New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    636
    #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    they market it as a lubricant and people use it all the time as a lubricant, but end up dissolving the grease on bearings and bushings instead LOL
    Agree, i also thought WD40 was a lubricant before. Kaya pala hindi tumatagal ang lubrication, mga a few weeks lang.
    Ang galing kasi ng name recall.
    Maganit or may kalawang- i-WD40 mo yan! Hehe


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,138
    #72
    Context and application is everything.

    WD40 has grown to include countless other products. But in our case, I believe the thread was about the original "WD40 - Multi-Use Product".

    WD40 is a lubricant... but only under specific use cases. Would you use gear oil in an engine? Gear oil is a lubricant. Engines need lubricant. Again, context and application.

    At most, WD40 Multi-Use is a short-term lubricant, which is perfect for loosening up crusty hinges, tools, and such. Would you use motor oil to dislodge a stuck lug nut?

    In electric fan application, WD40 can help loosen up the sleeve bearings if it's really dried up and stuck. This can prevent scouring the brass sleeves when disassembling the rotor. But it needs a more permanent lubrication designed for the particular interface during assembly.

    I think it's unfair to vilify WD40 if you have misconceptions about its usage.

  3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,622
    #73
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    "misleading marketing."
    "anything to make a buck."

    but perhaps it got this sort-of reputation, because it loosened stuck bolts and joints.
    folks then made the mistaken conclusion that it was a lubricant, "dahil pinadulas ng WD40 yung stuck-up bolts ko".
    and so the legend grew.
    Right! I grew up with that idea not until I started working to learn that it is not a lubricant.

  4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,196
    #74
    Its a penetrant. If you use penetrant, don't forget to replenish the lost lubricant.

  5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,115
    #75
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Its a penetrant. If you use penetrant, don't forget to replenish the lost lubricant.
    use lube to your penetrant for ease of use... hehe

    i only use wd40 to loosen stuck bolts.. also good for cleaning seized parts and removing dirt or gunk.. then apply appropriate lube.

  6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,264
    #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    they market it as a lubricant and people use it all the time as a lubricant, but end up dissolving the grease on bearings and bushings instead LOL
    Exactly. I use it as degreaser sa bike chain. Ginamit ko din siya pang-alis ng adhesive ng polarizer film ng LEV TV.

  7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    43,030
    #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    Attachment 37153
    Finally my bike’s cassettes/cogs/sprockets have been degreased and cleaned. Easy to use lang ito. Foam effect. After a few minutes hose mo lang yun affected parts. No need to brush. wd 40


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    surfing old posts, i saw this.

    then it came to me,
    in the olden days, we would use kerosene (gaas!) to de-grease and clean bicycle chains and other automotive parts.

    when we were kids, dad would teach us to degrease and clean our bicycle chains, using kerosene and paintbrush.
    this activity actually prepared us for the more-daunting acts of degreasing and cleaning our cars' parts later on in life.

  8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,329
    #78
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    surfing old posts, i saw this.

    then it came to me,
    in the olden days, we would use kerosene (gaas!) to de-grease and clean bicycle chains and other automotive parts.

    when we were kids, dad would teach us to degrease and clean our bicycle chains, using kerosene and paintbrush.
    this activity actually prepared us for the more-daunting acts of degreasing and cleaning our cars' parts later on in life.
    Mas mura kasi gaas (kerosene) plus madali pa mag-evaporate kaya ideal for degreasing hehe.

  9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    43,030
    #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Mas mura kasi gaas (kerosene) plus madali pa mag-evaporate kaya ideal for degreasing hehe.
    also,
    back then in the 60s,
    it wasn't available at the generic ABC hardware and electrical store.
    sa PX yata daw sa pampanga meron...
    heh heh.

  10. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    607
    #80
    Sa stockyard ng casa, iyong mga rims/mags may plastic na film/"cling-wrap" para hindi talsikan ng ulan at kalawangin ang disc brakes.

    Puwede kaya spray ng WD40 sa disc brake para same effect? Or may mas okay na spray para dito?

    Sasakyan namin naka open parking. Ngayong tag-ulan puro talsik at makapal na ang kalawang sa disc brakes. Bihira din gamitin, kaya hindi na "sand-off" ang kalawang.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
wd 40