New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Why resell? Because there is the possibility of deciding to sell it after say 8-10 yrs. and it's not going to be used as a work horse. Why not a sedan? Actually we are thinking about getting a sedan or pick up. I like the comfort of a sedan and I definitely prefer a sedan over a pick up, but the problem is the risk of flooding, hence the pick up is the next choice.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    In my observation what usually happens for an 8-10 year old vehicle, its resale value goes in a plateau.. so regardless of brand halos the same nalang resale value nyan. siguro meron konting difference but not that substantial.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    If i were you i'd get a SUV instead of a pickup. Kawawa passengers mo sa likod kung gagawin mo siyang daily drive with a person at the back seat. Kung worried kanaman sa floods na ala ondoy or habagat, kahit naka pick-up kapa, aabutin at aabutin parin yan. Kung light floods naman, there's always a another way around and its not always raining naman. Okay pickup kung willing kang isabak sa baha at putikan. Pero lets be honest, kokonti lang ang may lakas ng loob isabak sa baha ang kanilang pinakamamahal na sasakyan mapa suv/pickup o sedan pa yan. SUV has a high clearance so hindi ka rin naman mamomroblema sa light floods. It all boils down to Form vs. Function, pick 1.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderintravele View Post
    Hi. I'm new here and I was hoping that some 'experts' or those who have experience can give me more insights/advice on which pick up to get. We have a Toyota Innova and a very old Nissan Frontier (probably 10yrs old). We are contemplating on replacing this old one before it becomes useless. At first I thought of an SUV, but my husband says that since we have an AUV which almost is like an SUV and an SUV is more expensive than a pick up. We will most likely pick on just a 4x2 manual transmission for reason of practicality. 4x4s for sure are more expensive and I heard that they consume more fuel. I don't know much about cars either and just relying on people's comments. For our usage, we definitely don't use it for hauling heavy load. This is basically a family car. A car that is cost efficient and durable, good resale value.

I see that the choices available in the market are: Dmax, Strada, Navara, Hi-lux and Ranger.

We are confused because of varying comments. For our purpose and based on what I read (having the most comfortable ride), it seems the Strada is for us. However, I also read that maintenance cost is high. We value durability so that is a question. My sister said that her impression of Mitsubishi is that it's not durable.

A friend mentioned the Dmax as being fuel efficient. I don't really know how this compares with others. This is just one person's opinion.

Another friend recommends the Hi-lux just because it's a Toyota. At first I didn't consider this because I've read that it's not the safest car compared to the other pick ups. I saw a video that it almost tilted over compared to a Strada. However, I'm told that I also have to consider maintenance cost and ease of finding spare parts and Toyota is definitely the brand to consider.

Navara, so far no one recommended this except for my sister who has an old Nissan and basically says that this is her choice because it has 6speed. But if it's just city driving why would I need a 6 speed and I'm not into speed if it's the advantage of this car. Our old Nissan Frontier is definitely not a comfortable car (very bumpy), but then it's a very old model so I'm not yet sure how the new one is.

Ranger, I heard that spare parts of Ford are much more expensive than other brands. Not sure yet of the size, but I heard it's a bulky car so I'm not sure if this will be too big for our garage.

Anyone who have owned these cars or maybe an 'expert' can share your opinion?

Thanks.
    Hi. Our family has been using pickup trucks since 1987 for our buy and lease real estate properties and we have owned 1987 Datsun pickup, 1996 mitsubishi L200, 2004 4x2 hilux, and 2005 Hilux 4x2 E D4D.

Based on what you have shared, your future pickup truck will mostly be used in city driving. Therefore, I would like to narrow down your options on many brands to choose out there. Whenever I buy a vehicle, these are the following things I mostly consider very important:

1. RELIABILITY - under proper care of a vehicle. How long does it take before undergoing repairs? (suspension, engine, transmission, etc.)
    Does the manufacturer have a good track record in reliability?

2. REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE COST - How much money will I burn on parts when the need arises compared with other brands?

3. AVAILABILITY OF PARTS - If ever my vehicle would need repair can I easily get it to my suking tindahan?

If my buying options will be based on the above it would all be narrowed down to Mitsubishi and Toyota. These are the brands that have a good track record on reliability, parts are definitely abundant, and generally speaking, repairs and maintenance cost is lower compared with other brands. So what will you get, a Mitsubishi Strada or Toyota Hilux?

I would recommend that you buy a Toyota Hilux E 4x2 MT. Our Toyota Hilux has been with us for 8 years at 141,000 km. The most expensive parts that I spent on are shocks, magnetic clutch in the aircon, and of course tires. But if you want a more fuel efficient variant, you may opt to buy a Hilux J variant since the engine output only churns out 102 hp but minus the amenities (e.g. no power windows, no power side mirror, etc.).

Our Mitsu L200 is also reliable, it has been with us for 17 years at 338,000 km. No major repairs has done on its engine not even an overhaul. But I had its upper/lower suspension bushings and ball joints replaced when it was just 4 years old. That is why I recommended that you get a Toyota.

So this is just my honest to goodness opinion based on my experience owning pickup trucks. Just strictly observe proper maintenance care of your vehicle and it will go a long way.

One more thing, its also common knowledge that pickup trucks of all brands are bumpy (matagtag). Always bear in mind that what you are buying is a T-R-U-C-K not a car or SUV that are car based. Again it is a T-R-U-C-K.
    Last edited by usokpower; November 26th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by usokpower View Post
    Hi. Our family has been using pickup trucks since 1987 for our buy and lease real estate properties and we have owned 1987 Datsun pickup, 1996 mitsubishi L200, 2004 4x2 hilux, and 2005 Hilux 4x2 E D4D.

Based on what you have shared, your future pickup truck will mostly be used in city driving. Therefore, I would like to narrow down your options on many brands to choose out there. Whenever I buy a vehicle, these are the following things I mostly consider very important:

1. RELIABILITY - under proper care of a vehicle. How long does it take before undergoing repairs? (suspension, engine, transmission, etc.)
    Does the manufacturer have a good track record in reliability?

2. REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE COST - How much money will I burn on parts when the need arises compared with other brands?

3. AVAILABILITY OF PARTS - If ever my vehicle would need repair can I easily get it to my suking tindahan?

If my buying options will be based on the above it would all be narrowed down to Mitsubishi and Toyota. These are the brands that have a good track record on reliability, parts are definitely abundant, and generally speaking, repairs and maintenance cost is lower compared with other brands. So what will you get, a Mitsubishi Strada or Toyota Hilux?

I would recommend that you buy a Toyota Hilux E 4x2 MT. Our Toyota Hilux has been with us for 8 years at 141,000 km. The most expensive parts that I spent on are shocks, magnetic clutch in the aircon, and of course tires. But if you want a more fuel efficient variant, you may opt to buy a Hilux J variant since the engine output only churns out 102 hp but minus the amenities (e.g. no power windows, no power side mirror, etc.).

Our Mitsu L200 is also reliable, it has been with us for 17 years at 338,000 km. No major repairs has done on its engine not even an overhaul. But I had its upper/lower suspension bushings and ball joints replaced when it was just 4 years old. That is why I recommended that you get a Toyota.

So this is just my honest to goodness opinion based on my experience owning pickup trucks. Just strictly observe proper maintenance care of your vehicle and it will go a long way.

One more thing, its also common knowledge that pickup trucks of all brands are bumpy (matagtag). Always bear in mind that what you are buying is a T-R-U-C-K not a car or SUV that are car based. Again it is a T-R-U-C-K.
    You are absolutely right regarding the considerations when choosing a car. They are our top basis and not much on looks. Another priority for us, or at least for me who is usually seated at the back is comfort. Yes I perfectly understand that it can't be as comfortable as a sedan, but I would prefer the most comfortable one that the current pick ups can offer. If it was just me, I'd rather a sedan, but we also have to consider about the risk of flooding because sedans have naturally low ground clearance. Hence the next choice is a pick up.

