New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    21Nov2004 (UTC +8)

(See some pics at http://www.pbase.com/drexx/60000mi_uzj100)

After my UZJ-100 Land Cruiser's purchase in California on May 2 of 2001, after crossing the Pacific Ocean with me, it's now time for its 60,000 mile (equal to 100,000km) maintenance schedule.

I opened up my front/rear brakes to check thickness of rotors and pads, as checked as well as the parking brake. the disc brakes were fairly clean, but I sprayed them with brake cleaner nonetheless. The parking brake needed a soft brush to clean out the thin cake of mud inside it.

Took out the radiator too, and cleaned the mud off it. (I was told that what I did wasn't a common thing to do here? In mud-oriented 'Pinas??? They say that the only maintenance they do is replace the coolant+water in the radiator?) Drained the coolant off the engine block too. I sprayed the radiator with an engine degreaser until low-pressure tap water could easily flow through the fins. I mixed Toyota coolant 50/50 with filtered drinking water when I put the radiator back in. And cleaned the aircon heat exchange too.

And I wasn't done yet... I changed out the engine oil and filter, as well as the fr/rr diff oil, and the transfer case oil. I used Redline 5w30 synthetic engine oil with Toyota oil filter, and Mobil1 synthetic GL-5 gear oil for the transfer case and diffs. Didn't have to change out the Redline ATF as it's been less than a year since I "burned" the old ATF in a bad hill climb. Swapped in new Toyota spark plugs too. I also set my tyres to 32psi (cold) and did a full rotation. I also got out my torque wrench, aside from using it to properly torque all the bolts involved, and re-torqued the cross-members of the chassis: particularly the ones supporting the front diff, the transmission & transfer cases, and the rear axle.

Visually inspected the drive shaft boots, the suspension bushings, the brake lines, charcoal canister, and the rest of the body for cracks and damage as well. Then wiped the underbody with used engine oil for rust protection and to easily remove mud in the future.

Next thing on my list is to check the valve clearances and also re-pack the axle bearings (and replace with new gaskets of course). Whew!! Checking the valve clearance will be a b!tchin job 'coz of all the wires and hoses that I have to deal with (and memorize!), including the removal of the timing belt cover. Also in the list is the greasing of the front and rear propeller shafts.

And it all started with my rear brake shims squeeling for my attention.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Wow, that's a real DIY job!
    What brake pads are you using and how long do they last?
    How about changing the brake fluid while you're at it?
    I'd use distilled water with the coolant not mineral water.
    Replaced fuel filter?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    namumuti loob ng radiator ng gumamit ako ng tap water plus toyota coolant dahil yata sa chlorine.. not sure sa filtered water

i also use distilled water (absolute kasi mura) plus coolant sa radiator..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by jackaroo
    Wow, that's a real DIY job!
    What brake pads are you using and how long do they last?
    How about changing the brake fluid while you're at it?
    I'd use distilled water with the coolant not mineral water.
    Replaced fuel filter?
    I use geniune Toyota brake pads. They have consistent quality that I trust my family's life on. For my rear brake pads, it lasted me about 56,500km, but the front only 48,000km.

I didn't change the brake fluid nor the fuel filter because there was no need to. The Toyota maintenance manual didn't call for it either.

60,000mi (equal to 100,000km) maintenance schedule for UZJ-100