New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    hi guys,

paki-check ninyo ito:

www.upsolute.com

meron na silang local distributor dito for remapping CRDi engines. according to the website, the ECU tuning remap (convertible to stock with the flip of a switch) is 300 USD plus 70 USD installation.

better contact the local distributor for further info and applicability to your engines.

HTH.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    [QUOTE=ferdi;775922]intercoolers ~5-10hp PHP 20 - 40k
    QUOTE]

hello, i have a 2.4L TD needing an inter-cooler. where can i have one installed (reliably and reasonably priced) of course.... thanks in advance.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    if you are on a super tight budget and your Vehicle is not brand new. then you can do it yourself...

buy a surplus intercooler...

the only hard thing doing this by yourself is finding the right hose curves. since you can't bend these hoses because it affects pressure...

as long as you know the intercooler will fit. mounting it shoudn't be much problem. just look for a welding guru outhere... (just prioritize the hose position first before welding it with brackets and screws...)

if the intercooler stock fan is taking much space, remove it and replace it with a thin fan to mount in intercooler and connect it in the electrical line where it will turn on before ignition...

surplus intercooler without fan= 1500-2000
    thinest fan= 800-1200
    Hose=150-500 (or better ask the spare hose from the intercooler)

total cost more or less 3k + free fun and headaches experience...

and no guarantee it will maintain boost response or cause more Lags instead...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    EQ,
    Remaps are superior to piggyback but you need to also think about reliability and performance. Piggybacks with TUV ratings are very reliable and perfom well. Piggybacks also will give you more concealability which is a plus for warranty claims and emission testing. For remaps, you will have to rely on the technical knowhow of the one doing the remap. Is he going to do a rolling road test (or dyno run)? Will he warranty his remap? You need to check exhaust gas temperatures with any modification in fueling for diesels. Is this parameter being monitored by the one doing the remap? Is he altering boost pressures? If yes, is he monitoring this? Also, if the dealer uploads any upgrades (usually during regular maintenance), this will erase your remap.
    My 2 cents worth ... if you are after squeezing out the maximum performance from your engine (or have a highly modified engine), go with a remap. If you just want 20-30% gains with reliability and concealability, go piggyback. Note too that fuel quality and humidity, etc. have less significance for diesel engines as compared to gasoline engines. They affect performance but not as much as in gasoline engines.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    I am very much interested to know more about this piggyback and remapping of diesel engines. Please share/post in this forum the shop/s, location and contact numbers, that can handle them.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    if you are on a super tight budget and your Vehicle is not brand new. then you can do it yourself...

buy a surplus intercooler...

the only hard thing doing this by yourself is finding the right hose curves. since you can't bend these hoses because it affects pressure...

as long as you know the intercooler will fit. mounting it shoudn't be much problem. just look for a welding guru outhere... (just prioritize the hose position first before welding it with brackets and screws...)

if the intercooler stock fan is taking much space, remove it and replace it with a thin fan to mount in intercooler and connect it in the electrical line where it will turn on before ignition...

surplus intercooler without fan= 1500-2000
    thinest fan= 800-1200
    Hose=150-500 (or better ask the spare hose from the intercooler)

total cost more or less 3k + free fun and headaches experience...

and no guarantee it will maintain boost response or cause more Lags instead...

Rion thanks for the advice, but i have more questions....
    - where is a good place to find surplus intercooler?
    - i know Pajero and Starex ones are the ones with FAN.
    * is the FAN activated all the time or only during when there's Boost ?
    * where to connect the Signal to activate FAN? [harder option]
    * if i leave the FAN always on, won't it drain too much my electrical system?
    [easy option: but have concern, as i'm also running a powered SUBWoofer]
    - is it necessary to CHIP the ECU it after Installing Intercooler?

btw, my ride is a Hilux Surf with 2LTE (2.4TD)....

