New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I read from this web site http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol.html that in brazil, some cars have been modified to run on 100% ethanol. is this really possible? I know in the states that there are some gas stations that mix 85% ethanol with 15% gasoline which results to a lower fuel price for those who use this mixture. But is it really possible to modify an engine to use 100%? this really got me thinking..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm13
    I read from this web site http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol.html that in brazil, some cars have been modified to run on 100% ethanol. is this really possible? I know in the states that there are some gas stations that mix 85% ethanol with 15% gasoline which results to a lower fuel price for those who use this mixture. But is it really possible to modify an engine to use 100%? this really got me thinking..

it is possible to use 100% ethanol but the engine will need to be modified. And there is still the problem of premature engine wear.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Though what causes engine wear? Is ethanol that corrosive? Or are our engines tuned improperly to run on it?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Though what causes engine wear? Is ethanol that corrosive? Or are our engines tuned improperly to run on it?
    not corrosive... more of abrassive.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    May be or sana R&D expert will discover/invented additives for ethanol to reduce this abrrasive effect. Just lead in gasoline although it was proven that lead is dangerouos to health, sana in the near future additives for ethanol will be human friendly.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    well hopefully madevelop na tong ethanol. it wont only help us healthwise, but also economically since we can produce our own ethanol..wag lang sana harangin ng gov't..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There is a problem about ethanol... although it will save us money making our own fuel, it actually requires more energy to make ethanol.

is using 100% ethanol in todays cars really possible?