New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    nope, replacement timing belts are readily available.

the easiest way would be the way you don't like to do it. just ask them kung meron silang belt for your car since di naman nagbabago yun unless you change the engine.

it's either that or counting the teeth of the existing belt and checking with them kung tama...

usually tho di naman sila nagkakamali

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    add lang ako sa disussion....if ever you will replace your timing belt, replace it with an OEM belt...not a replacement. Sa tensioner bearing OK lang mag replacement ka (Japan...not Taiwan) pero sa timing belt orig palagi para sigurado. Ang price diff lang naman ng orig sa replacement is less a thousand e so why risk it.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    is it necessary to change the tensioner bearing when the belt is replaced? my Haynes manual makes no mention of the bearing. ang mahal mahal din naman kasi nung bearing -- 5500 for OEM, 4500 for replacement.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    orly

kung wala namang ingay pa yung bearing then I think you can get away with not replacing it for the meantime. naging practice ko na din kasi yung palitan yung tensioner bearing sabay sa timing belt para isang labor job na lang rather than risking it na mag-break down then that would entail another labor job.

Replacement tensioner bearing ng ride mo is Php4.5T tapos orig is only 1 grand more? parang sobra yata mahal nung quote mo sa replacement. BTW whats ur ride? Replacement japan tensioner bearings for my ST191 body Toyota is only Php800 while the original one is Php4.750T. laki ng tipid ko.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    meshtype,

actually replacement ranges from 3500 to 4500, while orig ranges from 4800 to 6500 (at rapide). sobrang mahal nga, lahat halos ng parts ng 626 mahal. :P (pero mas mahal pa daw sa honduh accord so i guess count my blessings..)

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    honda accord replacement tensioner bearings are less than or only around 1T i think 3000+ for any replacement part is 2 much. might as well go for orig with only 1T diff.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    as for my honda civic, it requires 80000 kms. although nung pinalitan e serviceable pa yung lumang timing belt. mukhang bago pa nga e. anyway, preventive measures lang naman yun para hindi maputulan kasi kapag naputulan ka ng timing belt, ang laking abala nun. madaming pwdedng masira.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yup. preventative maintenance is done to reduce costs in the long run kahit na gumagastos ka maliit regularly

9. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    There is a "collision" and "non-collision" type of valve gear configuration. "Collision" type engines, the intake and exhaust valves are open only slightly when the piston is at top dead center during valve overlap. The timing of the camshaft and the crankshaft is therefore critical because if the valves are allowed to open more during valve overlap, they will collide with the rising piston, thereby causing extensive damage to the engine.

However, there are also engines that are of the non-collision type. Usually, these are the older or non-performance type OHC engines with lower compression ratios. In these engines, the valves have enough clearance to open fully without hitting the piston in it's highest position in the cylinder. If your timing belt breaks in one of these engines, all you suffer is the inconvenience of a breakdown but nothing more. Once the broken belt is replaced, the engine will be just as it was before, without any damage whatsoever.

When replacing the timing belt, it's standard procedure to also have the front crankshaft oil seal replaced. It's an opportune time to do so, considering the trouble one has to go through in accessing it 10-20,000 kms down the road, after having replaced the timing belt.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i believe it's called "interference type" vs "non-interference type."

for example the Mazda V6 2.5L is non-interference, but the I4 2.0L is interference. yung nga lang, according to a mazda master tech dun sa mazda yahoogroup, wala pa siyang nakitang I4 2.0L na nasira after napatid timing belt.. even though interference type siya..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
when to change timing belt?