New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi! Can anybody give a good review of this car? TIA!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    I bought the Peugeot 308 last February 1 because it's a hatch, which replaced my 2010 Subaru Impreza. It is also the most affordable from among my other choices: Mercedez-Benz A class, Audi A1, Mini 3-door, Subaru Levorg.

I opted for the gasoline engine variant (1.490M) as my daily drive isn't really that far. The model trim is Allure, so I studied the trim options as there are differences in country variants. I put up my spreadsheet comparo again which is a ritual everytime I'm buying a car (except the Subaru XV which I bought, i.e., pre-ordered not even seeing it in person). It wouldn't win the features war with say, a Ford Focus, but it's not that bare either.

When I test drove the unit, it is then that I made the decision to buy.

The engine and transmission

The Subaru Impreza it replaced has a normally aspirated 2L 150hp powerplant. The 308 features a 1.6L turbo-charged engine delivering 163hp (tunable to 250hp) so I'm pretty happy in this area. Driving it is fun and that's half of what matters to me.

Unlike the Impreza which has a manual transmission, the 308 has a six-speed automatic transmission and it's not CVT. It doesn't have paddle shifters like my XV but I don't really use it much. There is a "manual" mode if you like more interaction with the gearbox.

I wish there's snow here as the 308 features a "snow" mode, but I use the "sport" feature when I'm at the expressway.

There is a cruise control and speed limiter so that we can enjoy safe and comfortable driving.

Exterior

It's not the best looking hatch out there, but it's not the ugliest either. I like the front end a lot with the full-LED technology headlights and daytime running lights. It doesn't have the sequential LED turnlights of the GT Line trim, but that's not a big deal. The rear is ok and I like the tail light design.

The "Rubis" alloy wheels are 17" with Goodyear Efficient Grip tires. I think they're pretty good in terms of grip, noise, and comfort. It didn't came with mud flaps so I had to order a set from Aliexpress. I installed them with ease.

Front and rear sensors are standard which aids in parking. At first, I was disappointed that it didn't have a reversing camera, but I've come to like the sensors as they're mostly active. It has a visual and audible warning when motorcycles and other objects are too close to the car.

Interior

All-leather, with driver and front passenger heated seats is what will greet you inside. The dashboard is unique in a way that the instrument panel is above the leather steering wheel which is a welcome change for me. I like it a lot. The main "control panel" is a 9.7" multi-function touch-screen interface where air-conditioning, audio, car options, online manual, and even internet browsing is controlled and displayed. There is exactly one knob, and that is for volume control.

Air conditioning has dual-zone climate control which is useful should the passenger requires a different temperature than you do. The glove box compartment benefits from the airconditioning too.

Much of the cabin is smartly trimmed though spartan at the same time, and it works a lot for me.

Lighting

I like the fact that the 308 offers extra lighting features. Externally it has follow me home lighting, courtesy approach lighting, and internally it has the mood lighting.

Sound

This is the best sounding car I have owned. The Arkamys sound processing offers superb sonic quality and coupled with its capability to play both FLAC and OGG lossless files, I'm in for a pleasing aural experience.

There is one USB and one Aux interfaces. I bought a USB "dock" and the headunit has enough current to drive both my 64GB USB stick (FLAC media only) and Apple iPod Nano. It won't power both 64GB USB stick and iPod Classic 160GB disk-based media player, but it's not a big deal.

For wireless connectivity there is Bluetooth and is also the interface used to connect to the Internet via the phone APN.

There is no CD player.

Security and safety

The Peugeot 308 has the Security kit which includes an engine immobiliser and deadlocks, and an alarm.

There are six airbags. Driver and front passenger airbags, front side airbags, and curtain airbags. Additional safety features include automatic fuel cut off, automatic door unlock, and hazard warning lamps activation.

Space

Driver and front passenger space is spacious enough but rear passengers will have just enough leg room. I wouldn't seat three people at the back.

The boot space is impressive, folding one rear seat is enough to slip in a 29" bicycle into it.

Other bits and pieces

The convenience of having a rear 12 volt accessory power point for my rear "dash camera."

Visibility pack: Automatic headlights & windscreen wipers, electrochrome auto dimming rear view mirror are features I also appreciate a lot.

Summary

Over-all I like this car. It is very comfortable, has enough power to keep me grinning, pretty good handling and visibility.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the comprehensive review. I finally decided on the forester after i got a 100K discount on the pre-facelifted model.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    You're welcome. Enjoy the Forester.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldc View Post
    I bought the Peugeot 308 last February 1 because it's a hatch, which replaced my 2010 Subaru Impreza. It is also the most affordable from among my other choices: Mercedez-Benz A class, Audi A1, Mini 3-door, Subaru Levorg.

When I test drove the unit, it is then that I made the decision to buy.

Over-all I like this car. It is very comfortable, has enough power to keep me grinning, pretty good handling and visibility.
    Couldn't agree more sir.

Have a 308 Wagon. Test drove several cars including the Levorg and actually already close to buying - cancelled my test drive with Peugeot, but the sales lady was persistent and offer to fetch me for the test drive.

Unang tapak pa lang. My wife and I knew the answer. Still enjoying driving the car today and highly recommend a look into the brand Peugeot.

My only problem is the company here sucks so bad with sales, aftersales and service. Sales walang alam. Then had several bad experiences whenever I brought it to the casa.

On my last PMS - everything was free! 3 years given by Peugeot but the Service Manager asked for some "for the boys" -- "kahit pang merienda lang sir" They had to put coolant which the service manager said was not part of the free PMS (everything else was, oil etc). So he offered that I pay for the coolant and then the labor he won't course it through Peugeot. Magbigay na lang daw ako. First he ask for 1.5K! Ended up giving 1K.

Been asking for aftersales parts - hoping to spruce it up. Nothing. No reply.

Sa akin sayang lang talaga. Such huge potential. But they service has been such a terrible experience. When I bought into Peugeot with the great experience I had with my Kia service, I was expecting at least the same courtesy from the staff. But in this case, mukang opposite.

Wondering if you have similar experience.