nd gear, but if i let go of the gas even slightly, saka siya mag upshift. usually happens in the morning. but there are times when it works flawlessly.

u think it has something to do with the return line to the injection pump? may filter yun di ba? baka yun yung clogged?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Did you tried changing your ATF already?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    not yet, plan to do it next week. i have to change it 3 times kasi in order to drain all the leftover ATF fluid from before.

any recommendations for which ATF fluid to use on my bighorn?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Try Castrol's dexron 3 ATF, a bit cheaper than others and made in USA. You may need about 8-9L for 3 changes.

Get another liter of ATF and change power steering fluid as well.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    ok

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    “but there are some instances when, i press the gas pedal halfway, the tranny refuses to upshift to 2nd gear, but if i let go of the gas even slightly, saka siya mag upshift.”

That’s how I “manually” upshift my Starex. Slightly let go or ease up on the gas pedal.

ATF? Check your dipstick or drain plug, my Starex has DII (Dexron II) mark on the drain plug, but I’m using Petron ATF w/c they claim to be Dexron III in their website, also use it as power steering fluid. I always drain engine and tranny at the same time every 5,000 km and immediately after a long drive so particles and contaminants are still suspended and comes out with the fluid when it drains (caution! fluid is very hot). My tranny’s pan holds about 3 liters (system requires 9 liters).

Almost forgot this, your tranny’s filter/screen, you may also need to replace or clean. This is also one of the reasons why I drain my atf with every oil change, less debris to block/clog the tranny filter.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    ok, now this is really valuable info. funny how you dont get this kind of advice from some casa mechanics.

thanks again for the added information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
gear shifting question for bighorn owners