New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guys, how does once know if the engine's water pump is still working? Previous posts said to check if there is water movement sa radiator upon opening the radiator tank cover. Kasi kanina I replaced my thermostat with a new original one as well as my radiator tank cover and I noticed after filling up my radiator with water, the water doesn't seem to be circulating? Parang walang flow. Of course there wouldn't be flow if the thermostat was still closed so I made sure to warm up the engine muna. The thermostat opening was signaled by sudden bubbles coming out of the radiator opening then the water level went down a bit. This meant that the thermostat opened upon hitting the recommended temperature (Thermostat opens at 85C according sa box) thus allowing water entry into the engine block. However as soon as the water level settled na, I couldn't see any water circulation or movement. Hmmm...I've never overheated naman before. As far as I can remember, I haven't changed my water pump yet since we got the in 2000. You think its time to replace it already as a preventive measure? Thanks in advance...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    By the way, no signs of water dripping or weird sounds coming from my water pump.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pards, kasi when the thermostats opened and water began to flow, remember that the water in the radiator is still cold. then add ka pa ng water, cold din yun. so the thermostats closed again. wala flow to the radiator ulit, by-passed ulit yung water back to the engine.

try to observe for a longer time, especially when the fan is running. besides, if the temp gauge does not go up after the required temperature was reached, then it means the cooling system is working properly.

4 years is too early for a water pump replacement. but if you want to be sure, why not just overhaul it. mura lang naman overhauling kit nyan (bearing and mechanical seal + gaskets).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by yebo
    pards, kasi when the thermostats opened and water began to flow, remember that the water in the radiator is still cold. then add ka pa ng water, cold din yun. so the thermostats closed again. wala flow to the radiator ulit, by-passed ulit yung water back to the engine.
    Bro, I added water only before starting the engine when it was still cold. So when the thermostat opened, the water went down a bit pero may level pa natitira wherein if there was circulation, makikita mo yung movement ng water. Pero I didn't see any. Tapos I saw slight smoke coming from the water over the uncovered tank. So that means water from the block has reached the radiator tank na.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hmmmm. this looks like what is happening to my old Feroza. I just bought a thermostat, although not yet installed (no free time yet).

- no over heating, temp is still well in the range since the Feroza came to our house the first time.
    - temp guage does work since there was a time a hose got a puncture about a few months ago. so i know it works.
    - very little motion/flow of water even though its been running about 15 mins.

I did have my water pump replaced about 2-3 years ago, there was noise and some leak. I wish mine is thermostat only.

Siguro its a case of OC? Car works and we still keep on looking for problems. Medyo blurry na ata ang line between PMS and OC ah Sabi nga sa suking talyer, tangalin na lang nating ang thermostat! Hindi naman kailangan iyan eh. doh!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    jkyamog: You said it. Totally agree with you dude.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In my limited time with kalikot ng oto, I have experienced not functioning water pump twice...the first one, the symptoms were a leak sign sa water pump...on the next occasion (different car)....no leak sign pero when I am running very fast (beyond 100kph) or when stuck in traffic (even without aircon), the water temp begins to increase to about 3/4th of the way (pero not on the red mark)...tapos pagnagmenor ka or tumakbo na uli ang oto bilis baba din naman ang temp sa normal level.

What happened in the 2nd scenario was that the waterpump "cyclone" fins were already corroded at napudpud so mas less na force niya to pump the water...

just my 2 cents.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    di kaya barado lang yung radiator??? nagwowork ba yung mga radiator flush sa ganyang situations?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I won't recommend radiator flushes. Better to have the radiator cleaned mura lang naman. If overheating is the problem yes it might be a clogged or leaking radiator/hose or a defective water pump. Checking the water pump is not easy coz' you have to visually check so removal is required. But if the water return hose (from engine to radiator) is warm to touch then ur water pump is ok.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    is it possible na blow by yung engine mo kaya cya nag ooverheat? yung saturn engine ko kasi unusually magalas na ngayon magoverheat. before pag naka aircon lang and pag tanghaling tapat ngayon kahit gabi basta umandar cya for about 30 mins tataas na yung temp.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Water pump condition....How to check if its still working?