New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    it depends on the jeepney manufactuer..there are cheap ones and there are expensive ones...once before going to school i saw a jeep rear end a mitsubishi lancer and man it was like a soda can that was lightly stomped on.the owner type jeeps are very scary..

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    it depends on the jeepney manufactuer..there are cheap ones and there are expensive ones...once before going to school i saw a jeep rear end a mitsubishi lancer and man it was like a soda can that was lightly stomped on.the owner type jeeps are very scary..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowjip
    I dont think local jeepneys are that bad especially the expensive ones..especially here in batangas some of the jeepneys are the price of secondhand 2004 crosswind.Ive seen a jeepney that was going to be repaired because of a head on collision with a toyota revo the steering wheel didnt even move out of alignment.the damage didnt go past the windshield and the front didnt crumple.I guess its because of the hard chassies..
    hard chasis does not equate to safety.

hard chasis = ok kotse mo, patay pasahero sa loob hehehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a jeepney crashing into a corolla or civic will be like a brick falling onto a soda can....

BUT...

a jeepney crashing into a tree or wall will probably see all the occupants injured badly or dead.

take vehicle weight out of the equation (as they do in formal crash testing by crashing the vehicle into a static barrier), and chances are, the jeepney will have piss-poor crash safety characteristics (in terms of injuries sustained by occupants, which is the most important consideration... not vehicle damage). plus, wala ring restraint systems, so pwedeng minor damage lang sa jeep, pero yung ulo ng pasahero, wasak sa manibela or dashboard.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    But sometimes a look at a jeep and i imagine if you all seats facing forward and put proper seatbelts and upholsture the inside similer to a van i think it might be a little more safer dont you think?because the main problem with jeeps is its all bare metal no upholstary to cushion impacts..

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    will the chinese company producing the chinese SUV still be able to market them even with piss poor safety standards?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    guys, get real. it seems that almost all the replies in this thread are fueled mostly by the stereotype that "Made in China" products are inferior... in other words, that the vehicle performed badly in the offset barrier crash test simply because it's made in china by chinese workers.

as otep has noted, most truck-based SUV's perform poorly in such a demanding test as an offset barrier test (the offset test is of course, much more difficult to pass than the standard full frontal crash test). and also, that an offset barrier test is NOT required in government safety certification for vehicles (not even in the US or Europe)

kahit 1997 Ford F-150 ganyan din yung result sa offset crash test. same with the 1997 Chevy Venture. (to name just two) yung gen2 pajero din ata masagwa din yung result hehe.

I don't think it's a "made in china" issue.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002

here are US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 40-mph offset crash test result for a US-spec 1996 Isuzu Rodeo, which that Landwind seems to be heavily based on.

Puts things into perspective eh?

Damn low-tech prehistoric greedy capitalist Japanese make SUVs out of damn tuna sashimi! another piece-of-crap Made in Japan tin-can contraption! aargh! hehehe
    Last edited by mbt; October 19th, 2005 at 08:53 PM.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    thats true sir mbt not all well known vehicles are the safest on the road.even some U.S makes arent the safest.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Um, part of automotive safey that the vehicle 'absorb' impact. On all new vehicles (even those with airbags), the steering column and the wheel will intentionally move away (usually shorten) in cases of severe impacts. It's called an impact absorbing steering column.

The front end should 'crush' a bit too. Everything from the front bumper to the leading edge of the front door is considered sacrificial (it will absorb the impact instead of your body). Beyond that however, cabin integrity must be maintained.

Safety, however is relative to how much you are willing to pay and how much inconvenience you are willing put up with. When seatbelts were initially made available, few people even used them.

If everyone wanted the safest car, we'd all have rollcages and be wearing neck braces on our way to the office.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Chinese SUV gets 0/5 on crash test