Coincidentally we ended up narrowing it down to either Mitsubishi 4x2 GLX or Toyota 4x2 G variant. Although a lot are saying that the coming all new Isuzu Dmax is something to look into. But since it's not yet here, it's not a choice at the moment. I am siding more on the Mitsubishi because everyone says that if it's basically city driving this is the most comfortable one. We still don't know how it compares with Toyota on fuel consumption. And another minus is that our choice of model is non VGT yet. Frankly I don't know what this is, all I know is that it's an improvement on current diesel engine pick ups.

Regarding the Toyota hi-lux you mentioned that you changed the shocks? Does it mean the suspension? Did you change this when it was new or when the warranty period was over? I was thinking that if the Hi-lux ride can be made more comfortable by changing the suspension perhaps it's something to look into. Because just talking about brand, from what I hear, it seems Toyota always has the edge. It is much more expensive than the Mitsubishi Strada though.

I appreciate very much for sharing your personal opinion and experience. Definitely informative.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderintravele View Post
    You are absolutely right regarding the considerations when choosing a car. They are our top basis and not much on looks. Another priority for us, or at least for me who is usually seated at the back is comfort. Yes I perfectly understand that it can't be as comfortable as a sedan, but I would prefer the most comfortable one that the current pick ups can offer. If it was just me, I'd rather a sedan, but we also have to consider about the risk of flooding because sedans have naturally low ground clearance. Hence the next choice is a pick up.

Coincidentally we ended up narrowing it down to either Mitsubishi 4x2 GLX or Toyota 4x2 G variant. Although a lot are saying that the coming all new Isuzu Dmax is something to look into. But since it's not yet here, it's not a choice at the moment. I am siding more on the Mitsubishi because everyone says that if it's basically city driving this is the most comfortable one. We still don't know how it compares with Toyota on fuel consumption. And another minus is that our choice of model is non VGT yet. Frankly I don't know what this is, all I know is that it's an improvement on current diesel engine pick ups.

Regarding the Toyota hi-lux you mentioned that you changed the shocks? Does it mean the suspension? Did you change this when it was new or when the warranty period was over? I was thinking that if the Hi-lux ride can be made more comfortable by changing the suspension perhaps it's something to look into. Because just talking about brand, from what I hear, it seems Toyota always has the edge. It is much more expensive than the Mitsubishi Strada though.

I appreciate very much for sharing your personal opinion and experience. Definitely informative.

Isuzu dmax is arguably the best truck in off-roading. But from what ive heard parts are hard to find and expensive and had to be ordered.

VGT is short for variable geometry turbo which from what i have read has lesser turbo lag than ordinary turbo chargers. You wont be needing the
    power boost since you will be using it mostly on city driving. Yes it will consume more fuel. Our fortuner 3.0litre VNT consumes 1/2 fuel from alabang to subic and vice versa. While our hilux 2.5litre non VNT only consumes 1/4 of fuel from alabang to subic and vice versa.

Shocks is short for shock absorber which is located behind all four tires which basically absorbs kinetic energy. Without it the ride will be very uncomfortable. I changed its shocks after the warranty period, on its 4th year to be exact. I had to change it since ive been using the hilux to load and haul around 300 to 500 kg of cement, sand, soil, etc. I never tried loading it to maximum payload of I think 1000kg. Ayoko takot ako.

I think you made a good choice on the Mitsubishi Strada. It has a high ground clearance and you can watch on youtube videos on Stradas wading thru 2 feet high floods.

