New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Bubbles
    Tama like me. NO computers at all. pwede ko ilubog sa tubig and not worry about anything. Hmmm... magimport kaya ako ng diagnostic computers? whatcha think guys? If I can give you that, pupunta ba kayo sa shop ko?
    Improved auto technology helps, not hinders!!!

When computerized fuel injection was first installed on cars, ang daming car owners na nagdalawang isip that the technology would leave them stranded on the side of the road. True, there are a few faults that can stop a vehicle, pero engine computers compensate for most faults and let the vehicle "limp" home. Some will even allow the engine to run without coolant by turning off cylinders in sequence to prevent overheating (I found this out because my CR-V consumes its coolant fast and often times run on minimum coolant level or none at all)!

Today, many drivers have forgotten about carburetors that needed adjustment every spring and fall or sparkplugs that needed changing every 16000 km. Technology has eliminated much of this frequent maintenance and improved engine performance so that many vehicles can operate for years without engine adjustments. Improved driveability both hot and cold, better fuel economy and lower exhaust emissions are other benefits of engine computer technology we often overlook.

Marami pang ibang example of car technology that helps us on our everyday driving. Tapos I often hear people not only here in tskot but also dun sa mga autoshops dati when I was in the Philippines talking about the good old days when cars were simple and easy to work on. In reality, few remember how much work was involved in maintaining those vehicles. Technology has presented challenges when repairing vehicles, but it has also built better tools to diagnose problems too. For us, it has made driving a lot more enjoyable, safer and worry free.

Technology has improved automobiles immensely over the years, but some things never change. Ganon pa rin ang mga engines.... they still need oil, filters get dirty and tires need air. Have routine maintenance items checked often to protect your high tech automobile.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, techonology does change. But I limit myself to techonology that me or my mechanic can handle. Siguro kapag marunong na ko magbukas ng ECU or magkalikot ng electronics, then I can make the jump. For me, if the equipment can only be worked on by the dealer, I'm not for it. Antayin ko dumating ang time na pwede na ipagawa sa labas. Then I will accept it. Kaya siguro 10-15 years behind ako sa automotive tech.

Pero as it is, I still like it simple and trail fixable.

And just like bubbles, I value water resistance.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Different strokes for different folks right ;)

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Macky,
    For my 4x4, the less technology the better. But my '82 corona Used to run on an aftermarket Fuel injection kit. Yes it has an ECU. sold it eventually for money but it was hell of a lot more convenient than the twin webbers that i went back to. Well, I don't use the car anymore so it doesn't matter. but a carb can't compare to the fuel savings, power, smoothness. etc..

I'm not against technology. Just in the right vehicle. My corona will never touch water. Unlike my rig wherein an under wash entails dunking the entire vehicle in waist deep water.

Imagine thinking about your computer box, H.I.D. lamps, electronic A/C control, etc. wile your other buddies are having fun in the water.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I totally get your points and as long as you're enjoying your vehicles..... why not?

But for a practical person like me, whose main priority is safety (with the high number of road accident fatalities here, who wouldn't be?) and reliability...... technology is the way to go.

Sa safety pa lang, madami nang naitulong ang technology. Electronic sensors deploy air bags during life threatening accidents. My CR-V even have a sensor that can detect if the front passenger is a kid and as such, the side airbags will not deploy. It also has an SRS system that has dual stage inflator to match the airbag deployment speed with seatbelt use and the severity of the crash. Computer-controlled ABS and stability control systems help drivers keep the vehicle under control when roads are slippery or during sudden accident avoidance manoeuvres.

Meron ding mga bagong kotse ngayon na may "brake assist" technology na nakaka- senses ng rate kung gaano kalakas na press yung brake pedal tapos it automatically apply brakes fully if necessary. Drivers may step on the brake pedal quickly but take time to react fully to dangerous situations. The computer can already be providing maximum braking force, stopping the vehicle that few feet shorter necessary to avoid an accident.

AFAIK Lexus, Toyota, Infiniti and Jaguar are now offering adaptive cruise control systems that will slow the car if another vehicle is too close or warn drivers of danger.

Example pa lang ito ng mga technology na are often advertised by the manufacturers. Meron ding technology that has improved vehicles in unseen ways too.

Computer Assisted Design (CAD), an engineering software, allows manufacturers to crash test virtual cars and trucks to determine where changes in design or materials will improve vehicle crash safety. Ngayon during an accident, vehicles are designed to crumple in specific zones so that the passenger compartment stays intact pero durog naman yung the rest of the vehicle's body as it absorbs the energy. Passengers are protected by the gradual deceleration of the vehicle. Without the use of computer technology, years of study on real accidents would have to occur before some design changes could be incorporated.

Ano pa ba........ ah yung mga HIDs na mas maliwanag ng 60%.... yung bagong labas na voice activated controls ng new Accord which allow drivers to keep their eyes on the road..... yung night vision that warns drivers of pedestrians and animals beyond the range of the headlamps.... Sa MDX naman yung ultrasonic park assist na nagwa-warn sa drivers of objects close to the vehicle. Meron din syang tire pressure monitoring system that alerts drivers when it detects that tire pressure in one or more tires drops significantly below the recommended pressure. Ano pa ba.... yung immobilizer, etc., etc., etc.

All these high tech features enable drivers to "see" outside the vehicle better for enhanced safety. Without advances in technology, none of these features would be possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Casa service?