New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JCBalunsat View Post
    AFAIK, the bracketless wipers was introduced by Mercedes. It may be that it is designed for their cars only?
    Slightly OT: If this is true, then it's probably "per application" depending on what car you have. See, MB changed wiper designs a lot. The W114/W115, W108/W109 had the windshield wipers facing each other, while the W116, W126, W107 S-class sedans and coupes/convertibles had "twin wipers" that stayed right beside each other at the middle of the cowl in front of the windshield. They wiped in tandem and this allowed for high speed driving in the rain (the second wiper is not as affected by strong winds so it can still wipe). The W123 was the only wiper with the standard design we have today, surprisingly. The W124, W201, W210, W140 had the mono-wiper design that had a single wiper arm that extended as they reached the windshield corners. I think they added a second wiper for the newer models now, the W211, W220, W221 but not sure anymore.

Anyway my point is MB has been finicky with wipers as they are with designing certain aspects of the cars. It's possible the bracketless (Bosch/Valeo/Michelin/etc) are designed with a particular wiper arm in mind (that can hold it down despite the strong winds).

Getting back on topic our cars in Manila have the bracketless wipers primarily for looks but they're effective din naman. I haven't driven them faster than 100kph in the rain so I can't tell if they're that effective or not, besides with the traffic in Manila it's hard to find a spot to open the throttle. Our cars in the US, however, just have the standard wipers. The W123 has the standard ones and the W124 needs special ones (due to the extension mechanism it has). Our Corolla, on the other hand, just has plain wipers.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    depende siguro sa sasakyan. some cars look good with bracketless, unfortunately mine doesnt so conventional ako. used bosch for sometime and ok naman sya, problema ko lang is yun nag-skip yun bosch. im not sure why. tried everything pero skip pa rin. tried din yun refills and these refills are total waste. wala kasing metal bracket yun wiper blade so kulang yun stiffness nya kaya kahit ambon lang, hindi maka-wipe ng matino. may natitira lagi na tubig sa windshield. recently, i tried yun silicon, mukhang ok sya since hindi na nagskip ang malinis parang bosch yun hagod nya sa windshield. di ko lang alam kung tatagal.... another setback sa silicon is yun price. ,as mahal sya compared to bosch or other good brand wipers.

by the way, meron ba dito naka-try ng graphite? have'nt tried that, kasi mas mahal sya sa bosch or silicon...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    conventional for me, for my car kasi it looks better with the stock

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Conventional wipers ako. Dun na ako sa sigurado.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wipers : Conventional or Bracketless?