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ferdi View Post
    EQ,
    Remaps are superior to piggyback but you need to also think about reliability and performance. Piggybacks with TUV ratings are very reliable and perfom well. Piggybacks also will give you more concealability which is a plus for warranty claims and emission testing. For remaps, you will have to rely on the technical knowhow of the one doing the remap. Is he going to do a rolling road test (or dyno run)? Will he warranty his remap? You need to check exhaust gas temperatures with any modification in fueling for diesels. Is this parameter being monitored by the one doing the remap? Is he altering boost pressures? If yes, is he monitoring this? Also, if the dealer uploads any upgrades (usually during regular maintenance), this will erase your remap.
    My 2 cents worth ... if you are after squeezing out the maximum performance from your engine (or have a highly modified engine), go with a remap. If you just want 20-30% gains with reliability and concealability, go piggyback. Note too that fuel quality and humidity, etc. have less significance for diesel engines as compared to gasoline engines. They affect performance but not as much as in gasoline engines.
    Thanks for all the inputs fellas! I do have a couple more questions though...
    where can i buy one and what brand should i choose? Im only familiar with APEXi. is the piggyback ecu come pre-programmed for my vehicle type? so, is just plug and play then? waht sort of improvement are we looking for here (if a dyno isn't available)? can you really feel a significant grunt thruout the rev range? how about fuel economy? Thanks guys!

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    just for benchmarking but it is not accurate ... readings taken (from OBC)over a period of time (several full tanks).
    stock w/ tuningbox
    stop & go driving 11.5l/100km (8.7km/l) 14l/100km (7.1km/l)
    mixed city & highway 10.5l/100km (9.5km/l) 12.4l/100km (8km/l)
    pure highway 8.5l/100km ( 11.7km/l) 7.5l/100km (13.3km/l)

as you can see in city driving, consumption went up (especially during long periods of idling in traffic) but once you reach the highways economy increases (especially if you do not floor it often). this is is for a 3.0l commonrail turbo diesel car (not SUV or 4x4) with approx 220hp and 450nm torque. The fun factor happens at midrange and overtaking. There is a wall of torque from 2000 - 4000rpm.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM View Post
    Rion thanks for the advice, but i have more questions....
    - where is a good place to find surplus intercooler?
    try your nearest surplus spare shops nalang. a Pajero Intercooler w/fan most likely costs 3k. w/o fan 1500-2k

- i know Pajero and Starex ones are the ones with FAN.
    if you are using the Pajero Intercooler, don't use the fan or do not include buying the fan. the fan is small and it takes much vertical space.

* is the FAN activated all the time or only during when there's Boost?
    our style is activated all the time. stock intercoolers are triggered by sensors. not necessarily during boost... they could still be very hot after boosting...

most surplus Intercoolers has electric terminals, I will ask here what's it's purpose. maybe we could make use out of it...

* where to connect the Signal to activate FAN? [harder option]
    for now, it's connected right before ignition switch (along with the heater line),most likely black/yellow wire in the steering...

* if i leave the FAN always on, won't it drain too much my electrical system?
    the fan will only run on turned on engine, I don't think it will drain too much. our aircon condensers fan has 3... (2main,1secondary)

[easy option: but have concern, as i'm also running a powered SUBWoofer]
    you can also add a manual switch after the ignition switch line if you want. in my case, we had a spare "idle up" switch with light indicator from another same vehicle. I use it to switch on/off the intercooler fan manualy.

- is it necessary to CHIP the ECU it after Installing Intercooler?
    I don't know, never tried one... but with the right installation. I'm sure ECU is not necessary... but could be more benificial...

btw, my ride is a Hilux Surf with 2LTE (2.4TD)....
    is that a (JDM) Japan surplus? that's good then, you don't have much to worry experimenting it.

if you have a budget, get a wastegate control system and a boost gauge installed. so you can increase your pressure to compensate the added intercooler, and monitor it (recommended max psi for your 2LTE) so it won't overboost(damages turbo and engine)

like I said before, no guarantees... if your installation is a failure, you can go to experts. but atleast the cost you made was minimal...

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Rion, thanks for all your advice.... yes its a Subic Surf....if that;s what u mean by Surplus.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
diesel tuning