Oh yes, bear in mind that all pickup trucks nowadays are Common Rail Diesel Injection (CRDI) and you have to pick a gas station that offers good quality of diesel fuel and not flood prone. Fill it up with high grade diesel like shells v-power, petrons turbo diesel, etc. CRDIs are sensitive and you may experience stalling during cold starts when filled with dirty diesel. Unlike old pickup trucks with mechanical type of diesel engines. Kahit madumi aandar pa rin

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012

Ma'am Wanderintraveller (also of TopGear Philippines )

Just a brief note:

If you wish ride COMFORT, get either the Navara or Strada. The Strada, in particular, uses coil springs at the back whereas the more utilitarian pickups like the D-max and Hilux are on leaf springs, kaya matagtag on stock-trim yet pang-kargahan talaga.

If you wish a relatively NEW ENGINE, get either the all-new Ford Ranger or all-new Chevrolet Colorado. The Hilux 3.0 D-4D engine is a 2001 base-model powerplant, while the Hilux 2.5 D-4D engine is a 2004 design, the D-max 3.0 Ddi-iTEQ engine is also a 2004 base-model design, while the Strada 2.5 Di-D or GT-V engine is an old 1986 base-model powerplant that was mated with an intercooler, a common-rail, an EGR, and a VGT over a period of 3 decades. While a lot of them smoke less visually to even nil, the Strada's engine billows out the most smoke.

If you wish to have the SAFEST PICKUP, get either the Ranger or Colorado, both have the highest safety rating for passengers in event of severe collision or impact, particularly the Ranger with 5-star Euro NCAP rating.

If you want the LEAST AMOUNT OF MAINTENANCE-COST in service centres, get the Hilux. Toyota's maintenance cost a bit lesser than Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and quite sizeably compared to Nissan. We still don't know the cost of ownership and maintenance of the two American all-new pickups, as of yet; we have to wait perhaps next year or so for more actual maintenance feedback through the years.

If you want ULTIMATE LONGEVITY, DURABILITY AND RELIABILITY, get either the D-max or Hilux. While the Hilux engine runs in timing-belt that needs replacement every 100,000 km, the D-max engine runs in maintenance-free stainless steel timing chain-and-gear. The D-max chassis has 8-cross members, similar to the number of cross-span you will find in the all-new Chevrolet Colorado ladder-frame. However, both the Strada and the Navara are durable as well. Perhaps, even the all-new Ranger and the Colorado are durable as well as both companies have the Asian- or Australasian-setting and the outbacks of Australia in their minds when they designed these pickups. LONGEVITY and RELIABILITY other than DURABILITY are different adjectives though to emphasise further on the D-max and Hilux pickups built solidly for utilitarian use....

If you are after a pickup with the CLEANEST EMISSION OUTPUT in terms of CO2 levels, get the D-max 3.0 Ddi-iTEQ. Since no recent test yet that i know of have been done involving the all-new Ranger and Colorado, this levels of carbon footprint in the exhaust happens to come from a 2009 diesel 4x4 pickup comparison done in the desert of Australia. The cleanest exhaust came from the Isuzu D-max and Holden Colorado (Holden in the Chevrolet in Australia) that back then both of them share the same 4JJ1-TC platform but this one comes with a VGT, 2nd cleanest was the Ranger 3.0 TDCi, then 3rd comes from the Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, then 4th from the Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D, and the dirtiest exhaust of them all, that incidentally happens also to be the most fuel-thirsty of them all, comes from the Navara 2.5 ST-X.

If you are after a FRUGAL-SIPPER, get the D-max 3.0 Ddi-iTEQ. It even consumes less fuel than our Innova 2.5 D-4D - See post no. 160 of this thread http://tsikot.com/forums/isuzu-cars-...ml#post2047048

But, like i said in the other forum site, if i were you ma'am, i will just hold on to my hard-earned money in the meantime.... It's better to see next year for newer models which might even include the Volkswagen Amarok 2.0 TDi and the new D-max RT-50 in your choices. Again, hold on to your money as it's useless to buy now in a haste ending up unsatisfied later on. You deserve to have the best pickup now that you have lots of pickup to choose from ;)

Cheers and goodluck!

8. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Nice summary Dmac.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12