The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Evolution + Outlander = Evolander

Ok ang pangalan astig.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Superchargers aren't necessarily faster.

Superchargers are more linear in delivery, yes, but parasitic losses hamper power production with a supercharger. Price to price, a turbo kit will offer greater power potential than a comparable supercharger kit.

And, paradoxically, superchargers actually produce more intake heat than turbochargers. This is because internal friction of the more complex supercharger creates more heat than the simple scroll turbine of the turbo. Modern materials and design have relieved this somewhat, though, and fit both systems with an intercooler, and it becomes a non-issue.

But since superchargers are smooth, they're preferred for higher end installs and luxury vehicles.

Turbochargers may have lag, but proper turbo kit design and parts matching limits lag. My clubmate has a turbo-charged Lynx RS, and there's not much lag or excessive ramp-up in turbo delivery. It produces extra power from 2500 rpm up to the rev limit.

Still, you can't entirely eliminate lag, and at higher power levels, excessive boost-ramp up makes the cars a bit touchy. But again, this is all down to design.

And new VGT systems (variable geometry turbos) can almost completely eliminate lag, as they're designed to maintain turbine speed even at low exhaust flow. VGT is one technology in which Hyundai-Kias offered locally have it all over the Japanese. The only other cars being sold locally with VGT are Porsches....

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO it looks like an extended RAV 4 infront and sides. Sa back it look like the Montero sports available locally.

I do like the interior and V6 Mivec and supercharger!

OT: I would still prefer the supercharger than the turbo...probably mas cheaper pa rin ito considering stock, no turbo lag and if an intercooler is present on the air intake the heat is controllable...baka mas malakas pa rin ito kaysa stock turbo.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Nope. No intercooler.

To be fair, the heat problem shouldn't be that bad, since it's a scroll-type supercharger, and driveability should be great with the V6's torque and the linear supercharger delivery.

But seriously... Mitsubishi = Turbo Marcos pa rin!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    And new VGT systems (variable geometry turbos) can almost completely eliminate lag, as they're designed to maintain turbine speed even at low exhaust flow. VGT is one technology in which Hyundai-Kias offered locally have it all over the Japanese. The only other cars being sold locally with VGT are Porsches....

That's correct :D VGT definitely redefined Turbocharging :-) I should know because i drive a car equipped with one.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    turbo lag is a thing of a pass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
2006 SEMA: Evolander