New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi. I have a 1978 Mitsubishi Lancer. The starter has a problem so the engine hasn't been run for more than a year now. I couldn't jump start the car because it's parked in a peculiar way (in between two columns/post). The battery is now drained and the radiator has rust particles floating inside it. I am afraid that there are worse things that could have happened as a consequence to letting the car sit for more than a year in the garage. Can you please help me out on what I should instruct the mechanic to do? So far here are the things that are on my list:

1. Change all 4 tires (although the tires were barely used, I bought it more than 5 years ago)

2. Manually make ikot the engine?

Thanks. Selling the car is not an option because it's been with us even before I was born. I hope you guys could help me out. I really feel guilty because I neglected the car for so long.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    medyo malaki laki magagastos mo dyan ah.

a. palit lahat fluids
    b. check/replace all belts
    c. check for leaks
    d. check/replace electricals including battery, alternator, wirings
    e. check/replace tires
    f. full tune-up
    g. check leaks (oil, water, fluids, etc.)
    h. check engine condition/smoke emission

dami pa. sama mo na din car registration, etc.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I have to replace the alternator?

Around how much do you think would I spend? I just need it to run again

It's a good thing I still registered the car even if it wasn't running. heehee.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    medyo malaki laki magagastos mo dyan ah.

a. palit lahat fluids
    b. check/replace all belts
    c. check for leaks
    d. check/replace electricals including battery, alternator, wirings
    e. check/replace tires
    f. full tune-up
    g. check leaks (oil, water, fluids, etc.)
    h. check engine condition/smoke emission

dami pa. sama mo na din car registration, etc.
    if can't have them all done at least have all the fluids replaced, and check for leaks,
    check the timing belt and the plugs

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    How do I get the engine to run first? Can you enumerate the fluids and plugs that I need to replace?

I was told kasi that you can't just run the engine if it's been stalled for more than a year eh

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^ push it off so that you can jumpstart it. and yes, before you start it on, check the oil and the necessary fluids.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Oh No. Big problem. Hirap magtulak ng naka parallel park

Doesn't necessarily mean that the engine is for overhaul na?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny_Lane View Post
    Oh No. Big problem. Hirap magtulak ng naka parallel park

Doesn't necessarily mean that the engine is for overhaul na?
    switch a working-charged battery under the hood. that should take care of the tulak issue.
    being stalled for a while does not automatically equate to engine overhaul.
    my b12 was not used at one point for 2 years.. battery replacement, change oil, palit belts, okay na cia ulet.. LTO registered with the 2 year fine of non-reg, okay na ulet

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    What a relief!!! I was thinking overhaul But before you started the engine you changed all the belts and fluids muna? Sira kasi yung starter kaya kahit ibang battery ayaw pa din umandar. Also the radiator has rust particles? Hindi ba masisira kung i start ko? Saka yung sa Fuel filter pala naisip ko din kasi tagal ng empty ng tank. Natuyo ata yung gas

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hopefully, with the humid environment we have back there, there is minimal rust inside the engine with one or two of the valves left open as the engine was not run for that time frame. You know how it is, valve is open, humidity seeps in, rust forms.

Make sure the fuel is still good, drain the fuel tank muna to be sure. Baka napasukan ng tubig, we don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What To Do: Car Stalled For More Than A Year